Net Send command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supriya

Right off the assembly line
I can not send message across in a local area network inWindows XP(SP2) operating system. I also started manually started the messenger service.But still I did not succeed. Also in non-SP2 windows xp oprerating system, it does not give any problem. Please help.

manmay

Journeyman
jus check in administrative tools>services whether the services are kept on automatic mode....

messenger.
(cause this command is actually recognised by this service)

server
telnet
terminal services.
computer browser.
(for browsing in the shared folders of another comp in the lan)

jus see if this works or not....
alternatively u can also use some lan messeging sftware....which is much better and efficient and also keeps records of the previous messeges.
i dont remem the name of the software .
jus try googling it or search on download.com

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
should be the firewall ...
disable XP's firewall ... net send dont go with firewall ON

@manmay ...
telnet need not be switched on for sharing, etc

and as he's said .. there are other softwares too .. you try them ..
the best I know is .. LAN Talk XP

-----
alibi

manmay

Journeyman
r u sure its becoz of the firewall....i dont think the fire wall blocks the netsend messgs

and thanks 4 the correction

ghemant

Broken In
Net Send

Hi,

FIRE WALL dont do nething with NET SEND
you need to check for MESSENGER service if it works or not .

:)
Regards

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Firewall can make the computer invisible in the network.
It surely can block net send messages. I'm sure of that.

-----
alibi

ghemant

Broken In
net send

alib_i said:
Firewall can make the computer invisible in the network.
It surely can block net send messages. I'm sure of that.

-----
alibi

Nope , even if netbios is disabled you can send and receive messages i am very sure , we have enterprise wide netwrok setup but firewall doesn't hurt *net send * .

Regards

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ Check out *support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904 where it is suggested to use firewall to block net send messages from internet...

However, that said, I doubt if the firewall would be the problem as by default, I would guess that the firewall would allow LAN net send commands (since I use 3rd party firewall instead of WinXP Firewall, I am not sure)...

My guess is that the Alerter and/or the Messenger services might have been disabled... Possibly while using some software to maintain/improve the computer performance/security...

BTW, where is the response from the poster? Its almost a week and there has been no confirmation if any of the above worked...

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom