.NET vs Java... What side are you On?

.NET vs Java... What side are you On?

• Total voters

dead.night7

Journeyman
I have successfully learnt a lot from both of the worlds, in the last one year. Now doubt raises on what side a person should be...

Java - The heated cup

1) J2SE Being the core I thought that this would be awesome to learn, much better than C++/C Cool concept of JVM(Java Virtual Machine)
2) JSP Servlets the level two of Java and the answer to all the web CGI Scripts today,
3) EJB the sellers choice
4) J2EE the world today, with frameworks aka Spring, Struts, Hibernate,
More MVC and ORM tools (Still not gone through but will sooner or later one day) one has to learn a lot before in order to go through and understand these
5) The JSF Now....

pros : Cross platform, Opensource, Free IDE's all around making good start.
cons: If you go further (to learn any Framework) you have to learn a lot earlier

The wave of Microsoft .NET

Now this actually turns out to be the same, having technologies, concepts being nearly the same
1) The programming Fundamentals: It seriously depends on what have you started using with
VB(Visual Basic.NET) being the most awkward syntactically but easy to learn,
C#.NET syntactically same like Java, But under Windows
CLR (Common Language Runtime) Concept same as the JVM, But I dont find the applications running on any different OS other than Windows itself. Partly hyped in our textbooks about Cross Platform isn't it?

2) ASP.NET the .net's answer to the Web in terms of the the Web applications
But still, Linux having a history in being secure, ..Would you go for Windows?

3) WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation)

pros: Easy to learn enough if you have learnt some OOP earlier, please list few if you have some.
cons: Limited to windows, Micro$oft (if you know what i mean to say).. IDE's Costs, Free version available but with lesser bells...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On what grounds would you like to go with any of the worlds,

lastly what preference would you like to give... In other words If rated these sides what rating would you like to give them in 10, I dont want an argument/ debate here just a fine talk on what you think on either of these technologies...? Your ideas views...

If it is a programming preference, A language can be learnt in a span of a week if you have a background in any of the Object Oriented Programming...

If its a preference of speed: Then I would like to add that speed in your application majorly depends on coding practices, If you make a mess in the design of your code, It is obvious that there will be a dramatic decrease in your app's speed...and pointing that decrease to any of the company is not fair enough on a programmers end.

Good thoughts / views Welcome.. :)

Last edited:

iamharish15

Broken In
Well, I have not learned .Net , so I prefer only Java till now. Java has been great and yes Java is the ocean of programming, the more you learn the more is still to be learnt! always... :D
Still I am trying to learn more and more of Java!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ It depends. I worked with both Java and .NET, and for last 3 years, i am only working with J2EE (Spring).

To me, Java is far better, but the major issue is, learning curve, with new frameworks flooding the market, every year, it is hard to choose between but if you choose, you will withstand.

On the other hand, .NET, pretty easy to learn, and not much difference between versions. So learning curve is very small.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I personally love .NET over Java. Actually I hate Java, nothing specific reason, but the reason is little bit odd, we need to write lots of code in Java for even a simpler program like Hello World, which I hate most.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I personally love .NET over Java. Actually I hate Java, nothing specific reason, but the reason is little bit odd, we need to write lots of code in Java for even a simpler program like Hello World, which I hate most.

lol, the reason i hate .NET is the reason you love .NET. :D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
there are plenty of "Jobs" in both "Languages".. if you are a independent developer then its your choice.. if you get selected in campus interview.. then your company will tell you what you need to "work on" ..

I am a .NET developer but I also had to work on various different languages (only a little sometimes) on job.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW one would be actively programming only for 5-7 years in his career. once a person becomes a team lead his would hardly code.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I dunno if I took wrong decision by ditching Java :| Most of the freshers jobs uptil now which I've seen, are demanding for Java devs, at least 80%. .Net is no where. :(

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
LOL..!! Because here in Kolkata Java Dev.'s are sitting offline. As there's no requirement of Java Dev.'s that much. All the requirements are in other cities. Also the fewer requirements which exists for Java, are not for freshers. They are requiring highly experienced Dev.'s.

So I have seen many friends / juniors who took Java as their path is still thinking why they didn't took .NET.

