Need mobo+cpu+ram (30k budget)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win 7 doesn't have usb 3 drivers for latest gen mobos,you will need to use this:

ASRock B450 Pro4

upload_2019-9-25_13-15-49.png

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Thanks. Hope it will support usb gen 2 also.

I initially thought I had a faulty motherboard.

Also ryzen 5 3600 temps as indicated in the bios is hovering around 65 deg (idle) - stock cooler. Is this normal? I did apply sone thermal paste but no change in temps.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryzen 3600 does run a bit hotter because of its 7nm manufacturing base.See how are clocks,if cpu clock is touching 4GHz then 65C is usual(on B450 mobos ryzen 3600 may reach such high clocks sometimes even when idle).

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Win 7 doesn't have usb 3 drivers for latest gen mobos,you will need to use this:

ASRock B450 Pro4

View attachment 18385

I just downloaded the tool and patched win 7 installation file to an image.

So if I install the patched win 7, then I'll be able to use my usb drives. Is that correct. Because now none of the usb ports are working. Like I said, I managed to install win 7 with the ps/2 mouse but on desktop I cant use the keyboard.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,the patched win 7 image should have newest usb 3 drivers supporting the mobo.You can even try manually updating the usb driver by clicking on device manager ? mark usb driver & select "let me choose the driver location" & then select the dvd drive/mounted patched win 7 iso.

Bought the Asrock b450 from prime abgb & ryzen 3600 and g.skill ripjaws V from itdepot. Total cost under 32k.

Also the Asus turbo 2070 rtx from Vedant (thanks to whitestar_99 for his suggestion. Saw it in another thread)

Tried to boot my win 7 installation of my old system. Didn't work so had to format my the hdd (os partition) and reinstall win 7 after a lot of headscratching since I couldn't get the usb drives working. Used an old ps/2 mouse for installation hoping the drives would work after installation. However no such luck.

Is there any workaround for that? Didn't know that win 7 is not supported on am4 boards.
Seriously, Win10 isn't as bad as some say. I'd say except for privacy concerns, its better than Win7 in every respect. No point using Win7 in 2019, esp for gamers.

Also get a cheap 120GB SSD for 1.6k, use that for OS.

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Yes,the patched win 7 image should have newest usb 3 drivers supporting the mobo.You can even try manually updating the usb driver by clicking on device manager ? mark usb driver & select "let me choose the driver location" & then select the dvd drive/mounted patched win 7 iso.

Tried that, didn't work. Gave up. Downloaded and installed Win 10.

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Seriously, Win10 isn't as bad as some say. I'd say except for privacy concerns, its better than Win7 in every respect. No point using Win7 in 2019, esp for gamers.

Also get a cheap 120GB SSD for 1.6k, use that for OS.

Installed Win 10 on my hdd. Somehow my second hdd stopped working. Checked it and found that it had a lot of bad sectors. After the next restart it stopped showing up on 'My PC'. Any suggestions on how to get it working?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win 7 support is going to end on 14th Jan 2020 so it is anyway recommended not to install it on new system.

Try recuva or live linux usb,if still hdd doesn't show up then most likely a mechanical fault & nothing you can do.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are not recommended.Basically you are paying money to someone who has no legal right to sell those keys & even if that key works it is not much better than using "ahem" method.One can just use win 10 pro in "forever trial" mode with just the restriction of not able to use personalization options like changing wallpapers etc.
You never know what trojan / rootkit the "ahem" method might have. And people do like to change wallpapers. :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You never know what trojan / rootkit the "ahem" method might have. And people do like to change wallpapers. :p
Actually this "ahem" method is based on an open source project written in C(check PM),you can check it yourself & even compile your own "ahem method" if you like to experiment.:grin:

P.S. the above "ahem" method actually does not even touch your pc,it is basically a portable server.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually this "ahem" method is based on an open source project written in C(check PM),you can check it yourself & even compile your own "ahem method" if you like to experiment.:grin:

P.S. the above "ahem" method actually does not even touch your pc,it is basically a portable server.
Great actually then. :p

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Ok. Sorry for bumping up this old thread. Seems like my motherboard (Asrock B450 Pro4) gave up on me AGAIN. Just a couple of weeks beyond warranty.

