Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Guys……
I am Newbie to Network Neighborhood…………..
I want to transfer all the data from a laptop to my PC………….
So please explain me how can I do that……….Whts r the things required……..and so on……………..
Thnks In Advance……..
Ron

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
For just 2 Computer Networking here is what u would need

Hardware :

Network adaptor (LAN Port or card) in Both system
One CAT5 Cable with 2 RJ45 JACK, punched in Cross format, (Just ask any computer vendor)

Software

What OS are u running Windows XP SP2 may be ??
LAN drivers Installed in both system
For new commer i would suggest keep any (Windows or ur Internet Security software) Firewall turned off !!!!

Software Configuration

After you have pluged the Cable in Both system... do thi for both system but just change the IP (when needed)....

Go to Network Connections, there Right Click on the Available Connection (may be Local Area Connection), Click Properties,

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/01.JPG

Now there Scroll downl to option Internet Protocol TCP/IP then Properties, now enter IP as follows,

System One (may be ur Desktop)

IP Address : 192.168.0.1
Subnet : 255.255.255.0

Leave rest of the fields blank

System 2 (may be ur Lappy)

IP Address : 192.168.0.xx (any number up to 255 and apart from 0/1 i would give 2)
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Default Getway : 192.168.0.1

Leave rest of the fields blank

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/02.JPG

Now u have to turn on the File and Printer Sharing, u may do it manually or through Windows Wizered... i would say for new comer, use the wizerd :D

Go to Network Connections, now at left pannel, Click Setup Office and Home Network :)

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/03.JPG

IT will launch the Wizerd, now click Next couple of time u land here,

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/04.JPG

now as u havent wrote ur Internet options so, i suppose u chose the Middle option, which is marked in the image :)

Click Next to name the Computer and Description :)

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/05.JPG

Now for the Desktop Give Nanem C1 and for Lappy its C2 note, u may name them any thing u want but with short name they are easy to access :)

Click Next to provie a Workd Group name, Note u should to enter same name in both System :), in my case i gave them name WG

:D

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/06.JPG

Now clicking next, wizerd will give option to turn on the file and Printer shareing...

Enable them... now u would need to click next couple of time, and later on, finish the wizerd...

Now in both system, Go to My computer, Right Click on each and every Drive (as i assume u would share every thing), Go to Share and Security

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/0755883.JPG

Now Check on the options, Share this folder on the Network and the option bellow it, Allow Network Users to change my files

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/156/15/08.JPG

Click apply... Now reboot and after that make sure that ur IP address settings are right or as mentioned here....

Now u should be able to access the drives of network by this format in windows explorer address bar, type

\\Computer name\driver latter

Ex.

\\c1\c\Saurav\

u may b asked by windows to enter Admin user name and password to access the drivers for the 1st time u do it :)

Thank you...

47shailesh

Security Exp
^why to reboot..n/w wil work even without repoobting..

Just try to ping the remote m/c and success will ensure connectivity...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@47shailesh

Personall I saw some time this process doesnt work unless u restart certain services (if in case previous network settinsg were present) , now, i felt its best for a new comer to go for a ReBoot !!! rather troubleshooting if any systems fail to detect each other !!!!

but yes, thearitically it should work without the Reboot, but with Microsoft software, many time one would have to think out of the box :lol:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Choto Cheeta said:
@47shailesh

Personall I saw some time this process doesnt work unless u restart certain services (if in case previous network settinsg were present) , now, i felt its best for a new comer to go for a ReBoot !!! rather troubleshooting if any systems fail to detect each other !!!!

but yes, thearitically it should work without the Reboot, but with Microsoft software, many time one would have to think out of the box :lol:

is hub also required to connect or network two computers... i have lan cards on both of my system, can i connect them using a cable directly without buying hub or switch?????????? i had tried this but it didnt work for me :( :confused:

praka123

left this forum longback
^ it worked for me in Linux using cable connected to LAN port of both computer.so its possible.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Choto Cheeta said:
@vish786

No HUB/Switch needed for 2 PC, Direct connection will work fine....

:)

Please follow the process described here :)
i did the exact procedure.... but didnt work, above procedure works only if i use HUB otherwise with direct cable connection it does not work :(... i am using my modem ethernet cable which has 8 wires look at the pic... is that the wire your using ??? and i have a pretty long cable... is that a problem??

*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t744000_cable1.jpg

praka123 said:
^ it worked for me in Linux using cable connected to LAN port of both computer.so its possible.
and how did u configure dude... can u give ur procedure also i will try on linux also:confused:

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Choto Cheeta said:
are u sure u have Crossed Cable ????
look at the pic i have posted, i have only that cable... dont know what is crossed cable... can u post a pic of crossed cable... how i have posted after searching from net:), it would make things easier.

Ishan

In the zone
i have done everything as u said...but my lappy and PC are not able to detect each other.
yes I have Win Xp SP2 in Lappy but not in Desktop.

i did many restarts in both the PC and Lappy but in vain.

and when i ping then from lappy it shows "Unreachable Host"
and in Desktop it shows "Requested timed out"
and when i insert the cable it isnt autodetecting..

what shall i do now?

OP
Ron

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Buddy
First of all....thnxs.............and hey......

1. a messages keeps on appearing on both my Pc and laptop.....in the taskbar.........."A network cable is unlugged".......after pluging the Cable in Both the.....system............also.......why??

2.After launching the Network Setup Wizard.............
I goot the following message............

*img510.imageshack.us/img510/2677/untitledcopyhq0.jpg

Should I Ignore it?

3. when I typed the command "\\c1\c"............in address bar.....I got the mesage......"make sure the path or internet adress is correct".............

4. Anh hey how can i check whether the cable is correctly plugged to both the system..........and Lan is working..................

LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET'S COMPONENT OF LAPTOP IS

Local Area Connection
Intel(R)PRO/100 VE NETWORKS CONNECTION

1394 cONNECTION
1394 NET ADAPTER

WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION
INTEL(R) WIRELESS 3945ABG NETWORK CONNECTION

LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET'S COMPONENT OF MY PC IS

LOCAL AREA CONNECTION
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Thnks in advance
ron

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@CHOTA CHEETA

dude i dont think it is possible to connect using direct cable... i had tried all technique 2 months back wasted whole day... but i didnt succeed.

2 PCs can b connected only if u have hub. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
praka123 said:
Yes the same cable RJ45? is used.sharing datas in Linux includes setting IP addresses for each PC,then makes a mounted share using NFS(The Network File System (NFS) was developed to allow machines to mount a disk partition on a remote machine as if it were a local disk. It allows for fast, seamless sharing of files across a network. ) or even a ftpserver(vsftpd?).etc etc(i learned while preparing for RHCE too bad forgot many things :( ).these are not so simple things to do.I'll say you just follow some good howtos for Linux.and for this case fedora will be nicer as it contains many GUI tools for networking.For Debian distros may be u shud use terminal;is it OK?

NFS Howto:
*nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s02.html#whatis_nfs
Linux Networking Guide(too nice ):
*www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
RJ45 cable notes:
*www.sorgonet.com/network/wiring-rj-45-network/

vish786

"The Gentleman"
ok finally got the point i have a straight cable not a crossed cable

@praka123 thanks for reply :)

@RON AND @ ISHAN

guys u both have straight cable that is y its not connecting... get your cable crossed at one end and then try, it will work.

if u want to know more about crossed cable here is the link
*www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

*www.ossmann.com/5-in-1.html

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Ron said:
1. a messages keeps on appearing on both my Pc and laptop.....in the taskbar.........."A network cable is unlugged".......after pluging the Cable in Both the.....system............also.......why??

Answer given, may b u dont have Crossed cable... !!!

3. when I typed the command "\\c1\c"............in address bar.....I got the mesage......"make sure the path or internet adress is correct".............

4. Anh hey how can i check whether the cable is correctly plugged to both the system..........and Lan is working..................

and after u get the connection going, then try my Post again !!!

and to check whether u have a right connection or not, after u enter the IP address in Both system, try this, Start >> RUN >> CMD !! in the command pront, Type, ping the_system_IP -t Ex. ping 192.168.0.1 -t from ur Lappy, :) if u get response then u are connected :)

47shailesh

Security Exp
How to make cables:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50420

^^Cheeta one correction if he does'nt have Cross cable than message "network cable is unlugged" never pops regularly...

Also @ron as r both the system in same Workgroup?

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^Cheeta one correction if he does'nt have Cross cable than message "network cable is unlugged" never pops regularly...

umm.. I thoght some thing else... i saw that no matter what cable u insert if u have the Network Adapter's Speed/Duplex Settings to Auto, as to start with it shows Accouring Network Address and then give error network cable is unlugged !!!!

:) that's why i said to check whether its a Cross Cable or not !!!

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/157/14/A1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Ron

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
thnks buddy...........
And hey

\\Computer name\driver latter

Ex.

\\c1\c\Saurav\

wht does Saurav Refers to?..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom