Net on Linux !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

talrejaharish

Journeyman
Hey

me very excited for LINUX on ma comp ...

got
KNOPPIX LIVE CD

It booted properly ... me happy with it over all

just one FAULT

cant connect to the net

it says ... Network not reachable ...

i se windows XP ..
Hathway Cable Net

wat to do ??
cant ping my IP or Gateway ...

both unreachable ...

n theyre workin now on WINDOWS

plz help ... all you LINUX users ... one more wannabe LINUX user calling

tuxfan

Technomancer
You need to set up your lan card and give it the correct IP address. However, my knowledge on CableNet is v. limited and so I may be wrong.

But because you are using Knoppix directly off the CD, you need to do this correctly everytime you boot. If you install it on your hard disk, you need to do this only once. :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
hey harish.. u use windows too right?

ok do this thing..

right click on ur local area connection in network connections

click on properties... now click on "internet protocol(tcp/ip) here u will get ur ip address/gateway and dns(the gateway and dns servers are same for hathway) and ur subnet mask

now go to knoppix.. and here click on the net connection wizard...

it will ask for "broadcast using DHCP".. select no..

then enter ur ip adress and other stuff!

and voila! u r connected!

then just wanted to inquire which client u use for connction to hathway eg- cyberoam... coz IF u use a client to connect.. u wud need the linux verson of these clients too

for eg if u use cyberoam
do this:

extract the 'crclient' client from the .tar.gz archive and place it in /root folder... or if u r using a live cd.. put it in ur windows drive in linux ur c:'s path will be /disks/hda1

suppose u put this file here /disks/hda1/crclient

now in console enter "cd /disks/hda1/"

then "./crclient -s"

then it will ask for ur server address

now enter "./crclient -u"
it will ask for ur user/pass and voila u r on da net!

ujjwal

Padawan
BTW, I have a similar question, I have a sify cable net connection, and a DAVICOM Lan card. The card comes with driver, but i it required for the card to function? Or can I just configure IP address and DNS settings etc.

OP
T

talrejaharish

Journeyman
Thanks

Hey

ANDY

my net started on LINUX :D
ur first thing was enough ... i use the given MOZILLA and Konqueror to browse the net ... VOILA :p ... must say LINUX rulz and DIGIT too... :lol:

coz without DIGIT i wud hav never got this solution !!!

as my engineer is an ANTI - TESTER kinda person ... he doesnt try new stuff ... still using WIN 98 SE !! :shock:

doesnt allow me to use nethin better :twisted:

and any problems ... asks me to format ma C Drive :roll:

thnx others also who tried to answer ...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
ujjwal said:
The card comes with driver, but i it required for the card to function? Or can I just configure IP address and DNS settings etc.

Hello Ujjwal bhai, Special drivers are required for special functions of special cards... generic drivers can also run your generic card.... and all special cards can work in generic mode... just do a # netcardconfig

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Re: Thanks

talrejaharish said:
VOILA :p ... must say LINUX rulz and DIGIT too... :lol:
Give some credit to GNU project also... 95% of program in your GNU/Linux system is a derivative of the GNU Project... Linux is just a kernel and makes up that 5% ...

talrejaharish said:
as my engineer is an ANTI - TESTER kinda person ... he doesnt try new stuff ... still using WIN 98 SE !! :shock:
You know what ? we call these kind of admins as Next > Next > Next > Finish kind of administrators... because half of the time they do Next > Next > Finish...

tuxfan

Technomancer
GNUrag said:
You know what ? we call these kind of admins as Next > Next > Next > Finish kind of administrators... because half of the time they do Next > Next > Finish...
:lol: :lol: Very funny. :D

BTW, here in this thread I second you on the credit that GNU deserves. Hats off to FSF and Richard Stallman.

BTW, I just had a look at Gnoppix 0.8 and man!! It looks really good!! It rocks!! :D

OP
T

talrejaharish

Journeyman
rite

Hey ... all of ull r correct ... specially

GNUrag wrote:

but cant help it na ... have to keep one engineer for those ODD hours ...

and also ... yea GNU project gets full credit ...
dint know LINUX and GNU project was different or sumthin ...

anyways ... think gotto read up on LINUX ...

hey BTW ... i wanna know how is SUSE 9.1 .... any users ????

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Re: rite

talrejaharish said:
and also ... yea GNU project gets full credit ...
dint know LINUX and GNU project was different or sumthin ...
anyways ... think gotto read up on LINUX ...
You might want to read that book of Essays by Richard Stallman (GNU project founder) on Free Software and GNU Project... tuxfan has taken a xerox copy of it from me... you're in GNUmbai too, maybe you might be interested in reading it... will bring it on next LUG meet at IIT if you want it!

firewall

In the zone
I am recommending the following book : :)

Free as in Freedom: Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software, by Sam Williams

d/l the ebook: *gutenberg.net/dirs/etext04/freed10.txt

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom