Need urgent help...screwed up my desktop :-)

SameerInd

Right off the assembly line
I used the AIOMI partition tool to increase the size of my system's C drive from D drive.

It said it will restart into Windows PE and make the changes.

The system restarted and since then going into advanced repair screen or BSOD with "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE"

Any way to salvage the system installation now or requires a clean install now?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
First take back up of files and folders, use live ubuntu or something to boot and access the drive.

OP
S

SameerInd

Right off the assembly line
Usb pen drive yes.. No pc.

If something to be downloaded and transferred to usb pen drive can do that using my phone. Have the usb adapter for phone

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know if there is a way you can make bootable usb using android. Google and see if there is any option, if not get help from someone (friend/relatives) who has pc/laptop nearby your place.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Usb pen drive yes.. No pc.

If something to be downloaded and transferred to usb pen drive can do that using my phone. Have the usb adapter for phone

Download windows/Linux iso of your choice, use some iso opener from playstore and copy the contents to usb. It shud boot wit windows and ubuntu as it did in my case.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do'
Download windows/Linux iso of your choice, use some iso opener from playstore and copy the contents to usb. It shud boot wit windows and ubuntu as it did in my case.

Don't you need to make the usb drive bootable first ?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Do'

Don't you need to make the usb drive bootable first ?

Nope, at least not in my case, I had to just copy and paste the contents. I have a UEFI bios. And not legacy one. Modern BIOS recognises boot.efi without the need to format it to boot. ESP or *.efi files are now recognised by UEFI BIOS. So no need to make usb bootable.

Edit:- got a good source here

In UEFI things are a lot easier. It knows about FAT file systems (and even more file systems on non-standard implementations), therefore boot files are stored in the EFI system partition, A.K.A ESP. The UEFI loads the *.efi applications in the ESP which will then load the operating systems.

UEFI firmware supports booting from removable storage devices such as USB flash drives. For that purpose, a removable device needs to be formatted with a FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system, while a boot loader needs to be stored according to the standard ESP file hierarchy, or by providing a complete path of a boot loader to the system's boot manager.

So basically you just need to copy the *.efi file(s) to the ESP and put system files in the correct folder. However, there's still a small problem because the FAT partition containing the *.efi file must be marked as ESP in the MBR or GPT table outside the partitions, which can't be done by copying like above. In particular the partition type must be changed from 0Ch/0Bh/whatever to EFh in MBR and to C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B in GPT, since the ESP is not actually FAT12/16/32 but an independent file system based on the FAT file system family

Last edited:
Top Bottom