NETWORKING PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool_techie

Broken In
Guys i have a laptop (toshiba satelite series quite old :-( )

Laptop doesnt hava lan port loaded with windows 98
i have a intel(845 mother board pc ) loaded with win xp
i have serial cable

i want to know how to connect my desktop with my serial cable to my laptop

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
although 2 computers can be connected via a serial cable, this method is not recommended because its just too slow.
its easier to buy a usb to ethernet cable and connect the 2 comps (im assuming your laptop has usb ports)

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Hi cool_techie,

Alternatively, if your Toshiba notebook has a PCMCIA slot, you could go that route using a PCMCIA ethernet adaptor. If there is a USB port on the notebook -- there is the USB-ethernet adaptor. In both cases, you would finally get that RJ45 to do the traditional 10Mbps/100Mbps networking using Cat5 cabling.

Actually, maybe even a wireless PCMCIA?? I would call that some upgrade from serial cable to wireless!

@drvarunmehta/others Has anyone used these USB to Ethernet cables? How do they perform? What about USB to USB using some ?special adaptors? Anyone done that. I would love to know more about them.

Thanks,

DH

OP
C

cool_techie

Broken In
My notebook has a usb port .

Now how do i get a usb to ethernet adapter....is it just by crimping one end with usb and other with ethernet .....i amnovice in networking

please help me out

technoteen

Journeyman
you can get a usb to ethernet adapter at any hardware shop,
then you can use the Rj45 cable to connect to your pc (you will need to get a ethernet card installed on your pc as well if you dont have it onboard)

well you can install a serial to serial connection by just plugging in the serial cable on both the machines and usig the inbuilt windows opiton for serial to serial link

digen

Youngling
Its a adapter pal.Looks something similar to this
*img166.exs.cx/img166/5184/usb20ethadap5vc.th.jpg
Dude just go to a computer dealer store & ask for a usb to ethernet adapter.
No idea about how much it should cost you.Also get a cat5 cable crimped with rj45 connectors at either end.
But after you've progressed with your hardware take a look here for getting a fair idea about USB Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom