Need Laptop for College, Video Editing and Movies/TV

Tintin.92

Broken In
1) What is your budget? 35k-45k INR (Upto 45 if needed, but preferably lower)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Considering both:

Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
College stuff, like reading, office, internet. Some video editing as required by course curriculum. Watching Movies and TV shows.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Min 4Gig RAM
1 TB Hard Disk
Preferably Haswell chipset.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Unfortunately, must be HP only
b. Dislike: Everything that isn't HP.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution: 1366x768 will do, though anything higher can also be considered.
Battery back up: Again, 3-4 hours will do, higher is preferred.
Purchase place: Anything goes.

Guys this is actually for a friend of mine, who needs a new laptop urgently. I hope You can give any suggestions quickly.

OP
T

Tintin.92

Broken In
Unfortunately It's not for me, so not my decision, and my friend's dad is pretty adamant about HP unless I can make a very compelling argument against it.

The one she's looking at is this: Amazon.in: Buy HP Pavilion 15-n259TX 15.6-inch Laptop (Metallic Black) with Laptop Bag Online at Low Prices in India | HP Reviews & Ratings

Anything about this model that stands out really bad?

Also, link to z510 variant you guys are talking about?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^
Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo Ideapad Z510 59-405848 15.6-inch Notebook (Black) with Laptop Bag Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

Why buy a HP laptop when the Lenovo one offers better in same price?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^
Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo Ideapad Z510 59-405848 15.6-inch Notebook (Black) with Laptop Bag Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

Why buy a HP laptop when the Lenovo one offers better in same price?

Le friend 's dad, not his/our problem.

Errr, I don't think HP laptops are bad, well atleast the Envy series is not, and as for hisrequirements, this one might be the best option :
*www.hpshopping.in/hponlinestore/Pr...ProductName=HP_Pavilion_15-p001tx_Notebook_PC

and if he is fine with ULV i3, then this :
*www.hpshopping.in/hponlinestore/Pr...ProductName=HP_Pavilion_15-p028tx_Notebook_PC

I am not sure about the pricing though, so you need to ask your friend to confirm it from his local HP retailer/reseller, usually the price is reduced by 1500~3000

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Errr, I don't think HP laptops are bad, well atleast the Envy series is not, and as for hisrequirements, this one might be the best option :
*www.hpshopping.in/hponlinestore/Pr...ProductName=HP_Pavilion_15-p001tx_Notebook_PC

*www.hpshopping.in/hponlinestore/Pr...ProductName=HP_Pavilion_15-p028tx_Notebook_PC

I am not sure about the pricing though, so you need to ask your friend to confirm it from his local HP retailer/reseller, usually the price is reduced by 1500~3000

Envy series is blatantly overpriced and uses DDR3 memory in GPUs.
core i3U is just too damn weak.

$hadow

Geek in making

Use these laptop in real life and feel the difference

Envy series is blatantly overpriced and uses DDR3 memory in GPUs.
core i3U is just too damn weak.

That is why I recommended the ULV i5 version. And you are saying that HP Envy series is overpriced; why? If I may ask; is it just due to GPU ? Honestly, if that is the case then I am compelled to disagree, you cannot just pinpoint a particular weakness and say that it is overpriced or it is weak. I have seen Dell Inspiron 15R SE, and that thing, practically started to fall off(I do regret referring it to a friend of mine), I have seen Lenovo, and sure they do offer quite some specs for low price, but try opening the maintenance hatch, and you will see the difference. Every manufacturer has their own viewpoint and HP don't even brand any of their laptops as gaming ones(clearly stating their intentions and market position).

