Networking between Windows 7 and Windows XP

Hi!

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate personal PC, 2 Windows XP work rigs and a Windows 8 laptop. Thanks to the home group facility in win 7,8 I was able to easily transfer,stream files between the laptop and the PC.

I want to bring this functionality to windows xp also. But it is very confusing, especially because of the difference in networking windows xp and windows 7. Please help me do this.

Also , change of the os to win 7 is not possible it is for office use. Please keep this in mind and post.

Thanks in Advance,

Shiva

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all make sure you have xp admin account with password when sharing with win 7/8.
Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you follow the guide i posted above exactly?also just to check in xp go to control panel---user account & make sure your account type is administrator.

yes. untitled.jpg

Shiva

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what error are you getting exactly?also did you try turning off windows 7 firewall/any other firewall.when you do the networking run ipconfig /all in command prompt on both systems to check both pc have similar ip address(like 192.168.1.x,subnet 255.255.255.0 & gateway 192.168.1.1)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are doing something wrong.you should be prompted for your username/password first when accessing xp from win7 or win7 from xp.make sure you have enabled password protected sharing in win7 advanced networking options.

Top Bottom