New Monitor and Graphics Card (budget 1.5 lakh)

Aesir

Broken In
I have a decent setup already with a GTX 680, i5 2500k OCed to 4.6 Ghz.

But I am looking to upgrade after having this setup for 2.5 years. Games in mind are Crysis 3, Witcher 3, GTA 5 etc.

Specs required:
Monitor:
120 + Hz is a must
Size anything above or equal to 24 inches
Resolution: I am fine with 1080p, but 1440p is welcome too. Only problem I think will be inability to maintain 120hz frame rate at this resolution. Or will it be okay to game at 1080 resolution on a 1440p monitor?

How does the ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift look? Availability in India?

Graphics card:
Any card/s that can justify the monitor and hold good for 2 years.

GTX 980 seems like a good upgrade? Only dilemma is about waiting for 980Ti, and whether I should just Sli 2 970s instead of one 980?

Will buy online, assemble myself, can wait 1-2 months.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] can help you with monitors

Also a single 970 is only ok on 1440p , so SLI 3 of them(the max you can do) if you want 120FPS. Also post your whole rig, it'd make it easy to help you.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I would like to mention one thing. in 144Hz monitor the colors looks horrendous. I have a Benq XL2411Z and I haven't been able to calibrate it properly. if you are looking for good color reporduction then you have to consider IPS Panel.

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] can help you with monitors

Also a single 970 is only ok on 1440p , so SLI 3 of them(the max you can do) if you want 120FPS. Also post your whole rig, it'd make it easy to help you.

But Sli has problems of its own doesn't it? Doesn't work well with all games/ microstutter etc, also might not work with the Gsync if I get the Asus Rog monitor which kind of beats the whole purpose of a 144 hz monitor.

I'm thinking 1 980 now and sell it 1 year later to get a 980 Ti or something, viable?

Rest of my rig is:
ASUS Maximus V GENE Motherboard
i5 2500k oced to 4.6
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650 Watts PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB x 2

I would like to mention one thing. in 144Hz monitor the colors looks horrendous. I have a Benq XL2411Z and I haven't been able to calibrate it properly. if you are looking for good color reporduction then you have to consider IPS Panel.

The refresh rate shouldn't affect the color, how does that happen? Are you sure it's not just because of improper calibration and because its TN panel?
Unfortunately practically no 144hz IPS monitors are out right now, except the Korean ones, which is also an option but seems risky because quality issues and difficulty to return.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
But Sli has problems of its own doesn't it? Doesn't work well with all games/ microstutter etc, also might not work with the Gsync if I get the Asus Rog monitor which kind of beats the whole purpose of a 144 hz monitor.

I'm thinking 1 980 now and sell it 1 year later to get a 980 Ti or something, viable?

Rest of my rig is:
ASUS Maximus V GENE Motherboard
i5 2500k oced to 4.6
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB x 2

The refresh rate shouldn't affect the color, how does that happen? Are you sure it's not just because of improper calibration and because its TN panel?
Unfortunately practically no 144hz IPS monitors are out right now, except the Korean ones, which is also an option but seems risky because quality issues and difficulty to return.
I mentioned 144Hz because currently only TN Panels are available that can handle such refresh rates. trust me I have tried caliberating a lot. games look ok, but movies there is massive banding even after numerous caliberation. search for banding issue in 144Hz monitors and you will see. this is one point when get left out by people recomending gaming monitors. I recomend you to take a actual demo of the monitor (if available) or check with any of your friends who have a 144Hz monitor.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku

I'm thinking 1 980 now and sell it 1 year later to get a 980 Ti or something, viable

Yes it has, but its mostly solved later on through driver updates.
No point in getting a 980 then a 980Ti next year. Get 970 and play at ~40 FPS IMO then later on sell 970 amd get 980Ti if you want.

Also I think you may need to change the PSU.

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
Yes it has, but its mostly solved later on through driver updates.
No point in getting a 980 then a 980Ti next year. Get 970 and play at ~40 FPS IMO then later on sell 970 amd get 980Ti if you want.

Also I think you may need to change the PSU.

That's the whole dilemma, I wanted a 970 too but 40 fps isn't going to cut it lol. I want to see 120 fps in action right now!! I think I will go with a single 980, PSU can handle it.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
That's the whole dilemma, I wanted a 970 too but 40 fps isn't going to cut it lol. I want to see 120 fps in action right now!! I think I will go with a single 980, PSU can handle it.

Whats with the 120FPS thing? :l
also I don't think a single 980 will give you 120FPS i latest games @ 1440p

OP
A

Aesir

Broken In
Whats with the 120FPS thing? :l
also I don't think a single 980 will give you 120FPS i latest games @ 1440p

Haha. 120 fps looks much smoother and natural to me. I have played on a 120 hz monitor before and think its the logical step forward because I want this new monitor to last atleast 5 years. Now when I look at 60 fps I feel like something's missing and the motion could be more fluid. inb4 human eye can only see 60fps

I know one 980 won't cut it, but hopefully I can get 80s 90s frame rates in most games and unfortunately I don't have any other option at the moment because the 980 is the single best card right now. If the 980Ti was coming out soon I could wait but its speculated for 2016, and I'm reluctant to use Sli because of microstutter complaints.

Also, I heard mention of a GTX 990 coming out in 1st half of this year. Might wait for it.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
2X 970s will give you much better VFM than 1X 980.. you might want to consider that 2X 970 costs about the same as a single 980

A

amit.tiger12

I want to recommend you 2 X 970 gpu only.. will be great... or get this..
ASUS announces R9 295X2 graphics card in India, priced at Rs 1,30,000 | Digit.in
but it's too costly...
for remaining 95K...
1400 dollar but i don't know about india availability if you can ship then get below 1200$ laptops from list below..

Best Computer Monitors 2015 - Gaming, Business and UHD

Top Bottom