Need to replace a router for home

bhappyharsha

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone,

I am currently on ACT fibrenet 50MBPS internet connectivity using a Netgear N150 wireless router. I see on that box that it supports upto 100 MBPS. I use my internet today for:
  • Work from home by me and my wife.
  • Streaming HD content for about 30 hours a week.
  • Connect 2 mobile phones, 2 laptops, 1 Fire TV Stick, 1 desktop which will soon be replaced with an office laptop.
The challenges I face with this is when my wife is working, I cannot use the TV. If I try to connect bluetooth headphones, it doesn't stream well. I think I will need a 5 GHz router according to the message I see on Fire TV. However, I have heard that 5 GHz won't give longer range. I need the internet to be accessible throughout my home which is about 1200 SFT. Also, I intend to upgrade my speed. Not that I can't make do with what I have but still like to upgrade.

I don't have a specific limit on budget but around 5K is what I am considering to spend. A bit here and there should be fine.

Can you please suggest what router I should buy and point where I can buy that from?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Sri Harsha.

mitraark

Decrepit
There's no point in getting a 5Ghz Router, unless youre using more than the 100 mbps bandwidth of your 2.4 Ghz Router. Your router might be having issues handling multiple devices although that should not be happening as per specs. Id suggest monitoring your internet connection over long periods to see if theres ping loss. Use some thing like EMCO Ping Monitor.

Still, you might try getting a better quality router for yourself. TP-Link Archer C6 is a wonderful router you cant go wrong with.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Disclaimer: I am not a network expert]

It is possible that your router is not able to multitask efficiently. With many devices connected simultaneously spectrum/air time is probably getting divided into too many small slices.

Getting a dual band router should help. The 5 GHz should be reserved for devices closer to router while the 2.4 GHz channel should be used by devices farther away.

You could you use the present router for 2.4 and new one for 5 GHz channels.

Top Bottom