Please suggest a replacement

My specs are still the same - R5 3600, 16 gb RAM & RTX 2070. No overclocking.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
That's bad.
I guess you wouldn't go with the Asrock again. BTW, you didn't say your budget. You can go for B550 board if you want.

Asus B450M A II/Gigabyte B450M DS3H 7k. If you can't spend much, either of 'em would do. They're decent enough for non OC R5 3600
Gigabyte B450 Aorus M/Aorus Elite 8k-9k. Bit better than the above. But again for the price, you can get B550. B550M DS3H is a decent one.
B550M PRO VDH for 10.5k is a good one.

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
That's bad.
I guess you wouldn't go with the Asrock again. BTW, you didn't say your budget. You can go for B550 board if you want.

Asus B450M A II/Gigabyte B450M DS3H 7k. If you can't spend much, either of 'em would do. They're decent enough for non OC R5 3600
Gigabyte B450 Aorus M/Aorus Elite 8k-9k. Bit better than the above. But again for the price, you can get B550. B550M DS3H is a decent one.
B550M PRO VDH for 10.5k is a good one.
Ok. I am planning to carry on with my rig for at least another 5 years.
By AGAIN I was talking about the mobo on my previous rig. It was a Gigabyte one (don't remember the model) and it had to be replaced 2 years after purchase and it worked for 3 years before it gave up. All the other components were ok.

And regarding budget - I need something that should last. 10k is my ceiling. But I'm ready to go higher.

I don't understand why mobos fail so fast. Should I try for repair (I don't have much hope though) before I go for a replacement?

BTW I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know if service center would do repairs out of warranty products. Anyway ask them and let's hear what they say. You can try other repair shop who do chip level servicing. I think they don't last long, but I would do if I am in your position if it's not too expensive. In fact, I did once with a decade old chipset board of some unknown brand. It worked for a while and again starting giving issues.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
What exact issue you are facing with your Asrock board, I am also in search of new mobo, looks like Asrock is not reliable ?
For me, board never failed, they did fail couple of time but then because of my experiments and mistakes, I still have few old boards with me, working conditions. ( Asus and Gigabyte, never owned any Asrock)

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
What exact issue you are facing with your Asrock board, I am also in search of new mobo, looks like Asrock is not reliable ?
For me, board never failed, they did fail couple of time but then because of my experiments and mistakes, I still have few old boards with me, working conditions. ( Asus and Gigabyte, never owned any Asrock)
No display at all i.e. no POST. It was working fine till the day before. Initially my case fan didn't work. So I cleaned my PC and tried again and it did start spinning. However still no display. Fans on all components i.e. gfx card, PSU, CPU are all working - so no problem there. I swapped my psu & gfx card with ones from my previous PC - still nothing. Tried with just 1 RAM stick and then the next - nothing.
Three is nothing else that I could.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Is there any reset jumper in it, hopefully you have tried that already. I had exact problem, (with Asus though), had almost given up after trying so many things but then (reset (through jumber) + 10 mins without cmos battery and power, it came to life. Happened few times again, ie. no post but fans spinning, everytime worked for next 1 year or so. Then I retired that board (was i3 3rd gen something) However, sometimes this also happens when power management related issue is there on board, you could try local experienced guys before buying new one.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No display at all i.e. no POST. It was working fine till the day before. Initially my case fan didn't work. So I cleaned my PC and tried again and it did start spinning. However still no display. Fans on all components i.e. gfx card, PSU, CPU are all working - so no problem there. I swapped my psu & gfx card with ones from my previous PC - still nothing. Tried with just 1 RAM stick and then the next - nothing.
Three is nothing else that I could.
Do a bench test/bread boarding then. Take everything out of the case and try.

Top Bottom