Need to setup always on Wifi Connection using Netgear router

ajayritik

Technomancer
I was checking if it's possible to setup an always on wifi connection using my Netgear Router and existing Broadband connection.
Is there anyway I can do this? If I leave my PC off for long time I need to reenter the user name and password again to login to the internet. So for starters do I need to have router which saves the internet login credentials.
Also there are quite a few scheduled powercuts at my place however I will have power supply available even during power cut on one of the power points. Is it possible to hook up the router to this power point. But the problem would be I would need PC to login to the internet.

Any ideas/thoughts will be appreciated.

Hrishi

Does your ISP requires you to login to their Web Server with the provided login credentials or do you follow any other method ?
In case if it's a web based authentication , then I don't think there is a possibility of setting up a keepalive con.

Unless you set-up batch script that runs every time your windows starts and automatically logs you in to their website.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Does your ISP requires you to login to their Web Server with the provided login credentials or do you follow any other method ?
In case if it's a web based authentication , then I don't think there is a possibility of setting up a keepalive con.

Unless you set-up batch script that runs every time your windows starts and automatically logs you in to their website.
My ISP requires me to give user credentials. However this may vary if I need to do multiple times a day or only once a day.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
be more specific.if you need to open some login page in your browser every time to connect then most likely this is not possible.if you double-click on some shortcut & enter login/password then it may be possible.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
be more specific.if you need to open some login page in your browser every time to connect then most likely this is not possible.if you double-click on some shortcut & enter login/password then it may be possible.

I need to open a browser and give my user credentials to log in. Sometimes what happens is if I log in once and then later shutdown for few hours it doesn't ask me for user credentials. There is no shortcut for sure.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the only way then is to use mac cloning feature in your router to set router mac address to pc mac address & login once every 24 hours(assuming this is default inactivity logoff time limit) from pc after which you can shutdown pc.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
the only way then is to use mac cloning feature in your router to set router mac address to pc mac address & login once every 24 hours(assuming this is default inactivity logoff time limit) from pc after which you can shutdown pc.
How can I achieve this?

- - - Updated - - -

Request your ISP to disable Web login and provide internet direct over PPPoE ...

Pioneer Broadband is the ISP here in Hyderabad. I'm not sure if I can explain this to the customer service guys over there. Maybe need to get hold of some technical guy.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in your router lan setting look for mac cloning/spoofing feature.in there enter your pc(one used to login) mac address(run ipconfig /all in command prompt & see physical address of ethernet adapter local area connection).apply setting & restart router.it should now show your pc mac address in the mac cloning setting.now just login from your pc,connect some device to wifi & then shutdown pc.after that any connected device to router should still be able to access net.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
in your router lan setting look for mac cloning/spoofing feature.in there enter your pc(one used to login) mac address(run ipconfig /all in command prompt & see physical address of ethernet adapter local area connection).apply setting & restart router.it should now show your pc mac address in the mac cloning setting.now just login from your pc,connect some device to wifi & then shutdown pc.after that any connected device to router should still be able to access net.

Thanks for the advice. Will try this out. But in case this doesn't work can I revert the settings.

Top Bottom