need help to build data server

ankush28

Bazinga
[SOLVED]need help to build data server

So I don't know whether this sub-forum is appropriate or not, Mods please move this to more *appropriate* forum.
Standard q&a doesn't apply to this thread IMO. So coming straight to point!
>I need to build a data server...1TB capacity is enough.
>It should be powerfull enough so that up to 25 peoples can work at the same time.
>budget is not a big issue (still keep it below 100k)
>Should I go for pre configured NAS / Servers? Which operating system is good ? Windows server or linux?

Server will be used mainly for hosting 3D files of Solid Edge (Windows cad program by Siemens), some excel and word docs.

PS- Currently we are using "folder sharing" from computer running win7 progressional, i7-3770, 16GB of ram and WD red hard disk. Still it sucks while loading files.

If you guys have any other suggestions then please mention.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

74 views, No reply?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win7 pro is not a server OS so sort that out first. As server os linux is more preferable but you should have a little experience with that. I guess all of the pcs are on 1gbps network and there's enough lan cards on the server machine. If possible use ssds in RAID 0 config for maximize the i/o performance. And increase ram to 32GB.

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
thanks for advice... but IT support in my office rarely know wth is linux :p Is there any easy to use server os? with GUI?

I know win7 is already out...its just kinda temporary solution. What about pre-built servers/NAS? Do you recommend any?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The biggest advantage pre configured NAS / Servers offers is they comes with hot swapable HDD bays and offers a bunch of other useful features but if if you can live without them then 3 - 4 SSDs in RAID 0 should do the trick. Do keep in mind that you will need to have a backup plan as RAID 0 offers absolutely no redundancy.

As a sever OS you can just use any linux distro ... the main thing you should look for is how to configure samba on it but it's very easy though. The two distros I would recommend is :
SME Server
FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project

If you want windows then try to get windows home server.

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
Thanks Topgear... I might have to end with pre-configured servers because higher authorities are against the use of anything like "assembled PC" or "assembled server" :oops:

Close the thread

Top Bottom