Need Renewed/Refurbished Laptop under 21K

revo457

Broken In
1) Budget: Rs. 21,000 (Max)
2) Primary purpose: Coding via NetBeans IDE 8.2, Office work (Doing work from home)
3) Warranty: Minimum 6 months (Manufacturer/Seller warranty)
4) Processor: i3 or more (i5 or more preferably)
5) RAM: 6GB DDR4 or more
6) Display resolution: 1366x768 or more
7) Hard Disk: 250GB or more (SSD or normal HDD)
8) Operating system: Windows 10 or Windows 11 (64 bit)
9) Softwares: Should have MS Office
10) Hardware: Should have Wifi, Bluetooth, Webcam, USB 3.0 port and HDMI port
11) Cooling fans: Internal fan is a must
12) Purchase place: Online or offline
-> Touch laptop, Optical Drive: Not needed
-> Weight, Battery backup, Size, Brands, Graphics Card: Any

Searched Laptops:-
1. *amzn.eu/d/hTS0Hwq
2. *amzn.eu/d/18VgGMn

Last edited:

bubusam13

Human
If you are in Blr, you can buy locally.
I'll advise you to look for used laptops on Facebook Marketplace and then go meet the vendor.

I recently paid Rs 28,000 for an unused Dell laptop with an i7 8th generation, 16GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD.

amazon.in/Acer-Pentium-Processor-Windows-14-inches/dp/B0B6427F1N/
amazon.in/Crucial-PC4-25600-SODIMM-260-Pin-Memory/dp/B08C4Z69LN

Can buy that laptop new for 23k + add 8GB RAM extra for 1.6k, making it a decent laptop for under 25k.

I won't recommend buying renewed online as its a gamble. Can check used market locally. You should be able to get an old laptop with at least i5 8th gen + 8GB RAM + SSD + 1080p display under 25k. Prefer i5 8th gen or R5 3500U based laptops as dual cores aren't that good these days considering everything is getting more computationally demanding.

OP
R

revo457

Broken In
@bubusam13 I am in Mumbai. I have the option to go to Lamington Road. Thank you for your advice of going to Facebook Marketplace (I didn't even know that it existed! It looks similar to Olx)

@omega44-xt
amazon.in/Acer-Pentium-Processor-Windows-14-inches/dp/B0B6427F1N/
Thank you for posting the link. It doesn't have MS Office. I have tried LibreOffice but in one or two cases the document won't open correctly. Will have to buy MS office separately making the budget go over 30K.

As far as buying a used laptop, it would be great if the vendor could provide some kind of warranty in my opinion.

I would also like to know whether graphics card of a laptop can be replaced as I plan to play games but that's a very low priority.

Thank you.

bubusam13

Human
You only have the option o upgrade the RAM and SSD/HDD in a laptop.
You can not add a graphics card or change CPU (There are workarounds available, but not going to that technical side.)

You can check if your local seller give warranty. Where I purchased, they give 3 to 6 months of warranty.

Which version of MS office you are looking for and how much is the retail cost ?

@bubusam13 I am in Mumbai. I have the option to go to Lamington Road. Thank you for your advice of going to Facebook Marketplace (I didn't even know that it existed! It looks similar to Olx)

@omega44-xt

Thank you for posting the link. It doesn't have MS Office. I have tried LibreOffice but in one or two cases the document won't open correctly. Will have to buy MS office separately making the budget go over 30K.

As far as buying a used laptop, it would be great if the vendor could provide some kind of warranty in my opinion.

I would also like to know whether graphics card of a laptop can be replaced as I plan to play games but that's a very low priority.

Thank you.
You don't get MS office in used laptops as well. Most laptops didn't have it back then. I think it started recently.

You can use other methods or grey market keys instead of paying full retail price for Home & Student version. Also, you can use MS Office online for free, like google suite.

No warranty in F2F used laptop purchases. Resellers will charge a commission, doubt you will get something great for 20k or so. They will say stuff like dual core i5 4th gen is better than Pentium N6000.

Almost all CPUs here have Cinebench R15 numbers - higher is better. Just a fun info., S778 found in 25k phones comes very close to i5 8th gen suggested earlier as minimum.

1677214165420.png

OP
R

revo457

Broken In
Thank you all for your replies. I will check for a used laptop having some warranty in Lamington Road, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

@omega44-xt
Which website did you use for processor comparison and post the image in your reply?

I am going a little off-topic here as Office apps are mentioned. I am looking for an Office app which can be used for commercial use as I am doing work from home.

All the Office files should open correctly which is the highest priority!

Of all the office apps I have tried, FreeOffice seems to work correctly until now and it is free for business use. Using FreeOffice for first time, there was some inconvenience: How to show only page and disable margin lines. For that you can check here [ *rb.gy/de44xs ]. If I encounter any error or so while using FreeOffice, I will post it here.

1. LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice are free for commercial use but I encountered error while opening one or two files.
2. WPS Office is free for non-commercial use, it is written on the page [ *rb.gy/vqo3ug ].
3. MS office Home and student version cannot be used for commercial purpose according to the link [ *rb.gy/zkezpk ] which means that one should have to buy MS Office professional version or MS office Home and Business. I would prefer latest version of MS office which is 2021 so that all features are included and all files open correctly. The webpage from flipkart [ *rb.gy/284zwd ] offers MS Office Professional Plus 2021 in 3k approximately. So if I purchase it with [ amazon.in/Acer-Pentium-Processor-Windows-14-inches/dp/B0B6427F1N/ ] the budget would be 28k approximately.
4. For Office 365, I am not sure whether it can be used freely for commercial use (Searched a lot but couldn't get an answer). I think it is free for Schools and Students but not for professionals/business. For businesses, Microsoft 365 is Rs. 650/month according to the link [ *rb.gy/afjddl ].
5. For Google docs, I am again not sure whether it can be used freely for commercial use. I have read the content on the link [ *rb.gy/qxxkc8 ], the answer says to read the Terms of Service but there is no mention whether commercial/business use is allowed or not in the Terms of Service. Also, there is slight formatting error I encountered while opening a doc file in Google docs.

(Please correct me, if I am wrong in any of the above points)

Thank you.

bubusam13

Human
O365 is subscription based. It is very good if you are subscribing for a family plan. You will have all the documents on the go + added features. *www.microsoft.com/en-in/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products
Are you going to purchase office ? I have office 2021 retail key, original.

The office tools from other vendors cannot beat MS Office.

Office pre-bundled with laptops are Office 2021 Home & Student.

I don't know about commercial usage policy, but Office is free to use like Google suite online on their website, storage is just 5GB though.

For Google & Microsoft, I know companies purchase licenses or accounts in bulk.

Basic business plans are cheap at ₹130 pm per account:
workspace.google.com/intl/en_in/pricing.html
microsoft.com/en-in/microsoft-365/business/compare-all-microsoft-365-business-products

Legality of T&C aside, I don't think MS/Google will go after a small business using a Office H&S or free gmail accounts. Many businesses are already using it, heck piracy is very rampant in small businesses. So IMO grey market retail key or Office H&S is totally fine for you.

3k Office Pro Plus key in FK is likely a grey market key.

Anyways, take your call on what you will do. I'm no lawyer or financial advisor.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
O365 is subscription based. It is very good if you are subscribing for a family plan. You will have all the documents on the go + added features. *www.microsoft.com/en-in/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products
Are you going to purchase office ? I have office 2021 retail key, original.

The office tools from other vendors cannot beat MS Office.
Hey thanks a lot for the Office 2021 keys! Worked flawlessly.

Top Bottom