.NET and PHP have high requirements here.

Neo

+1 for Java. Why? Because its AWESOME. Interest never dies .. and all the reasons in the OP.
:beer:

Jitendra Singh

Broken In
As I have heard that Java runs on any Operating System (i.e. platform independent) while .net runs on Microsoft Operating System (windows) only. Java seems to be much better.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^Yes. Which you'll get anyway with the JRE. So JRE is there for almost all platforms.

Also JVM has been ported for many platforms. Generally Java runs on your TV, Fridge etc. almost everything.

OP
dead.night7

dead.night7

Journeyman
Thanks a ton guys, for having your views shared for this topic,
I always debated for this topic with my friends and so thought of making this article about a time ago, almost an evening for choosing what to go for in a carrier ,
I had thought there is no person out in this forum at that time for giving out responses like I have been got right now,
thanks guys for sharing your thoughts,
----------------------------------------------
As for me, I love JAVA since I had started using Java for my core programming logic first, but
.NET made my skills for event driven language even robust, which helped me in learning jQuery
Moving on my thoughts on Java there are many ways to solve the problems in java what i have seen so far,
Take the example:
you make a web application in JSP Servlet technology Intermingling the logic of PHP-Like Programming...
just a week after two I find that there is an another way to do the same thing
"without" using Scripts aka JSTL (Java Standard Tag Library along with Action Tags and EL Expression Language)
After then hearing this i also hear for Apache Struts, Spring Framework (Want to seriously learn this during vacations)
(Wanna tell: Did not dad a teacher at that time to guide me et all... :( Did myself by researching these)
+
My Moral; for being with Java So far:
Java isn't tough after all, If you understand what is going on with the flow of logic,
But in order to go along with programming using MVC Frameworks in JAVA one has to learn quite a lot of things and there are many prerequisites to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Then i find after three months, by using ASP.NET in just one practical session, I did my program much faster then what i had done before (Template being made earlier in HTML5/CSS3), Still I dont have skills in ASP (with VB.NET) very sharp,

.NET makes life much easier, But with JAVA I can rely that every tom dick and harry can run my App in any circumstances/ platforms of PCs, given installed JRE :)

^^ It depends. I worked with both Java and .NET, and for last 3 years, i am only working with J2EE (Spring).

To me, Java is far better, but the major issue is, learning curve, with new frameworks flooding the market, every year, it is hard to choose between but if you choose, you will withstand.

On the other hand, .NET, pretty easy to learn, and not much difference between versions. So learning curve is very small.

+1 For this

AFAIK Java need JVM engine to run..correct me if I m wrong

just like you need a .NET Framework for running Microsoft Products
namely any Microsoft Supported Software, You need the core Libraries for any program that uses it to run. Same stands for JAVA.
-------------------------------

The thing that hurts me that JAVA "is" cross platform that they make their JVM run on every platform OS, what I've seen so far I have run my apps on Linux's Mint, Ubuntu,Windows 7...

But .NET "has" a CLR (Common Language Runtime), just like we JVM in java which claims to be Cross Platform (as of written in our textbooks) But CLR is not, Ive not seen .NET apps running on any different machines other than windows itself, .NET Seriously is not for every platform? Why is that so...? Do anyone has an answer for this?

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
just like you need a .NET Framework for running Microsoft Products
namely any Microsoft Supported Software, You need the core Libraries for any program that uses it to run. Same stands for JAVA.
I know that..that's y applications (windows) developed using .NET framework asks user to install .NET framework first.

The thing that hurts me that JAVA "is" cross platform that they make their JVM run on every platform OS, what I've seen so far I have run my apps on Linux's Mint, Ubuntu,Windows 7...
But .NET "has" a CLR (Common Language Runtime), just like we JVM in java which claims to be Cross Platform (as of written in our textbooks) But CLR is not, Ive not seen .NET apps running on any different machines other than windows itself, .NET Seriously is not for every platform? Why is that so...? Do anyone has an answer for this?
that is one of the difference points u will see in .NET vs JAVA comparison

and as far as .NET applications running on Linux OS...there is Monoproject platform available :-D

Top Bottom