Need help with motherboard, PSU and CPU cooler

darkv0id

Journeyman
Greetings!
So my friend wanted to build a new rig and he's zeroed down on the processor and the GPU.

Processor: i5 2500k
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC Edition

The PSU, cooler and motherboard remain points of contention. I hope you guys can help!

1. My friend plans to OC both the CPU and the GPU moderately, and possibly the RAM as well. Keeping this in mind which motherboard would get the job done? He doesn't need onboard graphics as such.

2. Is PCI 3.0 worth it, in terms of future proofing?

3. Also, Is the GS600 enough to handled the overclocks, or should he go with the Seasonic S12II 620w? Or the TX 650?

4. Will CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo work for moderate overclocking (say, 4.0-4.2 Ghz)? What would you recommend for CPU cooling?

Opinions?

EDIT: Budget for motherboard is ~10k and for PSU ~5k. Don't really know a lot about CPU cooling so give me your opinion based on the requirements above. Actually, the budget for motherboard and PSU aside, my friend essentially needs a motherboard and a PSU which will fulfill his OC requirements. Features like PCI 3.0, USB 3.0 and Bluetooth are non-esssentials.

Last edited:

CentaurDream

Broken In
Motherboard-
ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

It is a bit over your budget. But i think you can check it out.

PSU-
Seasonic S12II 620W

Cooler-
Hyper 212 Evo will be fine.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
Motherboard-
ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

It is a bit over your budget. But i think you can check it out.

Umm, it's like, WAY over budget.

Please guys, he doesn't want a mobo with all those bells and whistles. He just wants one which which fulfil his OC goals.

PLEASE read my original edited post and suggest accordingly.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^Asus P8Z77-V LX @ 10.8k.....It has Crossfirex support but lacks SLI support.The board is a very good one for overclocking.
CM hyper 212 evo is enough for moderate overclocking.
GS600 is more than enough for the config.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
^ Okay, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to dual wield, even in the future.So SLI or Crossfire support isn't required. I was looking at Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 and was wondering if it would suffice for overclocking. Your thoughts? It's comes cheap at flipkart (about 9.4k)

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^Can't say about that board.It should be ok.It is out of stock in flipkart.
ASRock Z77 Pro4@ 9k is also a good option.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
^^Can't say about that board.It should be ok.It is out of stock in flipkart.
ASRock Z77 Pro4@ 9k is also a good option.

Extreme 4 is better than pro4.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard(free shipping)

Alternatively..

ASUS P8Z77-M Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^Check this review Asrock z77 pro4.According to the review it overclocks quite well.
Moreover OP is looking for mild overclocking.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
So in conclusion it's between Asus P8Z77-V LX and Extreme4 for high-end OC. And the Pro4 for moderate OC.

Also, does everyone agree that GS600 will hold it's own while OCing both 2500k and HD 7850 (and RAM OCing as well) ?

Top Bottom