Need help with setting up new SSD

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I bought a new SSD a couple of days ago. I installed it in my PC and followed this tutorial to configure it. As soon as the ssd was about to be format, my pc got restarted and I got a BSOD*imgur.com/a/N1Rjt9X . Imgur

After I restarted the computer, the ssd was still not showing up in "My Computer". When I tried to format or Change Letter or Path from Disk Management tool, I got these errors. *imgur.com/a/FB8dJD8 Imgur

After that I have tried using third party tools like Minitool and AOMEI partition tool, have deleted the partition using these tool, and tried to create a fresh partition and then set a letter to SSD but it is still not showing up in "My computer". SSD is showing up in these tools as well as in Connected Devices.

I had plans of cloning the OS from my current HDD to the SSD using some 3rd party tool. Can anyone help how should I go ahead with it.

Also, I have ordered it from amazon, and can return in the next 4 days if the SSD is broken.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Shut down your PC, disconnect the HDD, boot it up, check if SSD is getting detected in BIOS and only then proceed to install windows 10 on it. This way, you won't have any issues with partitioning scheme. Once windows 10 is up and running, connect the hdd, copy/backup important data and format the HDD to get rid of existing partitions.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I currently have windows 7 installed in my HDD. If I disconnect it, install windows 10 on Ssd and then connect back the HDD (which still will have windows 7),will the system run fine? What tools do I need to set up these? (I'll create a Bootable pendrive with windows 10, but after that what tools do I need to use - for copying data and then formatting the HDD)?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget about cloning OS,win 7 os should not be used anymore by anyone on a new system & even on older hardware it should not be used or used with the assumption of upgrading it soon to win 8.1/10. Follow @SaiyanGoku suggestion & after doing all that go to your mobo bios settings--boot device priority & select ssd with win 10 as the 1st boot device. Once system boots from ssd,just use hdd as secondary storage.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay I understand what you guys are saying but right now I don't have a 8gb or more usb drive to make it bootable and install win10 at hand right now and there is no way to get it right now under this lockdown. But I need to make sure the ssd is working fine before the return period is over. So is there no way to make it show up in "My computer" just so I can access it (won't close os as you suggested)?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you send it now for replacement then forget about getting any replacement before 2-3 weeks going by the current lock down situation.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Do you have any usb drive,you can use linux live usb to boot from that & access ssd & test it by copy pasting random data.

Can you link me to some tutorial that I can follow for this?

Correct me- I will have to make a bootable linux and disconnect hdd, connect ssd and then install linux on the ssd to check it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No,you create a bootable live linux usb then you boot from that usb. After boot the live linux will be loaded/installed into your pc ram without touching your hdd/ssd. You can then use live linux just like installed linux to browse your hdd/ssd & test the drive(I suggest connecting only ssd as it is confusing for a new linux user & you may accidentally delete something on hdd).
User's Guide

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
No,you create a bootable live linux usb then you boot from that usb. After boot the live linux will be loaded/installed into your pc ram without touching your hdd/ssd. You can then use live linux just like installed linux to browse your hdd/ssd & test the drive(I suggest connecting only ssd as it is confusing for a new linux user & you may accidentally delete something on hdd).
User's Guide
OT: Found something better to make a great bootable drive:
*www.easy2boot.com/download/

Top Bottom