The only other option from Lenovo stable which I found : Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-405848) Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 1GB Graph) Rs.47490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-405848) Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 1GB Graph) Dark Chocolate Online - Lenovo: Flip

But it houses a a Kepler based card, and not Maxwell.
[MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION]
I am using HP DV6 for like 4 years for now ? The only thing that needs replacement now is the battery, otherwise it is working fine. And I have worked with the new Pavilion with i5 ULV, and they work fine for normal task; gaming was never meant to be done with an ULV processors.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
That is why I recommended the ULV i5 version. And you are saying that HP Envy series is overpriced; why? If I may ask; is it just due to GPU ? Honestly, if that is the case then I am compelled to disagree, you cannot just pinpoint a particular weakness and say that it is overpriced or it is weak. I have seen Dell Inspiron 15R SE, and that thing, practically started to fall off(I do regret referring it to a friend of mine), I have seen Lenovo, and sure they do offer quite some specs for low price, but try opening the maintenance hatch, and you will see the difference. Every manufacturer has their own viewpoint and HP don't even brand any of their laptops as gaming ones(clearly stating their intentions and market position).

The only other option from Lenovo stable which I found : Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-405848) Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 1GB Graph) Rs.47490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-405848) Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 1GB Graph) Dark Chocolate Online - Lenovo: Flip

But it houses a a Kepler based card, and not Maxwell.
[MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION]
I am using HP DV6 for like 4 years for now ? The only thing that needs replacement now is the battery, otherwise it is working fine. And I have worked with the new Pavilion with i5 ULV, and they work fine for normal task; gaming was never meant to be done with an ULV processors.

Say one is buying a laptop for laptop for 50-80k(Envy series) and he is not able to run games on it? How is that not a wastage of money.
For tasks like browsing etc, even a 20k laptop is sufficient. The 80k+ Envy series uses DDR3 memory in GT 750ms with 4 GB vRAM. :facepalm:
Even though Lenovo Z510 uses a Kepler card(GT 740m), that GPU is equivalent to the Maxwell GPU(GT 830m) in HP.
ULV processors don't even have half the performance of mainstream ones.

Hrishi

Say one is buying a laptop for laptop for 50-80k(Envy series) and he is not able to run games on it? How is that not a wastage of money.
For tasks like browsing etc, even a 20k laptop is sufficient. The 80k+ Envy series uses DDR3 memory in GT 750ms with 4 GB vRAM. :facepalm:
Even though Lenovo Z510 uses a Kepler card(GT 740m), that GPU is equivalent to the Maxwell GPU(GT 830m) in HP.
ULV processors don't even have half the performance of mainstream ones.
running games is not everything for a lot of buyers.
person who spends 60k on a laptop not necessarily has to be a gamer always,
and while a20k laptop may bear the same config as that of a 50k laptop , there may be a huge difference in appeal , build quality and the standard of materials used in manufacturing.

while from one perspective your opinion holds true but not necessarily in all scenarios.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
running games is not everything for a lot of buyers.
person who spends 60k on a laptop not necessarily has to be a gamer always,
and while a20k laptop may bear the same config as that of a 50k laptop , there may be a huge difference in appeal , build quality and the standard of materials used in manufacturing.

while from one perspective your opinion holds true but not necessarily in all scenarios.

For instance?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well, I'm not him but some people want and are willing to pay extra for better build quality. Like Thinkpads or Macbooks(Which seems to be the inspiration for the Envy series).

Envy series is a cheap(not literally) imitation of macbook series thinking that they can somehow copy Apple by overpricing laptops and using underpowered hardware.
However, Thinkpad laptops are no joke. Those are seriously legendary laptops. You can often find a Thinkpad with core i7 quad cores and packing upto 19 hours of battery life. HP Envy laptops cannot be put into the same category as these Legendary laptops. They are also tough as hell.

Hrishi

For instance?
instance for what ? have you not seen business professionals , etc purchasing thinkpads , envy , probooks , macs ,etc ?

i have had ThinkPad too. e430.
had i3 only but comparatively much tougher and rugged . was stable as well.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
instance for what ? have you not seen business professionals , etc purchasing thinkpads , envy , probooks , macs ,etc ?

i have had ThinkPad too. e430.
had i3 only but comparatively much tougher and rugged . was stable as well.

Business professionals buy laptops such as Macs(for responsiveness) and Thinkpads(for reliability).
As I said before, Thinkpads are no joke. Macs may be underpowered but they are responsive as hell.

Top Bottom