Need help with pc configuration

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
My 8 year old pc is officially in its last days ... so in desperate need of advice for upgrade

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: casual gaming , online gaming - at mid to high settings , movies , surfing all limited to 1080p

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 30-35,000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No , I prefer reliability above all , planning to use it for the next 7 years .

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 tb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No , I already have a 22" fhd monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:I just need the following
cpu
motherboard
ram
hdd/sshd/hdd + m.2 ( m.2 option can be deffered if it does not fit within budget .)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within coming 3 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler option preffered

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Will be buying from Kolkata , open to online options

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Planning to use it for the next 7 years , so reliability of components and ASS gets top most priority .

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Add PSU in the list as well if the one you have been using is also 8yrs old.

These two are common regardless of the options you pick
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Bronze rated ~450w PSU

Ryzen 2400G + Asus Prime B450M A + Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz 8GB DDR4 >>> ~35k | Powerful CPU, decent enough for casual gaming and multi tasking.
Pentium G5400 + Asus Prime B360M A + Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 8GB DDR4 + 1050Ti 4GB >>> ~38k | Much better GPU by sacrificing significant amount CPU power
Ryzen 1200 + Gigabyte B350M Gaming 3 + Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 8GB DDR4 + 1050Ti 4GB >>> ~ 39k | Balance of both

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
PSU , not needed would be reusing rm 750 , that is still under warranty ...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Would be reusing my current gpu as well ..

Last edited by a moderator:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
In that case,

These two are common
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD *

Ryzen 2600 + Asus Prime B450M A + Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz 8GB DDR4 ^ >>> ~39k
i5 8400 + Asus Prime B360M A + Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz 8GB DDR4 ^ >>> ~36k

* If you're tight on budget, you can skip this now and buy later
^ Price difference isn't much between 2666 vs 3000mhz, so get 3000mhz

Minion

Conversation Architect
i5 8400 + Asus Prime B360M A + Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz 8GB DDR4 ^ >>> ~36k

* If you're tight on budget, you can skip this now and buy later
^ Price difference isn't much between 2666 vs 3000mhz, so get 3000mhz

B360 doesn't support more than 2666Mhz

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Desktop Processor-13,000
ASROCK AB350 PRO4-7,300
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 8GB (1X8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHZ C16-6,700
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB-6,000
WESTERN DIGITAL DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 1TB BLUE (WD10EZEX)-2,800

Last edited:
OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Isn't 1600 a bit dated?? I was thinking more like 2600 & b450

Minion

Conversation Architect

Performance difference between 1600 and 2600 is not much also 1600 comes with better CPU cooler.

But if you want 2600 then
AMD RYZEN 5 2600 Desktop Processor-15,600
MSI B450M MORTAR-8,500

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Don't get me wrong , i was just asking ... Afaik the later the model the longer it receives support .... What are my options on the mb end .... How good is msi in terms of reliability ? Forgive my ignorance in these matters ....

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Ok , new update , was able to bring my current hdd back to life , abeit had to format my system drive (for some reason my c drive developed ntfs file system error).... But nontheless its up n running . So i wont be needing the hdd / hdd n ssd as of now . Maybe something at a later stage . This frees up some funds ... Does it change the skenario significantly ?? Or do the recomendations stand ?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Doesn't sound good. If your HDD is showing it's age, better use it as a secondary drive.
Configuration isn't going to change because of this reason. You can skip HDD for now, but get SSD instead for OS and other apps.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Ok before I finalise , ssd or m.2 , i have come to believe the later is more fast , what about mtf / longevity ? Is there any real life difference ? Is the price difference in case of 250 gb worth it ? & One noob question : what's nvme ?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Don't get me wrong , i was just asking ... Afaik the later the model the longer it receives support .... What are my options on the mb end .... How good is msi in terms of reliability ? Forgive my ignorance in these matters ....

Processor is not like GPU which requires constant updates.The reason why I suggest a Ryzen 1600 is it is 2k cheaper than 2600.
Yes,MSI mobo are good

Minion

Conversation Architect

AMD RYZEN 5 2600 Desktop Processor-15,600
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING MOTHERBOARD-11,000
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D40 DDR4 RGB 3000 8GB RAM-7,300
Kingston A400 120GB-2100

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Just a short question , why is no one suggesting barracuda hdd these days ? Have their quality dropped ?

