Need help with pc configuration

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
In your usage scenario only way I can see real world improvement of NVMe is when playing a game that involves loading a few GB map contained in a single file.NVme have much better sequential read write speeds after all(but only if you use a good NVMe like samsung 970 & not those cheap adata ones).

In kolkata one can always go to mdcomputers/vedantcomputers/overclockerszone in that order for buying pc components.
Maybe i will visit md , previous exp is they give a better deal than vedant

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
made the following selection
111.jpg

are the components and prices ok ?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i will choose this seagate 2TB over that WD 2TB
SEAGATE DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 2TB BARRACUDA (ST2000DM006) .
WD has been rebranding their green series to blue series(2TB+) and they are slower at 5400 rpm. I will choose a 7200 rpm drive for a desktop anyday.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^He will be using samsung ssd for OS drive & for storage drive green/blue doesn't matter much. Btw there was never a 2TB wd blue 7200rpm drive,all blue drives over 1TB were always 5400rpm.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Afaik the slower the drive the longer it lasts , well that just me , maybe I m wrong or my knowledge is outdated . Was looking at the tomahawk because of some reviews on youtube .

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Skillz

Broken In
Top 5 AMD B450 Motherboards

i am also in a same spot with motherboard.. i like Asus, but with b450 they are falling behind of MSI. Asus have better bios which msi doesn't but their boards are sweet with good vrm compared to Asus. My favourite are Tomahawk and Carbon Pro AC ..

Minion

Conversation Architect
^^He will be using samsung ssd for OS drive & for storage drive green/blue doesn't matter much. Btw there was never a 2TB wd blue 7200rpm drive,all blue drives over 1TB were always 5400rpm.

My seagate drive which I brought in 2006 is a 7200rpm drive

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
More rpm also means more heat & WD after sales support is better than seagate. For storage drives speed does not matter as much unless you regularly copy 100's of GB of data frequently. If somebody is more comfortable with WD(reliability as well as after sales support) then only speed is not big enough criterion to change choice for a storage drive.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
ok forget ass , because a rma ed hdd is a lost case for the data in it , is segate 2 tb 7200 a better choice performance wise vis wd 2 tb blue (5200) ? Frankly i have never used wd , and have been a segate user starting with my 40 gb ide in 2004.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then why did you even consider WD in the first place,people usually stick with one hdd brand as long as it works fine for them. Of course performance wise too a 7200rmp 2TB hdd will be better than a 5400rpm hdd.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Then why did you even consider WD in the first place,people usually stick with one hdd brand as long as it works fine for them. Of course performance wise too a 7200rmp 2TB hdd will be better than a 5400rpm hdd.
Because of a Seagate expansion 2 tb that I bought about 5 ago ... It's not actually dead , it shows up , shows all files , but when I try to transfer a large file , or even run a movie , it keeps on seeking eternally ( blue blinking light) , and after some time the entire drive goes off the radar
... Actually I too was confused because everyone around was seemingly recommending wd , that kind of gave the impression that it's build quality was much superior to that of Seagate

ohh and 1 more thing , wd blue comes with a 3 yr warranty against seagte's 2 yrs

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^It all depends on your luck,some people swear by seagate & some swear by WD. From my experience I prefer seagate for desktop internal hdd & WD for external portable & laptop hdd. As for warranty I don't care much because if data is more important to you then hdd cost doesn't matter(aka warranty doesn't matter because that will not cover data loss) & if data is not that important to you then again warranty is not of much importance(almost all hdd have 2 years warranty by the end of which you can probably buy a bigger hdd or faster ssd for same amount).

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
also , how are ryzen - b450 combo's compatibility issues being handled . I heard that a 3000 mhz ram would run on 2666 mhz is not on qvl list of the mobo manufacturer , which itself is a :facepalm: . Also which mobo should i go with the prime or tomahawk ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
QVL list is more of a guideline & not some standard list of must buy ram models.Btw msi B450 boards seems to be overall better option.
r/Amd - MSI B450 Tomahawk Socket AM4 Motherboard Review + Linux Test
A comment from above thread links to this interesting video:

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Firstly , I am extremely sorry for the late post .... had to defer my purchase , meanwhile got a real sweet deal on 860 evo .... now finally the big three ... cpu , mb , ram ..... n a budget is now 35 k .... does the above recommendations hold ? looking to take the plunge in a week ....

Top Bottom