Need help with UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalam

In the zone
Since i do not know much about electronics i can't really be specific and am indeed a bit confuse but anyways i would really appreciate if you could help me in buying a better UPS.
I would just like to know what are the things that i should consider when deciding to buy a UPS?

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Well, first you need to consider your PC's power usage and your desired backup time in case of power cut. If your PC components are power hungry (like quad core processors, graphic cards in SLI etc) and you want to have more than 15 minutes of backup time, then it's a good idea to go for as higher as possible Wattage rating for the UPS. And talking about brands, APC is the best in the market in my opinion.

It would be better if you post your PC hardware configuration and desired backup time.

acewin

Point Blanc
first and foremost your budget and rig(wattage) you are buying.
most of get blinded by APC when we talk about UPS, I would say I am one of them.

I have seen HP 800VA Premium(friend), APC 1100VA(me), and Microtek 1KVA(friend).
all 3 buy were suggested by me.
Microtek one gave probs, HP one havent heard from the fellow recently but I can vouch for it. APC I am blinded cant see anything beyond it :D, for onething it did not give me probs, and when it showed signs of it I got it replaced under warranty.

My hardware seller stopped selling HP saying there were issues in warranty claims for it. Now I wont repeat what debsurva has said and will wait for your response, as furthur reply waits on that.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
to the OP: plz giv me ur config so tat i can suggest u a UPS... :)
@ Acewin: well so u are regretting tat urs was an APC ups..lol...??
(i hv 2 UPSes) one a 1500VA (980W) pure sine wave ups and the other a 500VA stepped sine wave ups from APC, and both are working gr8,,,,so no complaints here,,, :D

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
to the OP: plz giv me ur config so tat i can suggest u a UPS... :)
@ Acewin: well so u are regretting tat urs was an APC ups..lol...??
(i hv 2 UPSes) one a 1500VA (980W) pure sine wave ups and the other a 500VA stepped sine wave ups from APC, and both are working gr8,,,,so no complaints here,,, :D
I'm also using an APC 500W. And if you take my word, there can be no complaints with APC. Period. :D

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The thing about electronics is that you could pick something up where a thousand folks you know have had good experiences but purchase the same thing and end up with a broken unit. That said I have personally used apc and also helped a couple of folks buy some ups for their systems which happen to be apc and they have worked pretty good till date. I have had a good experience. With microtek also.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
I'm also using an APC 500W. And if you take my word, there can be no complaints with APC. Period. :D
yeah totall agreed.. lol.. :D
The thing about electronics is that you could pick something up where a thousand folks you know have had good experiences but purchase the same thing and end up with a broken unit. That said I have personally used apc and also helped a couple of folks buy some ups for their systems which happen to be apc and they have worked pretty good till date. I have had a good experience. With microtek also.
yup, u said the right thing, :)
APC Smart Series UPSs are really good.....
yup, apc is really good....
SMART UPS range of APC UPS=Pure sine wave UPS (ideally used for Active PFC type of psu)
BACK UPS range of APC UPS=stepped/modified sine wave UPS
:)

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
@ashu888ashu888

u got apc smart series ups.
pls tell me about its price and quality.....

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ revolution: i hv got 2 UPS's from APC (for 2 of my systems...)

1.) APC BACK UPS (Stepped/modified sine wave) 500VA..I hv been using this UPS since 5 yrs and its been working w'out a single glitch, there hv been many voltage fluctuations and this UPS has handled every damn power glitch with ease...i hv NOT even changed the battery and its still working as new...gives me gr8 back up time of 15mins (with a 19" lcd and the then P-4 based system but now an Atom based system) :)

2.) APC SMART UPS (Pure sine wave) 1500VA,980W..I purchased this pure sine wave UPS for my Core i7 rig (seen in my siggy) in feb 2009 for Rs. 16K as i had Active pfc PSU and also for the reason tat my BACK UPS ups was NOT able to take the load.. its working gr8 too, i hv always trusted this brand and its the best, its damn costly but wen u see ur monster rig, internet and telephone surge all protected adn working gr8, then the price invariably gets justified in 4-5 years... :)
--------------

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
L

lalam

In the zone
Sorry guys came in to check this rather late and thanks a lot. Bought APC Back-UPS RS 1000VA 230V.
Once again thanks to all who answered, appreciated.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
@ashu888ashu888

Thanks for ur feedback!
Smart series is better but really expensive,at least for me.
I'm planning to buy a Active PFC PSU but have no choice but have to run my PC without any UPS cos I can't afford that UPS.....:(

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yeah, i totally agree with u buddy.. :( its a huge huge price so im NOT surprised tat u option outta it.. :(
--------------

Plz enquire abt other brands selling pure since wave UPS (never operate PC w'out a UPS) its risky and shortens the life of ur components.. hope u will understand.. :)
-------------

Cheers n e-peace....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom