Status
Not open for further replies.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Anyone know how to do direct pc connection with crossover ethernet cables. Need to transfer files from Vista Home Premium laptop to Windows XP SP2 desktop. I dont need internet sharing or printer sharing.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
adithyagenius said:
Anyone know how to do direct pc connection with crossover ethernet cables. Need to transfer files from Vista Home Premium laptop to Windows XP SP2 desktop. I dont need internet sharing or printer sharing.

follow the procedure told by chota cheeta in the beginning .... procedure is same for vista xp also.

sabret00the

Youngling
To create a workgroup in Microsoft® Windows® XP, perform the following steps:-

*docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc810/note.gifNOTE: Verify network connectivity by using the Ping Command before attempting to create a workgroup.
  1. Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
    The Control Panel window appears.
  2. Click Performance and Maintenance.
    The Performance and Maintenance window appears.
  3. Click System.
    The System Properties window appears.
  4. Click the Computer Name tab.
    The Computer Name window appears.
  5. Click the Change button, which is located in the bottom right corner of the window.
  6. Under the Workgroup field, type the workgroup name.
  7. Restart the computer.
*support.dell.com/us/en/kb/doc_images/10568785.gifNOTICE: It is not possible to have a computer set for workgroup networking and domain networking. If domain networking is setup on the computer and it is used in a Domain networking environment, this should not be altered. Altering this can cause the system not to log on to the domain.
*docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc810/note.gifNOTE: When assigning a Workgroup Name it is advised to change from the default name for network security purposes. The default is usually MSHome or Workgroup. This name can be changed to any single alphanumeric word; spaces and special symbols should be avoided. Examples of proper workgroup names might be ourhomenetwork, bobnet, 123net, etc. This name is not case sensitive.

Enable Simple File Sharing
  1. Click the Start button and click My Computer.
  2. Click Tools and click Folder Options from the drop down list.
    The Folder Options window appears.
  3. Click the View tab. (Figure 1).
    The View window appears.
  4. Under Advanced Settings, scroll to the bottom of the list and select Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended).
  5. Click Apply, and then click OK.
*dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Network/Simple%20File%20Sharing%20XP.bmp

Installing Client for Microsoft® Networks For Windows® XP

Perform the following steps to install the Client for Microsoft Networks component. If this component is already listed, proceed to the next section.
*dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Applications/Note.gifNOTE:The Client for Microsoft Networks component is installed by default. However, if it has been removed, you may need to reinstall it.
  • Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
    The Control Panel window appears.
  • Double-click the Network Connections icon.
*dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Applications/Note.gifNOTE:If you do not see the Network Connection icon, click Switch to Classic View to expand the list of viewable icons.
  1. Right-click the network connection that you are using and then left-click Properties.
  2. Click Install.
  3. Click Client, and then click Add.
  4. Click Client for Microsoft Networks and then click the OK button.
  5. Click Close.
Enable the Guest Account in Microsoft Windows XP.

To enable the Guest account in Microsoft® Windows® XP, perform the following steps:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    The Run window appears.
  2. Type Command in the Open box.
  3. Click OK.
    The Command Prompt window appears.
  4. At the command prompt, type net user guest /active:yes and press the <Enter> key.
  5. Press the <Enter> key.
    The message Command Completed Successfully appears.
  6. Type Exit.
  7. Press the <Enter> key.
  8. Restart the computer.
Share a hard drive in Microsoft® Windows XP without running the Nework Setup Wizard.

To share a hard drive without running the Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP, perform the following steps:
*dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Applications/Note.gifNOTE: When 10 or more systems in a network simultaneously connect to a system being used as a file server running Microsoft Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 Professional or XP, only 10 systems will be able to connect at any one time. This is due to a limitation in Microsoft Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 Professional and XP. Also, the connection will automatically disconnect after 15 minutes of inactivity to allow other active systems to connect.
  1. Right-click the Start button and then click Explore.
    The Start Menu window opens.
  2. In the pane on the left find the hard drive you wish to share.
  3. Right-click the hard drive, then click Properties.
    The Hard Drive properties window appears.
  4. Click the Sharing tab.
  5. Click If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here (Figure 1).
    *dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Network/File%20and%20printing%20share%20notice%20before%20network%20wizard.JPG
    Figure 1 - Sharing Tab.
  6. Click If you understand the security risks but want to share files without running the wizard, click here (Figure 2).
    *dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Network/File%20and%20printing%20share%20notice%20confirmation%20before%20network%20wizard.JPG
    Figure 2 - File sharing confirmation.
  7. Select Just enable file sharing, then click OK (Figure 3).
    *dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Applications/just%20enable%20file%20sharing.JPG
    Figure 3 - Enable File Sharing.
  8. Click to check Share this folder on the network and Allow Other Users to Change My files (Figure 4).
    *dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Network/Windows%20XP%20Disk%20Drive%20sharing.JPG
    Figure 4 - Sharing configuration.
  9. In the Share name field, type a name for the share.
  10. Click Apply, then click OK.
    The Hard Drive properties window closes.
Share a Hard Drive or folder in Microsoft® Windows® XP after running the Network Setup Wizard.

To share a hard drive or folder in Microsoft® Windows® XP after running the Network Setup Wizard, perform the following steps:
*dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Applications/Note.gifNOTE: When 10 or more systems in a network simultaneously connect to a system being used as a file server running Microsoft Windows 98, Millennium Edition (Me), 2000 Professional, XP, or Windows NT®, only 10 systems will be able to connect at any one time. This is due to a limitation in Windows 98, Me, 2000 Professional, XP, and Windows NT. Also, the connection will automatically disconnect after 15 minutes of inactivity to allow other active systems to connect.
  1. Right-click the Start button and then click Explore.
    The Start Menu window opens.
  2. In the pane on the left, find the hard drive or folder you wish to share.
  3. Right-click the hard drive or folder and click Properties.
    The Hard Drive or Folder properties window appears.
  4. Click the Sharing tab.
    The Sharing window appears.
  5. Click to check Share this folder on the network and Allow network users to change my files (Figure 1).
    *dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Network/Windows%20XP%20Disk%20Drive%20sharing.JPG
    Figure 1 - Sharing Configuration
  6. In the Share name field, type a name for the share.
  7. Click Apply, then click OK.
    The Hard Drive or Folder properties window closes.

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Norton Internet Security crapware was preventing me from networking. Uninstalled it and now it works fine. Sharing is so irritating vista. I had to try different techniques for different folders.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Chota Cheeta said:
Now u have to turn on the File and Printer Sharing, u may do it manually or through Windows Wizered... i would say for new comer, use the wizerd :grin:

how to do it manually. ?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^^^

Not much difficult you see, as suppose in a New Windows XP system where you have not yes asigned network values, if you Go to Sharing tab of a Directory of Drive, it would look like this,

*img106.imageshack.us/img106/3341/62393738nu6.jpg

So Now click the text says, "If you understand the risk..... Click here"....

Now it should show you this, Windows Next...

*img254.imageshack.us/img254/2033/11353521lw9.jpg

Once again Click, text says, "If you understand the ... click here"

Once you click it, Windows will offer you this window to Enable the File and Printer Share Manually...

*img232.imageshack.us/img232/5427/92361874de0.jpg

:D

JohnephSi

GONNA GET ALL OF YOU
I have made the setting bt when i go view workgroup computers it says mshome is not acessible ...... .Plz help me to connect lan between my laptop n pc.

when i go view workgroup computers it says

wg is not acessible.You might not have permisssion to use this network resource.contact the administrator of this server to find out if u have acess permissios.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Plz help me

Last edited:

sabret00the

Youngling
^^ do you have the same kind of firewall on both the computers or do you have two conflicting kind of firewalls like mcafee on one and norton on the other?

I suggest you turn of third party firewalls and turn off windows firewall as well...further assuming that you have run the network setup wizard on both the systems I feel you should be able to find the computers on the network.

Last edited:

JohnephSi

GONNA GET ALL OF YOU
The problem is th two network signals on the takbar does not highlight.

mean for not finding the computers.Can i check whether ive found the computers or not.How to send files n play lan games

Last edited:

sabret00the

Youngling
^^^ as choto said

do the following

start - run - type "CMD" hit enter

then type "ipconfig" hit enter on the black window that appears

do this for both the computers

check if the default gateway for both are same or not...if not then then are not on the same network...

usually in a private network it'll be like 192.168.x.1 or 172.x.x.1 or 10.x.x1 etc

Now that u have both the ip addressess from both the computers

for eg.say ip address of PC1 is 192.168.1.100
ip address of PC1 is 192.168.1.101
default gateway of both the PCs is 192.168.1.1

on the black command prompt windows of PC1 type "ping 192.168.1.101"
and on the black command prompt windows of PC2 type "ping 192.168.1.100"

check if the ping statistics is send =4 received =4 loss 0%
then both are pinging and if loss is anything but 0% then there is a firewall or configuration issue...

JohnephSi

GONNA GET ALL OF YOU
Do u mean that pcs cannot b connected if firewall is on.

Choto Cheeta said:
^^^

Ping the Computer !!

I man run command, Ping computer_name -t see if it is getting any response or not !!!

After pinging the computer will the two network signals highlight.

Last edited:

govindeconn

HD4850 is hottt!!
hi guys i have two comps at home one running vista the other xp, i successfully shared a bsnl broadband connection between them using a 8port lan switch , the internet works fine but i need to share files and printer between them pls tell me the step by step procedure for it! and yeah i use comodo firewall in both systems.

One more thing, my friends wanna bring their laptops for gaming via lan , wat would i have to do if i were to include their laptops in the network and be able to game??

:)

satyamy

Alive Again...
@Choto_Cheeta

Very Nice explanation
should be in "Tutorial Sections" for newbie to get it easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom