Need Suggestion: Re-Installing Windows XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_fanatic

Broken In
Hello Team Digit,

If anyone could give me a suggestion on re-installing Windows XP Professional, i will be very thankful.

My problem: I have a very old and small HDD and it got 2 partitions C:\ and D:\
i install winXP pro. on C:\ drive and also my D:\ drives is full of software (only 2% free), Unluckily my CD R/W crashes. So my main problem is that, i've got a virus on my system and Symantec Anti Virus cannot find the virus. So i tried to re-install Windows XP from my backup D:\ drive.

Evrything works fine when.. setup comes to 'Examining disk space for windows installation..' i got a less space, so windows setup cannot continue.

So is there anyway of deleting/formating C: drive and setup windows from my backup D:\ drive.
Thanks

praka123

left this forum longback
Better you quit ur affair with microsoft windows os.i suggest you use GNU/Linux Operating System.it is available free and is very stable,less resource hogging,tailor-made distros available for slow/old computers for eg:damn small linux.;No viruses,trogens,worms affects Linux or BSD Unixens.get yoself Any Good distros;even u can try Linux without installing on hdd,run from cdrom-livecd.So time for a Change!

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Use CCleaner. Install and run it once, before running tick all the checkboxes.
If u are using it for the first time, you will amazed by the amount of space freed.

How did you do the backup of C: drive?
Did u use any imaging softwares?

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
What is the storage capacity of your Hard Drive and how large are the partititons?
If your XP installation is a very old one, there are quite a few many steps you can take to win back a lot of wasted space.

1. Using the Disk Cleanup tool in windows, Analyse your C drive and then before cleaning it up, select the More Options tab. The third Option in this tab is to remove the previous saved system restores. Click on that, i have seen PCs where nearly 2Gb of space has been recovered using this option.

2. After removing the previous system restores, Clean up both the drives using Disk Cleanup.

3. Using CCleaner, run a complete analyse and clean up everything that it reports, and make sure you check the Hotfix Uninstallers option. If you have an old XP installation, you are bound to have a lot of space wasted on Hotfix Uninstallers.

4. Before you begin the process of Re-Installation, try to get some "good" and safer anti virus than the bloated Norton and scan your system thouroughly. You can use NOD32 or Kaspersky. If your CD Drive is not working at all, use a pen drive if you have one or download the trial. You can even use the Online Scanners provided by most of the companies.

5. Now you can try to run the setup again and see if it works.

PS. - Just a suggestion, with the falling Hard Drive prices, you can even think of buying a new and larger Hard drive.

OP
mr_fanatic

mr_fanatic

Broken In
hello, after downloading and installing CCLEANER i could be able to free some spaces and install Windows XP. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom