New laptop purchase. Immediate help required!

blackj

Right off the assembly line
I apologize in advance for the extremely long post but I request you to please bear with me as i'm in a tight spot.
I had previously purchased a vaio ( SVE15115EN ) with configurations

15 in screen ( don't really care about the screen size but I do need a full size keyboard ie with a number pad )
2nd gen i3 - 2370M @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB ram
500 GB HDD @ 5400 rpm
AMD RADEON HD 7650 M 1 GB

but within a span of two years i had to replace it's LCD ( cost me 10K ), hard disk ( cost me 8K ) and now I have to replace it's motherboard ( approx cost 25K ), hinge ( approx 6K ), keyboard (approx 6K) and GPU ( did not get an estimate for that ).

Bear in mind that this is after I took incredibly good care of it ( was never dropped or manhandled and was regularly cleaned and inspected to ensure that no heating problems arise ).

I've decided to buy a new laptop instead.

I want a system that performs similar to or better than the one mentioned above.
Along with that I would also prefer if the brand has good build quality and after sales service as I don't want to go through the terrible experience I had with SONY again.

Looking at the brands dell seems to be a good choice particularly with it's accidental damage protection.

I have the following questions :

1) Is the build quality of dell laptops good?
2) Is the accidental damage protection really as good as they make it sound or is there some catch?
3) If so can it be extended like a normal warranty or is it valid only for a year?
4) They provide fourth gen i5-4200 U (1.6 GHz upto 2.6 GHz). Is it any good?
5) There are quite a few models on flipkart that have better configurations but they are not listed on the dell website.
Is it okay to buy from them or will I be suffering later on?
6) If so should I buy one that has a 4th gen i5 ULV or a 3rd gen i5 M series?
7) Are there any other laptops you would like to suggest?
I will be using it mainly for programming ( using power hungry tools like MySQL, ORACLE DB, MATLAB, VISUAL STUDIO etc.) and also for some gaming ( FIFA, Skyrim, etc.)

My bugdet is around 45K ( can stretch it up to 50K max ).
Please keep in mind that I really require that the laptops be durable and the after sales service of the brand be good as I intend to keep it for 3-4 years and do not wish to spend a lot of money on repairs and replacements.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I apologize in advance for the extremely long post but I request you to please bear with me as i'm in a tight spot.
I had previously purchased a vaio ( SVE15115EN ) with configurations

15 in screen ( don't really care about the screen size but I do need a full size keyboard ie with a number pad )
2nd gen i3 - 2370M @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB ram
500 GB HDD @ 5400 rpm
AMD RADEON HD 7650 M 1 GB

but within a span of two years i had to replace it's LCD ( cost me 10K ), hard disk ( cost me 8K ) and now I have to replace it's motherboard ( approx cost 25K ), hinge ( approx 6K ), keyboard (approx 6K) and GPU ( did not get an estimate for that ).

Bear in mind that this is after I took incredibly good care of it ( was never dropped or manhandled and was regularly cleaned and inspected to ensure that no heating problems arise ).

I've decided to buy a new laptop instead.

I want a system that performs similar to or better than the one mentioned above.
Along with that I would also prefer if the brand has good build quality and after sales service as I don't want to go through the terrible experience I had with SONY again.

Looking at the brands dell seems to be a good choice particularly with it's accidental damage protection.

I have the following questions :

1) Is the build quality of dell laptops good?
2) Is the accidental damage protection really as good as they make it sound or is there some catch?
3) If so can it be extended like a normal warranty or is it valid only for a year?
4) They provide fourth gen i5-4200 U (1.6 GHz upto 2.6 GHz). Is it any good?
5) There are quite a few models on flipkart that have better configurations but they are not listed on the dell website.
Is it okay to buy from them or will I be suffering later on?
6) If so should I buy one that has a 4th gen i5 ULV or a 3rd gen i5 M series?
7) Are there any other laptops you would like to suggest?
I will be using it mainly for programming ( using power hungry tools like MySQL, ORACLE DB, MATLAB, VISUAL STUDIO etc.) and also for some gaming ( FIFA, Skyrim, etc.)

My bugdet is around 45K ( can stretch it up to 50K max ).
Please keep in mind that I really require that the laptops be durable and the after sales service of the brand be good as I intend to keep it for 3-4 years and do not wish to spend a lot of money on repairs and replacements.

1. Not as good as Lenovo but still good enough.
2.Never tried to "accidentally" damage my Dell laptop.
3.Valid for only a year.
4.Nope. Very poor performance.
5.Buy from offline shops preferably.
6.3rd gen core i5 M anyday.(provides 2x performance of core i5 U 4th gen).
7.I wouldn't suggest anything but Lenovo Z510. Solid build quality+very good after sales service by Lenovo.

OP
B

blackj

Right off the assembly line
1. Not as good as Lenovo but still good enough.
2.Never tried to "accidentally" damage my Dell laptop.
3.Valid for only a year.
4.Nope. Very poor performance.
5.Buy from offline shops preferably.
6.3rd gen core i5 M anyday.(provides 2x performance of core i5 U 4th gen).
7.I wouldn't suggest anything but Lenovo Z510. Solid build quality+very good after sales service by Lenovo.

Thank you for the quick reply.
Just a few other things I would like to clear up:

What exactly does the standard warranty cover ( since my VAIO never gave me problems during the warranty period and I didn't purchase the extended warranty ). The website's description of hardware warranty says that they ensure that "the equipment is free of defects in workmanship" which sounds like they do not cover things that damage due to normal wear and tear like hinges and keyboards. If so is a standard hardware warranty adequate?

Secondly, just to clear things up, when you say that the accidental damage protection lasts only a year do you mean that I cannot even purchase an extension?

Thirdly, I was trying to use flipkart as an example. What I meant was is it okay to buy a model from a store ( online or offline ) that is not listed on their website or will I have to deal with some B.S. afterwards ( in terms of support )?

Top Bottom