Need to buy a phone next week (Galaxy S8)

sidster

Broken In
I would've filled out the questionnaire, but the basic question I have is whether the S8 is a good phone, or if I should wait for something better.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
S8 is good only for the screen. Bixby and all the other voice assistants are just marketing gimmicks. If you check rationally it is not a major improvement if we compare it with the S7/S7 edge. So, If I were you I would have got the S7(Don't like these super curved edge ones's, but all future phones will be curved :( ) BTW S7/S7 Edge are not available at discounted prices.

azvnoit

Journeyman
S8 comes with a spec upgrade, slight updates in software. If you are looking for the best specification then S8 is the best phone in Android platform. And it is also one of the best looking as well. Just note that in India it will come with Exynos processor and not Snapdragon which is slightly less powerful than SD 835.

The display quality is same as S7 but has higher resolution, always on display and it's features are same as S7. Camera hardware is same, there are some minor upgrades on the software though. Battery is a major upgrade in terms of security (rumors are Samsung will get LG to produces batteries for their phones.) The other common flaw, UI is much better compared to previous ones, it is trimmed even further and has minimalist look. You can try the new UI, Elegance UI which is similar to the new UI in S8. The Edges still lack actual use cases, it is more for looks than function. The edge has been upgraded to be more gradual so it feels better than S7, though the false touch issue still remains. Bixby is a good addition but is redundant, again there is not much features in it to make it significant. Future Bixby updates with more use cases and more integration making it better can be expected. For security, S8 has facial recognition which fails rarely but can also be bypassed. Other one is iris sensor which is great. Finally, the finger print sensor is at par, but the location of the sensor. These were some of my observations with the device.

Overall, it is the best android device, price no bar. Personally, I'm waiting for Pixel 2 or even Galaxy Note 8.

Edit : A device mix up between LG G6 and Galaxy S8.

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
I would've filled out the questionnaire, but the basic question I have is whether the S8 is a good phone, or if I should wait for something better.
LG G6 is cheaper and have similar specifications only difference is amoled screen and chipset which is last generation but still pretty good.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Good luck.
The Galaxy Note 8 might fix everything that’s ‘wrong’ with the Galaxy S8

what about oneplus 5?
oneplus 5 - Google Search
OnePlus 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S8 - GSMArena.com

OP
sidster

sidster

Broken In
I really want to wait for Oneplus 5, but I urgently need a phone. My current phone is 8 years old xD.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
S8 comes with a spec upgrade, slight updates in software. If you are looking for the best specification then S8 is the best phone in Android platform. And it is also one of the best looking as well. Just note that in India it will come with Exynos processor and not Snapdragon which is slightly less powerful than SD 835.

The display quality is same as S7 but has higher resolution, always on display and it's features are same as S7. Camera hardware is same, there are some minor upgrades on the software though. Battery is a major upgrade in terms of security (rumors are Samsung will get LG to produces batteries for their phones.) The other common flaw, UI is much better compared to previous ones, it is trimmed even further and has minimalist look. You can try the new UI, Elegance UI which is similar to the new UI in S8. The Edges still lack actual use cases, it is more for looks than function. The edge has been upgraded to be more gradual so it feels better than S7, though the false touch issue still remains. Bixby is a good addition but is redundant, again there is not much features in it to make it significant. Future Bixby updates with more use cases and more integration making it better can be expected. For security, S8 has facial recognition which fails rarely but can also be bypassed. Other one is iris sensor which is great. Finally, the finger print sensor is at par, but the location of the sensor. These were some of my observations with the device.

Overall, it is the best android device, price no bar. Personally, I'm waiting for Pixel 2 or even Galaxy Note 8.

Edit : A device mix up between LG G6 and Galaxy S8.

No Sir, Exynos is just equal, in some tests even better, when compared to Snapdragon.

Last edited:

azvnoit

Journeyman
No Sir, Exynos is just equal, in some tests even better, when compared to Snapdragon.

I was able to run Antutu only for the time I had with S8 devices and SD835 ousted Exynos 8895 by a slim margin of less than 700. Although both devices are way above the one in third which was OnePlus 3T with around 1000 lesser than S8 Exynos 8895. These differences will barely matter, though. And I suppose Exynos 8895 edges past others in Multicore tests.

Edit : Congratulations, OP on your purchase.

Last edited:
OP
sidster

sidster

Broken In
Thanks a lot, guys.
It's a great device, I recommend it to all.
Got it online from Flipkart for 48000 if I'm not wrong.
Edit: My bad, I meant 58000

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Exynos is no lesser than SD. In most of the test, it even beats the SD in terms of performance.
@sidster, isn't it costs close to 59k? I don't think there are/were any offers on this phone (samsung doesn't give any discountson their flagship phones).

OP
sidster

sidster

Broken In
Exynos is no lesser than SD. In most of the test, it even beats the SD in terms of performance.
@sidster, isn't it costs close to 59k? I don't think there are/were any offers on this phone (samsung doesn't give any discountson their flagship phones).
Yea sorry, 58000 not 48000. I forgot to cross check my typing errors.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
^^ oh, alright. Nice purchase man. Its display quality is sick! Apple will take years to reach upto that level, lol.

Top Bottom