Need Help Understanding Flight Booking System

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I never traveled via Flight and I'm having a hard time understanding few procedures.

To start with, the simplest thing, booking a flight. When I'm searching on *book.goindigo.in/, I'm being offered two columns of fare - Regular Fare and Return Fare. But the catch is the site is divided into two parts Deperture and Return Journey. So on both the part they are showing Regular Fare and Return Fare.

If you check the image below, the upper section shows fare for Onward Journey which is again divided into Regular and Return Fare. So I think the fare on Return Fare column is the fare I'll have to pay for both Onward and Return flight.

But then again I'm getting confused, as the below section shows flights for Return Journey which is again showing both the fare.

Can anyone experienced travelling in flight explain the thing?

*i.imgur.com/ilhGNjj.jpg

Once this is cleared, I'll go for next one :p

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AFAIK they are giving discount when you choose that flight for return journey. return price is less than regular price.
this doesn't mean you pay return price for both flights. just that you get discount on selecting flights. this column will not show when you select one way from top.

- - - Updated - - -

you select that sale price. but check irctc air if any other company is giving more discount.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
AFAIK they are giving discount when you choose that flight for return journey. return price is less than regular price.
this doesn't mean you pay return price for both flights. just that you get discount on selecting flights. this column will not show when you select one way from top.

Well your words are confusing. Do you mean if I select Return price on both the section (Upper and Below), I'll pay only one?

1. Means, if I select 3914/- on 3rd row Return Fare column, that's the fare for both onward and return journey?

2. If yes, then why they are even showing the Return fare column on below section.

3. Again, does that mean if I select 3780/- on return fare column of 1st row on below section, I'm booking a flight of Guwahati to Kolkata and return to Guwahati? Because the below section is showing Guwahati to Kolkata.

you select that sale price. but check irctc air if any other company is giving more discount.

Well IRCTC is showing higher price than what's showing in Indigo.

I have another question, the SALE price that is being shown, is staying there upto 3 passengers. I need to book 6 passengers, but when I search for 6 Passengers the fare is rising. Can anyone explain why?

Does that mean, SALE price is only applicable to limited passenger per A/c? So in that case I have to create another A/c?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
select one way instead of round trip from top. it will give you a message - IndiGo Offers attractive RoundTrip fares on select sectors with lower fares. You can avail them by choosing the RoundTrip option on the Search menu.
return fare column will disappear.
AFAIK this means basically you are getting discount over regular fare on the same flight if you choose round trip. this discount column is return fare.

example - if you choose flight 321 for departure and 624 for return for 2 adults, you should select 3914 + 3780 as fare instead of 4164 + 4030. this is giving you discount for choosing same company for return flight.

for price increase i found the reason -
Airfare Expert: Save big by shopping for one passenger at a time
Shop for Tickets One at a Time to Save on Airfare - FareCompare

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
select one way instead of round trip from top. it will give you a message - IndiGo Offers attractive RoundTrip fares on select sectors with lower fares. You can avail them by choosing the RoundTrip option on the Search menu.
return fare column will disappear.
AFAIK this means basically you are getting discount over regular fare on the same flight if you choose round trip. this discount column is return fare.

example - if you choose flight 321 for departure and 624 for return for 2 adults, you should select 3914 + 3780 as fare instead of 4164 + 4030. this is giving you discount for choosing same company for return flight.

for price increase i found the reason -
Airfare Expert: Save big by shopping for one passenger at a time
Shop for Tickets One at a Time to Save on Airfare - FareCompare

Ahh thanks :) This makes it clear :)

Thanks a lot :D

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
There are two facts about flight tickets
1) The more no of people the less is the per head cost
2) Return ticket is cheaper than one way ticket.

Top Bottom