Need UPS for PC with Ryzen5 3600 and 1050Ti

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
where are you from?Are you worried that the package you might get from amazon/flipkart etc might be contaminated with covid virus?
no. @Nerevarine posted that there is a chance I might get older model which might have slightly depleted battery. I will go to offline shops for this UPS. Going out now is not safe.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Here's what I did, i got a hold of every offline retailer's phone number. I called them up, asked for exact model and price and if they home deliver. They said they will charge 100 Rupees extra for home delivery. Voila ! 5 PM and it gets delivered.
Total price is about 500 Rupees more than amazon but its a brand new manufactured model. (confirm this with them)
Wow. I will try this. thanks man!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont buy online, get locally. I made this mistake twice, once with amazon and later with flipkart. They can send old stocks which have depleted battery.
Extended warranty IMO doesnt make sense in a UPS. You can replace the battery with an aftermarket battery from any company and it will run fine. UPS circuitry rarely fail but still possible to repair.
Extended warranty IMO only makes sense where repair is impossible, i.e. GPUs
Yeah that's a common mistake many people make while buying batteries/ups online. Even for those aa/aaa rechargeable batteries I don't recommend buying them online because I have seen comments saying people got 1-2 years old stock in some recent sale.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hey guys, I have found a local shop to buy the UPS on one of the weekend I go out. Just one small doubt, model ups-be700y will be able to handle 750W PSU? I don't have components which can draw full power from PSU but are there any time when PSU pulls full power from wall socket, like start-up time or when connected to UPS and to swtich from main power to UPS power in case of power cuts. Talking about the following model.
*www.flipkart.com/apc-back-ups-be70...=output_power_wattage&st=output_power_wattage

quicky008

Technomancer
i am using a 750 w corsair tmx psu with the 700y and so far i haven't run into any issues with my setup.However if under any situation the psu draws the full power ie 750W then it will cause the ups to trip and restart as its not capable of supplying that much power.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
For max safety get a 1100 one
I am checking if 1100 has this AVR features which is important as suggested by quicky in previous post of this thread

i am using a 750 w corsair tmx psu with the 700y and so far i haven't run into any issues with my setup.However if under any situation the psu draws the full power ie 750W then it will cause the ups to trip and restart as its not capable of supplying that much power.
I don't want the UPS to trip. Do you know any other APC UPS which has AVR feature and bigger?

moltenskull

Journeyman
Hi, I recently bought an APC BR1500G-IN from Flipkart. As advertised on the box, it has AVR Function and an 865W backup. Using it with a 850W Corsair TX850M (which I bought some time ago and switched over from my previous PC),a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1660Ti.
As of now, while my PC is idling (Power draw:78-155W), it is showing that it will be providing 49-51 minutes of backup. I have also had quite frequent power outages and the UPS does not trip.
However, the price is 18k approx on Flipkart. I had no issues with the unit I bought (packaging and usage wise). I asked in offline shops as well and the minimum price I was able to get was 15.5k but availability was a problem. Hence, I ordered from Flipkart. One thing to note is Flipkart has oddly listed the model's series as Back UPS when it is actually a Back UPS Pro series (please keep this in mind while registering the product.)

Please check if it suits your needs and budget.

Links:

*www.apc.com/shop/in/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-1500-230V-India/P-BR1500G-IN

I checked this review :

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi, I recently bought an APC BR1500G-IN from Flipkart. As advertised on the box, it has AVR Function and an 865W backup. Using it with a 850W Corsair TX850M (which I bought some time ago and switched over from my previous PC),a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1660Ti.
As of now, while my PC is idling (Power draw:78-155W), it is showing that it will be providing 49-51 minutes of backup. I have also had quite frequent power outages and the UPS does not trip.
However, the price is 18k approx on Flipkart. I had no issues with the unit I bought (packaging and usage wise). I asked in offline shops as well and the minimum price I was able to get was 15.5k but availability was a problem. Hence, I ordered from Flipkart. One thing to note is Flipkart has oddly listed the model's series as Back UPS when it is actually a Back UPS Pro series (please keep this in mind while registering the product.)

Please check if it suits your needs and budget.

Links:

*www.apc.com/shop/in/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-1500-230V-India/P-BR1500G-IN

I checked this review :

Hi! Thanks alot for sharing the info and video, very informative!
But its very costly. My original estimate was 8K but this is almost double that price.
Can I connect 2 systems to this UPS at the same time??
How loud is the fan inside the UPS and does it go wild only during startup or all the time?

quicky008

Technomancer
here's the 1000 VA variant of this ups-all features are the same as the 1500va model,only the VA rating is lower :

1000G-IN

FYI i have 3 systems connected to my 700 VA ups via power strips.I dont use more than 2 systems simultaneously at the same time under low/moderate load conditions and so far i haven't experienced any tripping/overloading issues.

But if you are gaming on one system then it would be prudent to only keep that particular system on for the time being-otherwise if multiple pcs are on their combined power draw might exceed the UPS's rated load,thereby causing it to trip.

However if you are running 2 pcs simultaenously while doing non-cpu intensive tasks then this will most likely not happen.You can monitor the power draw of the pcs using power chute plus software that's available with the 700Va model.

Last edited:
OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
here's the 1000 VA variant of this ups-all features are the same as the 1500va model,only the VA rating is lower :

1000G-IN
you mean this one has the option to save components from sudden spike or low voltages, basically power fluctuations? BTW, how to check if any UPS has this feature or not, what is the technical term for this feature?

quicky008

Technomancer
afaik this model does have a built in AVR.But the weird thing about it is that its upper threshold for the AVR functionality to kick in is 255V,which means the UPS will not step down the voltage as long as it doesn't exceed 255 V. I remember perusing a thread on this issue on the APC forums some time ago-i tried looking for it now but couldn't find it.

Most electronics eg PCs etc can usually operate properly within 200-240V.The moment the input voltage exceeds 240 v,things start getting a bit on the hairy side,but most devices can still tolerate upto 250V.However when the input voltage exceeds 250V,this might cause some degree of damage to devices that are particularly sensitive to higher voltages.

I dont know why the apc engineers have configured the higher threshold of the 1000g and 1500g-in models to 255V,they should have set it to somewhere around the 240v-250V range for the sake of safety.

FYI the upper threshold on the be 700 y in is 250V(as per its instruction manual)-but i have checked using a multimeter that it tends to step the voltage down when it hovers around 246-247V.

The proper way to determine whether an APC UPS has the avr functionality or not is to go through its user manual-models which incorporate this feature usually have something called "voltage Sensitivity adjustment" that must be configured before you can actually start using the ups-for computers apc recommends setting it to "high".

If for a particular model you find no mention of the sensitivity adjustment feature,then it may not have a proper AVR functionality.

the manuals for the APC upses can be found at their official website.

Last edited:

moltenskull

Journeyman
Hi! Thanks alot for sharing the info and video, very informative!
But its very costly. My original estimate was 8K but this is almost double that price.
Can I connect 2 systems to this UPS at the same time??
How loud is the fan inside the UPS and does it go wild only during startup or all the time?
Quicky008 has answered almost all your questions in a very comprehensive manner. Regarding the fan noise, it is quite loud and may be irritable and stays on for a short duration after the UPS is powered on after shutting it down during a power outage. (The UPS is an always-on model). Most of the time , at least in my case, the fan is off but I read some cases online where the fan stays on for long periods of time even after battery is fully charged.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
My PC is in my bedroom so loud fan noise will be quite irritating in middle of the nights. Man this is so difficult! There is no perfect product. Everything has some or other issue.

moltenskull

Journeyman
There's an answer to that too.

But please do keep in mind, this will/may void warranty.

Also, once main power is gone, you will have to shut the UPS down and that will obviously switch off the fan. Now, once the mains are back on, the fan will run for the duration of charging the battery/the whole unit cools down and then it will automatically turn off again.

The fan noise is not very noticeable in case you have a ceiling fan, but in ac rooms it is quite apparent. It is partially a good thing, since you can turn off the inbuilt alarm and switch off the UPS in case of a power failure.

Long story short, you will soon become used to the fan noise in the short duration it runs for.

[Posting this from my PC running on the UPS just as a power failure occurred in my area.]

adikumar2010

Journeyman
My PC is in my bedroom so loud fan noise will be quite irritating in middle of the nights. Man this is so difficult! There is no perfect product. Everything has some or other issue.
wait sloth... just get APC BR1000G-IN UPS, I got for 8k in flipkart sale 3 months back. If you look around still it should be under 9K on small websites.

My last APC model Back-UPS BR1000-IN (This is just old version of the current model) is still working from 13 years which I gave to my brother, just need to buy battery every 3 years which is same for every brand.

I get exact 1 hour backup at 120 watts load in both my APC UPS.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^This is good. Thanks again for your detailed responses @quicky008 , @moltenskull and @adikumar2010 . I will look around in local shops and see if I can find a good price on anyone of these two models. I plan on getting BR1500 model since I do plan to add another PC later next year if possible. This will save me space since I don't need to buy another UPS for 2nd PC.

Top Bottom