Need help with Home Network - File, Printer, AV share et all

anshulkwatra

Right off the assembly line
Dear ThinkDigit,
I need help in setting up a home network and following are my expectations with it
1.0 Expectations
1.1 Existing IPTV to work flawlessly (as it is now)
1.2 Share internet with all the devices (2 laptops, 1 desktops, 2 BBs, 1 iPod and guest machines)
1.3 Share AV and data within the network (Pictures, Movies - SD and HD, Music, Files and Documents)
1.4 Share the printer
2.0 Existing Resources/Setup
2.1 ISP provided and configured ADSL modem-wifi router (Binatone ADSL2+ DT845W - looks like BINATONE ADSL2+ HIG PERFOMANCE WIRELESS ROUTER MODEL NO-DT845W GOOD WORKING | eBay) - I have the passwords and manage this
2.2 Cat5 cable connecting the IPTV STB and Iomega IConnect
2.3 Iomega Iconnect (*go.iomega.com/en/products/network-...ion/network-hard-drive-iconnect/?partner=4750)
2.4 Scanner-cum-printer connected to Iomega Iconnect
2.5 Plenty of hard disks connected ti Iconnect
2.6 Laptops, desktops, BBs and iPod connected on wifi
3.0 About the house
3.1 This is multi-floor concrete house (very old construction, therefore the scope to wire up is lower)
3.2 Covered area would be around 2000 sqft per floor (2 1/2 floor)
3.3 Presently the wifi router is installed in the central location of the ground floor
3.4 Iconnect is installed in a SOHO location on the first floor
4.0 Present issues
4.1 Presently the wifi nearly drops off towards the periphery of the GF and is only present around the central location of FF. It is nearly not present in the SOHO
4.2 In the present setup file sharing etc on the network does not work as can get upto 5 mbps while writting to a network location (tested using the Lan Speed Test) and read speed is ZERO
4.3 Cant seem to be able to get the video files sitting in the HD connected to IConnect played on a network connected laptop
4.4 Router sometime just fails to let new computers join the network or even existing computer surf if they do not have an active connection
5.0 Ideas
5.1 Option 1: Add a wifi router to FF location before the iconnect and use as a repeater to ISP router
5.2 Option 2: Add a wifi router to FF location before the iconnect, use that as a primary DHCP and wifi with GF (ISP provided modem-router) as a repeater for wifi and DHCP (i dont think I know how to do this)
5.3 Option 3: Add a range extender on FF
5.4 Suggested options

I need help to be solve the challenge (definitely there would be multiple answers to this)
Thanks in advance
Anshul

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
thats a lot of things to cover :) .. will take some time to reply for each points..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Option 1 is better IMO. A good enough router will handle all your tasks like Linksys X3000 or EA4500 (DLNA certified).

PS: Your home will be a fully techno-home :))

OP
A

anshulkwatra

Right off the assembly line
I have experimented in the direction mentioned. I have installed an entry level 300MbpsN router from TP-Link (*www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-w...RD7HN3JJYF6WN2) on one the floors. Havent been able to spend much time with the set up or testing (will do probably this weekend) but early testing I did, I was able to stream SD movies. With LAN Speed Test (*www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html), it tested 20 mbps each side for data transfer when checked from my laptop at the other end of the house.

Thanks for the guidance and this really helped. I hope with more knowledge and experience around the network, I should be able to optimise and stabilise the network.

Thanks in advance.
Anshul Kwatra

Top Bottom