Need UPS for PC with Ryzen5 3600 and 1050Ti

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hey guys!

I am in urgent need to UPS since I am facing power cuts and very frequent power fluctuations issue. So I want a UPS to protect the PC from these fluctuations and power cuts.
Budget : Around 7-8K but cheaper the better without compromising too much on the quality.
Usage :
PC with below mentioned components. PC will be used only for urgent works with UPS and a safe shutdown, no gaming will be involved.
2 low powered laptops (at least 1 laptop should be connected to UPS)
1 Monitor

I am currently plugging a Belkin surge protector on the wall and then power my PC, laptops, monitor, 2.0 speakers, modem/router.
Query is :
1. Can i plug UPS in this surge protector and then connect only PC, monitor and at least one laptop connected to UPS. Because I need to connect PC speakers to surge protector, not to the UPS.
2. The power might go when I am in middle of gaming session, UPS should be able to handle the load. In future I plan to upgrade GPU, a 1000W UPS will be able to handle the load or I need to go higher?

Note:
1. There is only 1 wall outlet. all the above components mentioned above are connected via surge protector to a single wall outlet which is not even big socket, the small one.

Component List :
Ryzen 5 3600 processor
ASRock B450 Steel Legend motherboard
ADATA XPG D60G 8GBx2 RAM
MSI 1050Ti 4GB GPU
Antec 750W HCG Gold Modular PSU(Is it Tier 4 or Tier 1 in LTT Tier list??)
Crucial MX 1TB SATA SSD
Corsair 4000D with 4 fans

Shortlised : APC-BX1100C-1100VA-230V
*www.amazon.in/APC-BX1100C-1100VA-2...computers&sprefix=apc+11,computers,295&sr=1-3

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

khalil1210

In the zone
Hi, 6 months back I had a similar query,

Did not make the purchase as I forgot about it :ashamed:, but I think the following discussion will be useful for you.

*geek.digit.in/community/threads/suggest-ups-for-my-pc-with-cx-550-psu.209150/#post-2395217

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi, 6 months back I had a similar query,

Did not make the purchase as I forgot about it :ashamed:, but I think the following discussion will be useful for you.

*geek.digit.in/community/threads/suggest-ups-for-my-pc-with-cx-550-psu.209150/#post-2395217
I was searching for this ! I missed it even though it was on first page :ashamed:
Thanks alot!

*www.flipkart.com/apc-back-ups-be70...PSE9HC2PVGZBCDM&lid=LSTUPSE9HC2PVGZBCDMOSE0WL
Is this good?

And please suggest how do I use it, provided there is only one wall socket and multiple electronics to connect via surge protector.

khalil1210

In the zone
That one seems good, I think the devices you plus the ups wire in wall socket

Battery Backup plus
Surge Protection
Outlets​
These outlets provide battery backup power to connected equipment for a limited period of time during power outages and voltage fluctuations. The Battery Backup outlets provide battery power to connected equipment only when the Back-UPS is turned on. Connect critical equipment such as desktop computer, computer monitor, modem or other data sensitive devices to these outlets. Do not connect aquarium equipment, laser printers, paper shredders, sump pumps, or fans to these outlets as the modified sine wave output of the Back-UPS may cause these devices to experience a decrease in performance. Note: Connect equipment to these outlets using a standard molded 6 A plug.​
Surge Protection
Outlet​
This outlet helps to provides full time protection for connected equipment from power surges or spikes, when the Back-UPS is turned on or off. The Surge Protection outlet does not supply battery backup power to connected equipment. Connect a printer, scanner or other devices that do not require battery backup protection. Note: Connect equipment to this outlet using a standard molded 6 A plug​

all the three in battery backup

Plug CPU wire in battery backup
Monitor in battery backup
1 Laptop in battery backup

I have a found a different product on amazon - Amazon.in

*www.apc.com/shop/in/en/products/APC-Easy-UPS-BVX-1200VA-230V-AVR-India-Sockets/P-BVX1200LI-IN

In the user manual it says all ports are battery backup and surge protection
Battery
backup and
surge
protection
outlets​
These outlets help provide power from the battery to the connected
equipment for a limited period of time during power outage, or
brownout condition and helps to protect the connected equipment
from power surges or spikes, when the Easy UPS is connected to
utility power and turned on. Connect equipment such as a computer,
monitor and other peripheral devices which need to remain on during
power outages or brownout condition, to these outlets​

Not sure if this is a better product than BE700Y but has more ports, but I think quicky008 and omega will have better suggestions on this. So wait for them to reply before making a purchase

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi guys!
Please help me in finalizing the UPS. I do not have any knowledge about this so I am struggling to select one.
Is above posted BVX 1200VA UPS is good/beneficial or I can stick to BE700Y model?
I am mainly looking to handle the fluctuations, backup of 30 mins is fine. I will not play games or do any heavy workl when UPS is powering the PC.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi guys!

I have decided to go for this model BVX1200

I have few doubts,
in the manual, in Rear Panel Features diagram,
1 is Battery Connector - what is it for? Do i have to buy battery separately for this UPS or I can use this to connect external batteries?
2 says battery backup and surge protection outlets - does all of the outlets are backed up by battery?

Then under operating temperature, it says 0C to 40C - My place normal temps goes to 45 in peak summers. And this unit does not come with a fan inside which can help the internals of UPS to maintain temps. Is it safe to buy this?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Hi guys!

I have decided to go for this model BVX1200

I have few doubts,
in the manual, in Rear Panel Features diagram,
1 is Battery Connector - what is it for? Do i have to buy battery separately for this UPS or I can use this to connect external batteries?
2 says battery backup and surge protection outlets - does all of the outlets are backed up by battery?

Then under operating temperature, it says 0C to 40C - My place normal temps goes to 45 in peak summers. And this unit does not come with a fan inside which can help the internals of UPS to maintain temps. Is it safe to buy this?
1. I think its meant to connect an external battery, you can daisy chain batteries probably. But confirm that with APC service, call their CC, they are very good at picking up calls.

2. In my APC UPS, the lower 2 ports arent connected to battery, but have surge protection circuitry. They are meant to be connected to things like router, modems which need to be on constantly without UPS being turned on, but still need some basic surge protection against lightning etc.
I think thats the same in your model.

quicky008

Technomancer
i am currently using the BE-700Y-Ind ups-bought it last year after my 11 years old apc Be 650Y-in started showing signs of malfunction.

Its a pretty good UPS,and more importantly it does have a built in AVR which can protect against voltage sags and swells,unlike some cheaper models(like apc's bx 600c-in) which falsely advertises having an AVR,when it actually doesn't have one.

The BVX 1200 appears to be an online ups,and therefore it most likely doesn't have built in batteries-so you might have to spend extra on getting them which will increase your overall cost quite a bit.

You can also go for BE-800y-ind which is slightly higher rated and has pretty similar features as the 700VA model,except pc connectivity which only the latter has .

I have used it with a pc with a 9th gen i5,1060 6gb and 750 W TXM psu and it could handle its load pretty well without issues,so i hope it will be adequate for you too.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@quicky008 and @whitestar_999 thank you for suggestions!

is the PC connectivity feature is just to send shutdown signal to PC or there is any other use also? Could not understand in PDF.
Also, BE-700Y model is now replaced by BE-700 as per APC website
*www.apc.com/shop/in/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-800VA-230V-INDIA/P-BE800-IND
New BE700-IND and BE800-IND are 700 and 800VA Back-UPS products that are replacing the BE700Y-IN. BE700 offers a 9Ah battery and PC shoutdown feature and BE800 offers a 12Ah battery and no communication
and thanks again for sharing config. that helps.

I am leaning towards 800VA if that PC connectivity feature isn't that important. I am also have similar config like quicky, but I plan to upgrade the GPU in future.
After doing Math of 800*60/100 = 480W, will this be enough for a PC with a GPU like 3060Ti? I will not buy anything bigger than this GPU. 480w looks quite close to limit, right?

quicky008

Technomancer
The pc connectivity feature,while not entirely something revolutionary is still pretty useful to have-it allows the user to configure the UPS using APC's powerchute plus software.