I have made up a summary of all suggestions
1 A RYZEN 1600 13200
B RYZEN 2600 15640

2 A ASROCK AB350 PRO4 7300
B Asus Prime B450M A 8050
C MSI B450M MORTAR 8550
D ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING 11300

3 A CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 8GB (1X8GB)
DDR4 DRAM 3000MHZ C16 7000

4 A SEGATE BARRACUDA 1 TB 7200 2990
B WD BLUE 1 TB 7200 3040
C SEGATE BARRACUDA 2 TB 7200 4640
D WD BLUE 2 TB 7200 4650

of the mobos suggested excluding the first 2(a) , two are matx while the last is atx , whats the diffence other than size and the lighting gimmick ?
have to put off the ssd buy for now - the samsung 960/970 are still rare and overpriced.
Please help me in zeroing on the mobo

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
and what of the 8400 , its got the crown for the best vfm in the mid - range processor segment
Best Gaming CPUs

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel change its socket type almost every year so forget about getting a similar/decent quality replacement mobo after 3 years(standard mobo warranty) & definitely forget about any mobo lasting more than 4-5 years unless lucky.

matx or atx,what matters is that atx usually have better placements of slots & enough space between them to actually be able to use them.e.g.on most matx mobo it is not possible to use 1st pcie x1 slot directly beneath gfx card slot & 2nd pcie x1 slot may be too close to gfx card & may block airflow of gfx card fan(e.g.Asus prime b450m-a,1 pcie x1 slot blocked & other seems too close to gfx card fan). Another point to note is on many amd B350/450 mobo installing a NVMe ssd will disable 2 sata ports so read specifications on official product page to clarify.Seems like newer B450 mobo sacrifice a pcie slot instead of sata ports(like msi B450m mortar).

NVMe runs hotter than usual 2.5" sata ssd & because of that avoid any mobo which has NVMe slot directly beneath gfx card slot(again many mobos have this bad design). Also NVMe offers no significant improvement over a good ssd(like samsung 860 evo) unless your workload is server like with very high iops &/or you have 32gb(or more) ram with a fast processor(aka costing ~15k or above).

P.S. m2 ssd has 2 types: sata & NVMe. m2 sata ssd is basically just 2.5" sata ssd without the outer cover & its only advantage is no cables(sata & power). m2 NVMe ssd looks like m2 sata ssd but it uses pcie lanes on mobo & that is why it has better performance. m2 slot can be sata or NVMe or both.Usually it is both(if mobo has only 1 m2 port) but in mobos with 2 m2 ports one is both while other is only m2 sata port. Expensive mobos have 2 m2 ports supporting both m2 NVMe & m2 sata.

Last edited:
OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Intel change its socket type almost every year so forget about getting a similar/decent quality replacement mobo after 3 years(standard mobo warranty) & definitely forget about any mobo lasting more than 4-5 years unless lucky.
I had first hand experience with this senario when my gigabyte h55m-s2 went kaput after 3.5 years of usage and i could not find a replacement because the great Intel was in their 4th or 5th gen. circus then .
Atleast AMD has shown hope till 2020 . If they were to introduce a new lga in 2020 how long can am4 mobos be predicted to be available , based on historical patterns ?

NVMe runs hotter than usual 2.5" sata ssd & because of that avoid any mobo which has NVMe slot directly beneath gfx card slot(again many mobos have this bad design). Also NVMe offers no significant improvement over a good ssd(like samsung 860 evo) unless your workload is server like with very high iops &/or you have 32gb(or more) ram with a fast processor(aka costing ~15k or above).
Are you implying that there is no real world benefits of nvme over regular sata based ssd , in context of my use case senario ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your usage scenario only way I can see real world improvement of NVMe is when playing a game that involves loading a few GB map contained in a single file.NVme have much better sequential read write speeds after all(but only if you use a good NVMe like samsung 970 & not those cheap adata ones).

In kolkata one can always go to mdcomputers/vedantcomputers/overclockerszone in that order for buying pc components.

Top Bottom