Need help to set up a new LED

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys

I have been using a CRT monitor with my PC since I bought my PC 8 years ago. It got damaged so I bought a Samsung LED monitor S19C170B. Now I have two questions, its bright colours and weird screen is banging my head. What should be the optimum brightness, contrast and sharpness settings? Another thing is that the movies that I downloaded were crystal clear on the CRT but on the LED they look like its pixels are broken and the crystal clarity is gone. So, what should I do?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.I am using Windows XP, the whole screen looks like it has been stretched forcefully to fit the size of the LED.

What should be the optimum brightness, contrast and sharpness settings?

That's a subjective question. Some people like it bright and some dim (like me). Play with monitor settings and find what suits you. If your eyes start to strain then decrease the brightness and slightly increase contrast.

Another thing is that the movies that I downloaded were crystal clear on the CRT but on the LED they look like its pixels are broken and the crystal clarity is gone. So, what should I do?

That's beacuse the movies you have are probably in a pretty low resolution. next time download movies in higher resolution, at least in 720p.

P.S.I am using Windows XP, the whole screen looks like it has been stretched forcefully to fit the size of the LED.

That's because you don;t have graphics drivers installed or didn't set the correct resolution. Set the resolution to the maximum available (should be 1600x900).

And why re you running Windows XP? Upgrade man, upgrade. It's an ancient os filled with vulnerabilities.

itsakjt

Broken In
Hi Guys

I have been using a CRT monitor with my PC since I bought my PC 8 years ago. It got damaged so I bought a Samsung LED monitor S19C170B. Now I have two questions, its bright colours and weird screen is banging my head. What should be the optimum brightness, contrast and sharpness settings? Another thing is that the movies that I downloaded were crystal clear on the CRT but on the LED they look like its pixels are broken and the crystal clarity is gone. So, what should I do?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from what [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] said, I checked the spec of your monitor and it seems it has got very narrow viewing angles(H 90 degree and V 65 degree) and a poor static contrast ratio. I know how it feels to move from a wonderful CRT with great color accuracy to a bad LCD(I have been in the same train but moved from a LG 1943S to a LG E2042TC) the latter of which had horrible viewing angles. The website stated 170/160 degree viewing angle but in reality, it was just like the one you got and trust me it was horrible no matter what settings I gave. The black levels were really bad and no person other than me could see dark scenes in movies. Later I got a refund from LG and got the Dell S2240M with 178/178 degree viewing angle(IPS).

Apart from what @harshilsharma63 said, I checked the spec of your monitor and it seems it has got very narrow viewing angles(H 90 degree and V 65 degree) and a poor static contrast ratio. I know how it feels to move from a wonderful CRT with great color accuracy to a bad LCD(I have been in the same train but moved from a LG 1943S to a LG E2042TC) the latter of which had horrible viewing angles. The website stated 170/160 degree viewing angle but in reality, it was just like the one you got and trust me it was horrible no matter what settings I gave. The black levels were really bad and no person other than me could see dark scenes in movies. Later I got a refund from LG and got the Dell S2240M with 178/178 degree viewing angle(IPS).

How did you do that?

itsakjt

Broken In
How did you do that?

Actually, before I bought it(LG E2042TC), I checked the spec on LG website and it clearly stated 170/160 degree viewing angle. But to my shock, it was not practically valid. I even got to the extent of opening the secret service menu of the monitor(menu + power during power on) and checked the LCD panel model name. I immediately searched for it in panelook website and found the truth: viewing angle 90/65 degree which it really was. After calling LG support over and over again, finally after 5 months, a different personnel came and then called me that you can take a refund or take a same replacement model. I asked that how much I would get as refund. They said full refund. And then after some formalities, they gave it and a few days later, I got a Dell S2240M full HD IPS monitor with 178/178 degree viewing angle.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION]
Brother this is the thing. I am not able to find an optimum color settings for my eyes. I too like low colors, so when I reduce brightness I have no idea as to how much extent contrast and sharpness be increased or decreased. So, any help on this as it is causing too much problem.

The movies I downloaded are in 1080p format. Someone told me that it has got something to do with the codec settings. As I got a wider screen now, so I should change the codec video settings accordingly.

The maximum screen resolution in my computer is 1366*768 Anyways it is the highest resolution available
[MENTION=280353]itsakjt[/MENTION]
So no help for me?

itsakjt

Broken In
Reduce the brightness such that it suits your eyes, set the color temperature to cool. And adjust the contrast using this webpage:
Contrast - Lagom LCD test

Notice that for each color, there are 32 bands. Adjust the contrast and any color settings it might have, such that all the 32 bands of each color is distinguishable. That way, I think it will yield a better picture. On the hardware side, if you can afford some more money, talk with Samsung customer care regarding disappointment with your newly bought product and request them to replace it with one having good viewing angles. If the monitor is not even 7 days old, take it to the shop from which you bought it and return it. Take a better model. Make sure that the monitor has at least a viewing angle of 160/160 degrees. More is better. The rest will all be good as per monitor technology is concerned now-a-days. All the best and let us know if you need any help. ;)

As you have a full hd monitor so the max resolution should be 1920x1080. If its not available that means you don't have the graphics drivers installed. Install them and update other drivers too.

itsakjt

Broken In
As you have a full hd monitor so the max resolution should be 1920x1080. If its not available that means you don't have the graphics drivers installed. Install them and update other drivers too.

No man that was me. :p I got a refund against a LG monitor not matching its specs and got a Dell S2240M. I just shared my exp.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Guys

Thanks

I keep the brightness to the minimum or around 10%. Else my eyes get hurt.

Contrast choose whatever suits you.

Top Bottom