New high-end desktop configuration

stanzlavos

Broken In
Hi All

I am building a new desktop. Major use : gaming, photo editing (lightroom/photoshop/zerene stacker), and maybe some Matlab as well. And I will be definitely overclocking. Please provide your inputs :

Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 2011-v3 i7 5820K
---- UPDATE: Concluded that the the small improvement in performance (if any) got from the 5930K is not justified by its price difference from the 5820K. Also, the 5960X is almost 3 times the price of a 5820K and looks like for my purpose (gaming/photo editing/no too extensive matlab), it would be an overkill.

Asus Rampage V Extreme
---- Have a few other cheaper options. Should I stick to this ?
---- I think this has inbuilt fan controller that can be used to control the liquid cooler fans as well ?

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 F4-2800C15Q-32GRBB 32GB
---- UPDATE: Moved down from 64GB. Should I go for the 3000Mhz ones ?

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB SLI OR Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GB DDR5 SLI
---- UPDATE : Concluded that it would be better to wait for the GTX1080/GTX1070 to be available. Also, a few new CPUs are in the pipeline as well ?

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D (Mid) OR
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D (Full) OR
---- Mid or Full tower ? As I understand, these should be able to fit the CPU cooler easily. Slightly inclined towards to 750D.

Corsair RMx Series RM750X - 750 Watt
---- UPDATE: Moved down from 1000W. Even with SLI, I guess 750W would suffice.

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (OS)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Games & Apps)
WD Black WD4003FZEX 4TB (Storage)

---- Maybe I could use a 128GBfor the OS ?

Cooler Master Nepton 240 M Cooler OR
Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 360 AIO Cooler OR
NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 Liquid CPU Cooling OR
Corsair H100i Cooler OR
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme
---- Slightly inclined to the Deepcool for the red fans, rubberized fan frames and the looks of the pump (with LED) :D It also comes with a fan hub.

LG 24MP77 24 Inch LED FHD IPS Monitor
---- Will move to a 1440P display if budget permits.

The budget comes to around 230K (INR) (close to 3400 USD).

Now, I am planning on this assembling myself (my first complete assembly !!!). So, apart from your opinion about the configuration itself I would also need you guys to tell me if everything here would fit in properly. :)

* The ASUS Rampage Mobo should have the required number of ports for the fans I suppose (that is what I understood)
* The power supply should easily fit into the 750D or 450D ?
* Same question regarding the Liquid cooler radiator ?
* Same question regarding the graphics cards ?
* Should I take out the thermal compound that comes on the Liquid cooler ?
* IC Diamon "7 carrot" OR Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound ?
* Any of you happen to know any good vendor in Bangalore who might give me a good discount ? :D

Awaiting inputs from all of you.

Regards
Nubin Stanley

Last edited:

yasho2249

Broken In
When are you gonna buy this?? The 1080 is releasing in a week I guess in the USA soo I guess will be in India in June. It performs better than a titan. Should cost around 55k but not sure on that. Also not all games support sli soo you are better of with one card

OP
S

stanzlavos

Broken In
When are you gonna buy this?? The 1080 is releasing in a week I guess in the USA soo I guess will be in India in June. It performs better than a titan. Should cost around 55k but not sure on that. Also not all games support sli soo you are better of with one card

Well, as soon as possible. If it costs around 50K and performs better than two 970 in SLI, I could consider it. But :
* I don't want to wait that long
* For higher res displays, I guess the GTX970 SLI would perform better ?
* It looks better (dumb, but still ;) )

yasho2249

Broken In
Here's the build: Intel Core i7-5930K, MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti, NZXT S340 (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker Indi

It's the same cpu
The mobo is a cheaper choice but gets the job done
Don't know much about coolers and don't care much about looks soo just went with the most popular liquid cooler.
I don't think you need 64gb ram. 32gb is more than enough I think. Go with 2400mhz or higher. You can further overclock it
120gb just for os is enough. Else is how you like
I don't know why you want an sli config. The aren't that effect on mid or lower range cards and sli isn't supported by some games. A single card will be the best choice. Get it 1080 if you can wait(highly recommended). If not get the 980ti. Both should be similar cost wise.
The 1080's wattage is 180w soo you are fine with a 750W psu.
I like that case. You can get any other if you wish too
About the monitor, I don't understand why would anyone use a 1080 or even 970sli for a 1080p display. This one is a 1440p display which the 980ti or 1080 should handle with ease. Even a bit 4k.

Prices are from various sites but you should get similar or lower cost offline

OP
S

stanzlavos

Broken In
Here's the build: Intel Core i7-5930K, MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti, NZXT S340 (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker Indi

It's the same cpu
The mobo is a cheaper choice but gets the job done
Don't know much about coolers and don't care much about looks soo just went with the most popular liquid cooler.
I don't think you need 64gb ram. 32gb is more than enough I think. Go with 2400mhz or higher. You can further overclock it
120gb just for os is enough. Else is how you like
I don't know why you want an sli config. The aren't that effect on mid or lower range cards and sli isn't supported by some games. A single card will be the best choice. Get it 1080 if you can wait(highly recommended). If not get the 980ti. Both should be similar cost wise.
The 1080's wattage is 180w soo you are fine with a 750W psu.
I like that case. You can get any other if you wish too
About the monitor, I don't understand why would anyone use a 1080 or even 970sli for a 1080p display. This one is a 1440p display which the 980ti or 1080 should handle with ease. Even a bit 4k.

Prices are from various sites but you should get similar or lower cost offline

Well... WoW... Thank you for spending your time on this. :)

1) I might go to a 5820K and save some money.
2) With that money, I guess I could afford the ASUS Rampage V ? :D I liked it and have some extra perks.
3) I would still want to keep 64GB. Have read/seen Photo/Video editing apps user more memory and get tasks done faster. :) If everything out gets finalized and I get tight on the budget, I could go down on this I guess. The Corsairs you have added are better than the GSkills ?
4) OK. 120GB sounds good for the OS.
5) Read a lot on SLI. Lot of mixed stuff. Anyhow, for higher res, SLIed cards would scale better I guess. And with the new cards and DirectX12, it seems to be getting better. I think I will end up getting two 1070s. ;)
6) 750W might be enough. Shouldn't fall short, that's all. :) 1000W was for SLI and kinda future proofing. I don't want to get a new PSU down the line. :)
7) Think I will go with one of the Corsair cases. :D
8) The FHD display was purely a budget based decision. :p Lemme see... If the the budget permits, I will go with the 1440P one.

I still hope someone points me to a good vendor in Bangalore. :D Or I might end up buying from different places and making a mess of stuff !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Updates in the first post. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All

I guess I have enough inputs (from this as well as other forums). :) I am not sure how exactly to close this thread (couldn't find a way to mark it as "solved" or something). I guess I will try to edit the title of the thread. :) Thanks to all of you. :)

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
Well, as soon as possible. If it costs around 50K and performs better than two 970 in SLI, I could consider it.
According to nvidia 1080 performs better than two 980SLI not just two 970SLI.

But they never mentioned what they were actually measuring.
But as the claims of nvidia for pascal have stood right.
I wont be too skeptic.
So 100% wait for 1080 over 970SLI

Top Bottom