Need project ideas

Some unique project

Hi, I'm currently pursuing bachelors in CS, in 4th semester. I have to create a project in C++. Now, the problem is that I cannot think of something useful, something people could use after it's completion. So, can someone suggest some stuff / application for the purpose?

Whats the matter, 31 views and not a single reply? It this place wrong or is the question wrong?

Whats the matter, 31 views and not a single reply? It this place wrong or is the question wrong?

Last edited:
OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Basically, I don't want to reinvent the wheel; so I want to do something new and usefull using c++. An application would be good, or some other specific software

Basically, I don't want to reinvent the wheel; so I want to do something new and usefull using c++. An application would be good, or some other specific software

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
OP you're line of thinking is commendable, just think the other way round a bit. start with requirements, every project starts with requirement...think what people or you need instead of creating something that "might" get useful. And be very rational about the effort and estimate (affordability is not an issue, justifying the purpose is....project X could be done in budget or effort Y but i did with Z...should not happen), feasibility and risk also shd be considered. But first thing's first , requirements....what do you require NOW which has relevance to daily operations you do in a digital environment...may be you can come up with some repository with a VC++ GUI, which will store "Ready Made" codes for different algorithmic functions and operations for students who are learning C for the first time.

The student will enter "addition of two numbers"

The GUI will fetch the code for "addition of two numbers in C and show it to him....but the catch is.... student might enter "to sum up two numbers" or "add up two numbers" or " Summation of two numbers" ...similar strings meaning the same..but the tool should always fetch the same result. The tool will have to be smart enough to understand naturally.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
OP you're line of thinking is commendable, just think the other way round a bit. start with requirements, every project starts with requirement...think what people or you need instead of creating something that "might" get useful. And be very rational about the effort and estimate (affordability is not an issue, justifying the purpose is....project X could be done in budget or effort Y but i did with Z...should not happen), feasibility and risk also shd be considered. But first thing's first , requirements....what do you require NOW which has relevance to daily operations you do in a digital environment...may be you can come up with some repository with a VC++ GUI, which will store "Ready Made" codes for different algorithmic functions and operations for students who are learning C for the first time.

The student will enter "addition of two numbers"

The GUI will fetch the code for "addition of two numbers in C and show it to him....but the catch is.... student might enter "to sum up two numbers" or "add up two numbers" or " Summation of two numbers" ...similar strings meaning the same..but the tool should always fetch the same result. The tool will have to be smart enough to understand naturally.
That's a nice idea, but I already started working on a sort of questionnaire program. In this program, user would first select the categories for which he/she would like the questions to come up from. Then, at a random time a question would pop up and the user will have to answer it. The question could pop up anytime, while watching a movie, while browsing... etc. This would help the user to stay with the stuff for a long time and would actually make the user realize how/what they know and what they don't.
I'm using MFC to take the GUI approach in this.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ The very same (exactly same) is running here in Sharepoint...its called pop-up quiz apps for Axis employees. but they desgined so devlishly that once you login to ur system and the network, the pop will will splash ur screen with the question and options, and will last untill and unless u click the right answer, u cant close the window without the right answer...:evil:

Top Bottom