Among other things,it allows users to set the voltage sensitivity of the UPS(low,med,high),enable or disable the audible alerts(beeping) as some folks tend to find that annoying,monitor the voltage of the AC input power and so on.It can also be configured to shut down the pc during powercuts while its running on battery backup.

Some of these functions can also be configured manually ie without using APC's software such as setting the voltage sensitivity feature.But i think the beeping can only be disabled via software.

I dont use the pc connectivity option all that much-only once in a while if i need to check on something or to re-configure the ups.If higher rating is more important for you then go for the 800VA model.

However there's one thing that i should tell you which deterred me from buying the 800VA ups-this model in particular has a 12AH battery which is not readily available from 3rd party resellers,which means if the battery dies after 3-4 years then you will not be able to procure it easily from the local market,but be forced to rely on APC's service center to provide you with a replacement battery(and that tends to be costlier).However the 700 VA model uses the a 9AH battery which can be replaced with a 12v 7AH battery that are widely available everywhere (like the one shown here):

*www.amazon.in/Exide-Powersafe-Battery-Original-Replacement/dp/B00SA1HNZG

you cannot replace the 800Ind's battery with the above mentioned 12v 7ah battery as the battery used in it has a slightly different design and thus these 7ah batteries won't fit into its battery compartment.

Even my older 650va ups used a 9ah battery that i replaced twice during its lifetime with these 7ah batteries after the older ones conked out.

As for the 700Y-ind now being replaced with be-700,i was not aware of that.The former is still available on flipkart,you can get it there:

*www.flipkart.com/apc-back-ups-be80...=output_power_wattage&st=output_power_wattage

I had purchased mine from Flipkart itself as it was during the lockdown period last year and i couldn't visit any offline stores.

Even i plan on buying a 3060/3060ti if my finances permit when their prices come back down to normal levels,but i dont think its going to happen anytime soon.Hopefully this ups can still keep up with it as and when I go for that.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
This is good explanations. Thanks for your insights. 7Ah battery thing is quite crucial.
And Beeps are surely annoying and I would want to mute them.
After calculating the wattage on PSU Calculator, the minimum power needed with a 3060Ti is 392W and with a HDD its 412W. This is quite close to 420W delivery of UPS.
Looks like I need to compromise somewhere.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
On Amazon we get extended warranty by paying some extra amount
*www.amazon.in/APC-BE700Y-IND-420-w...d=1620639961&sprefix=apc+,aps,308&sr=8-9&th=1

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Dont buy online, get locally. I made this mistake twice, once with amazon and later with flipkart. They can send old stocks which have depleted battery.
Extended warranty IMO doesnt make sense in a UPS. You can replace the battery with an aftermarket battery from any company and it will run fine. UPS circuitry rarely fail but still possible to repair.
Extended warranty IMO only makes sense where repair is impossible, i.e. GPUs

quicky008

Technomancer
my ups came with a few scuff marks and scratches on it even though it was a new item-but i ignored all that and decided to keep it.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Currently the city is in lockdown but even after lockdown ends, I am hesitant to travel and search for UPS. I think I should postpone this until I get vaccinated.
Thanks guys for all your valuable suggestions!

quicky008

Technomancer
where are you from?Are you worried that the package you might get from amazon/flipkart etc might be contaminated with covid virus?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Currently the city is in lockdown but even after lockdown ends, I am hesitant to travel and search for UPS. I think I should postpone this until I get vaccinated.
Thanks guys for all your valuable suggestions!
Here's what I did, i got a hold of every offline retailer's phone number. I called them up, asked for exact model and price and if they home deliver. They said they will charge 100 Rupees extra for home delivery. Voila ! 5 PM and it gets delivered.
Total price is about 500 Rupees more than amazon but its a brand new manufactured model. (confirm this with them)

Top Bottom