New Desktop for running SQL Express 2008 R2

shivamamin

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I would be using this desktop to run Microsoft SQL Express 2008 & an application which is used by doctors (my dad) to store patient information. The SQL express is used to maintain the database and 4 other client machines will be connected to this desktop using a gigabyte Ethernet cable. I am currently using an i3 (1[SUP]st [/SUP] / 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gen processor) since the past 3 years and want to upgrade to something faster and importantly reliable.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I do not want to spend more than 18-20k on the mobo+proc since I do not think anything on a higher budget is required. Also, the budget for cabinet, power supply & DVD drive is 8k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Professional x64

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have already purchased “2” WD RE4 – 500GB hard drives from USA which I will be configuring in a RAID 1 setup.
6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I currently have a View Sonic LED monitor which supports 1366x768.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have purchased “2” WD RE4 – 500 GB hard drives, 8GB Corsair Vengence Kit (4 + 4) both from USA

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In 1 week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built several desktops in the past for my personal use & for family/friends.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I stay at very near to Lamington Road. But I do not mind buying from online retailers like Flipkart/Snapdeal.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am wondering whether SQL 2008 Express would perform better on an Core i5 processor or an AMD A10-6800k processor? If AMD will have a better performance then I may prefer AMD but I want the experts to comment on this!
Also, is Corsair Thunder 450W a good power supply?

I was thinking of this combo, but again please suggest considering SQL performance with Intel v/s AMD:

AMD A10 6800k ( although I do not need any graphics so please suggest)
Gigabyte F2A85X-D3H

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel i5 4570 @14000

Gigabyte H87-d3h @7300

Nzxt gamma cabinet @2300

Asus dvd 24x @1000

Antec vp450p @2900

Stores at lamington :

1)Primeagbg

2)It-wares

OP
S

shivamamin

Broken In
A10 6800k is no way close to i5's performance.i5 4570 is much faster than a10

Thanks!

Also, will the motherboard you suggested have a good life in terms of capacitor quality? Is Asus H87-PLUS a better board?

I need something that will last long!

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Thanks!

Also, will the motherboard you suggested have a good life in terms of capacitor quality? Is Asus H87-PLUS a better board?

I need something that will last long!

Gigabyte mobos uses solid capacitors and have very good quality.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
if you can get asus h87 plus, then get that. build quality may be little higher than that of gigabyte.

Top Bottom