Need suggestion for upgrading Graphics Card

avpradee

Broken In
Hi All,

Below is my current configuration bought in 2011.

Processor - Intel Core i5 2400 3.1 ghz
Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Cabinet - Cooler master elite 431 plus
PSU - Corsair GS600
Ram – DDR3 – 8gb - 1333Mghz
Motherboard - Asus - P8H67-M Pro

My current requirement is to upgrade the PC and use it for gaming for another 3-4 years.

I have the below queries:

1. Will it be a bottleneck if replacement is done only for the graphics card - 1050Ti/1060
2. Does my mother board support 1050Ti/1060
3. Does my PSU support 1050Ti/1060

Regards,
Pradeep

OP
A

avpradee

Broken In
1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ? Gaming or workstation work? (Name few Games or applications are you going to run)
Ans: Casual Gamer - Shadow of Mordor, Call of Duty: WWII, Wolfenstein 2. Application would be mainly on programming side - Visual Studio and Eclipse.

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: Corsair Gaming series Gs 600

3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: 20000 RS

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: Currently gaming using a dell monitor @ 1080P. Planning to buy 4K TV to game using the to be upgraded configuration.

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans:
Processor - Intel Core i5 2400 3.1 ghz
Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Cabinet - Cooler master elite 431 plus
PSU - Corsair GS600
Ram – DDR3 – 8gb - 1333Mghz GSkill
Motherboard - Asus - P8H67-M Pro

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
A 1060 6GB would be sufficient for 1080p60 gaming on high-very high settings and shouldn't be bottle-necked by your i5 2400. Also, if you are aiming for 4k, 1060 is not going to cut it. And its a bad choice to use a TV for gaming because of high input lag.

OP
A

avpradee

Broken In
Sorry to be a noob. I have the below queries , to get clear understanding if I want to buy 4k Tv or not.

1. Is it a good idea to turn off the GPU scaling of the video card when connected to 4k TV.
2. If the TV does the upscale of the game from 1080P to 4k . What is it I will be compromising on .

Regards,
Pradeep

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
+1 for GTX 1060. Get the 6 GB variant and not the 3 GB one. Modern games are already making use of 4 GB graphics memory even at 1080p [1]. Since you plan on using this rig for a few years, it's important to have enough memory to go with the GPU. Games tend use consoles as baseline, and the PS4 has 8 GB of unified memory (of which 5 GB or so is for games).

4K native gaming isn't something that GTX 1060 can handle, especially in AAA games. Heck, even the GTX 1080ti has trouble holding 60fps at 4K in modern titles. That said, 1440p/1800p scaled to 4K will look awesome at reasonable viewing distances.

The 1333 Mhz RAM that you currently have could become a bottleneck. Consider upgrading to faster RAM if budget permits and your mobo supports it / you are willing to OC. This is not big cause for concern unless you're into competitive multiplayer games. If a game does become CPU limited, lock it to 30 fps and max out the graphics settings / resolution and consider playing with a controller rather than KB+mouse (modern games like AC Origins are pretty demanding of the CPU, and you rig will probably not hit 60 fps consistently and will need a frame rate cap for smooth gameplay).

[1] Quantum Break PC Performance: GTX 970 vs R9 390 - What Went Wrong?

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Sorry to be a noob. I have the below queries , to get clear understanding if I want to buy 4k Tv or not.

1. Is it a good idea to turn off the GPU scaling of the video card when connected to 4k TV.
2. If the TV does the upscale of the game from 1080P to 4k . What is it I will be compromising on .

Regards,
Pradeep

It's usually better to let the GPU rather than the TV handle the scaling. The nVidia driver should provide this in case the game doesn't natively support it.

If you let the TV handle the scaling, it will likely add some latency. Most TVs already have higher latencies than PC monitors, so adding even more latency is a pretty bad idea.

To decide if a TV is for you, consider if you would be OK playing with a controller or do you absolutely want KB+mouse for gaming? High input latency with a proportional input device like a mouse will feel a lot worse than a time integrated input like the analog sticks on a controller. If you think you can't tolerate the extra latency, stick with a monitor (or a TV with a low latency "game mode"). If you're primarily playing single player games with a controller, the input lag isn't as big of a deal.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
But there are TVs out there with response time of 4ms or less with 2k resolution. Are those advertised response time a gimmick or do those TVs actually are better than monitors with response time of 6ms or more?

Top Bottom