What's your budget?
55k-70k

Camera type?
DSLR

Body Style?
Doesn't Matter!

How much zoom do you want/expect?
Maybe 105 or 135mm

Do you care for manual exposure controls?
Yeah

What will you be shooting with this camera?
Mostly Images.. rarely Videos

What will you be shooting mostly indoors, low light, landscape, macro

Do you have any particular model(s) in your mind?
Nikon D7000, Nikon D5200, Canon 60D, other suggestions are welcome too..

Any brand preference? Like/dislike

Like:- Nikon and Canon

From where will you be buying? Online or Local Store.

I guess Local Store. Online store only if the price is lesser than local stores

Any other features you need?
No..

Anything else you would like to tell us?
Would appreciate if a link is being posted for a good online deal (ebay)

sujoyp

Grand Master
1st question ...are u using DSLR for the 1st time...or you own any older one..

And do you have any experience in handling DSLR before

raja manuel

In the zone
Why are you looking at cameras like the D7000 and 60D? The D5100 has the same sensor as the D7000 and the 550D has the same sensor as the 60D (and the 7D). Unless you have a particular need for semi-pro specs (which is unlikely considering you are a beginner) I would suggest you buy a lower spec body and put the money in lenses, flashes etc.

Why do you want a DSLR anyway?

OP
M

Madh1261

Broken In
I love photography.. And i want to pursue a career in photography, therefore to learn photography, i need a dslr..

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would suggest getting A D5200 for a start ...people say it have better performance then D7100 and it have same focus module and metering as a D7000 ....and you will save money for other things like lenses,tripod, flash, bag etc

Edit: you really want to persue a carrier in photography. Then you should go for D7000 from day 1. there is obviously a lot to learn...but slowly in a year or two you will learn

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
i want to pursue a career in photography

Then go for Pro...

And check sites like these to get to know about the business "photography"
Thoughts and advice for those considering a career in photography
Sobering Truths About Making A Career Out Of Photography
HOW I RUINED MY CAREER | People of the Second Chance
How to Become a Professional Photographer

raja manuel

In the zone
I don't see how a pentaprism viewfinder is supposed to make you a pro. All the film SLRs I have used had pentaprisms and that didn't make me a pro.
Not that being a pro means anything much. I have seen professional photographers with fancy equipment turn out photographs that were as atrocious as their fees.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't see how a pentaprism viewfinder is supposed to make you a pro. All the film SLRs I have used had pentaprisms and that didn't make me a pro.

:rofl: :rofl:

Because you will never meet a pro using a 550D.

You know I am a compact camera user... Even I want to have a camera which has a
- easy manual controls with knobs, buttons, dials, rings etc... It's much better if it has dedicated aperture/shutter/focus/zoom/ISO dial/ring.
- a weather shield body
- a nice burst speed with good buffer

*cdn.pocket-lint.com/r/s/748x/assets/images/phpkapgls.jpg

He has decent budget (may be not like the one in the picture) and he wants to pursue a career in photography, then why not a pro body???

sujoyp

Grand Master
@raja please try to manual focus on a D3xxx, D5xxx or 5xxD, 6xxD body with pentamirror and you will know why pentaprism is soo important ....its just impossible to manual focus correctly...also D7000, D7100 have added bonus of giving AF confirmation on old AIS, AI lenses and inbody motor for AF lens

raja manuel

In the zone
Again, an assumption that a pro photographer needs all these. We are talking of a beginner here. Using a lower spec, cheaper DSLR with more money left to spend on accessories is a much better way to go. In a couple of years he would have grown a lot as a photographer and would be much better placed to decide what he wants out of a much higher spec body and by that time bodies would have improved even more in their price/abilities ratio.

Are any of you going to argue against the idea that the investment is in the lenses, not the body? If not I don't understand why you are recommending that a beginner blow money on a body.

sujoyp

Grand Master
you are right about investment on lens....but there is also another saying that get the best body 1st time soo that u dont have to change it after 2 years and you can invest in lenses next 5 years....and you dont find bracketing missing, inbody motor missing, dof button missing, timelapse video missing right 3 months after u buy ur new dslr..

I have dealt with all these for these years ....I know how important these are :)

OP
M

Madh1261

Broken In
Yeah I was thinking about the same thing to get a better body first which I can use for 2-3 years, learning about photography with a semi pro or pro dslr and then investing in lens in future...

raja manuel

In the zone
you are right about investment on lens....but there is also another saying that get the best body 1st time soo that u dont have to change it after 2 years and you can invest in lenses next 5 years....and you dont find bracketing missing, inbody motor missing, dof button missing, timelapse video missing right 3 months after u buy ur new dslr..

I have dealt with all these for these years ....I know how important these are :)

Are you saying that you can get these only in a semi-pro body?

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes raja...either I can buy a cheap 4-5 yr old semi pro like D90, D300 which also serves the purpose...or get a new D7000, D7100

D5100 may have some of these features...but again its viewfinder, no bracketing, and yes an important flash commander mode...which can trigger the slave flash wirelessly.

there are just soo many advantages...if u have budget then go for it :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes Raja u are right ...other then pentaprism canon 600d have bracketing and flash commander mode :(

ok soo these are not big things..then better focus module, better metering, 14bit RAW, better grip,weather sealing ...comon we can not say mid range is better then semi pros
And when comparing 60D and nikon D7000 ...D7000 is clear winner :D

Top Bottom