Need help regarding upgrading RAM - Acer aspire 6930

Tejo

Broken In
I'm using Acer Aspire 6930. i want to upgrade its RAM. presently it has 2Gb DDR2 RAM. There are two slots. One is used and the other is free. If I put one more 2Gb RAM, is it worth? Does system performance improve?

If so, I'm confused with which one to use. Below are the specs.

CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5800
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5800
Code Name Merom
Package Socket P (478)
Technology 65nm
Specification Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model F
Extended Model F
Stepping D
Revision M0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64
Virtualization Not supported
Hyperthreading Not supported
Bus Speed 199.2 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 796.9 MHz
Stock Core Speed 2000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Average Temperature 56 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 2048 KBytes
Core 0
Core 1

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 1
Free memory slots 1
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 332.5 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 51 %
Total Physical 1.87 GB
Available Physical 935 MB
Total Virtual 2.56 GB
Available Virtual 1.42 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 1
Slot #1
Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Micron Technology
Max Bandwidth PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
Part Number 16HTF25664HY-667E1
Serial Number E71E0A82
Week/year 37 / 08
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #3
JEDEC #2
JEDEC #1

in the above specs, it shows 333MHz. In the manual, it is written upgradable to DDR2 667MHz. So does it mean I can't use 800MHz RAM?

here is a flipkart link in which I found one. check this link and could you please confirm whether this is suitable or not...
Code:
*www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr2-667-pc2-5300-ddr2-2-gb-laptop-ram-jm667qsu-2g/p/itmd2ryppb5qwzcd?pid=RAMD2RYP47MYZZ98

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, the ram can be used. However, the timing of the chosen ram is little different than the existing one which might create some inconsistency in the system.

OP
Tejo

Tejo

Broken In
Ya, the ram can be used. However, the timing of the chosen ram is little different than the existing one which might create some inconsistency in the system.

oh no....bro what is this timing...? does it mean now i have no choice to upgrade?

Cilus

laborare est orare
It means the Cache Latency which is 5-5-5-15 in your case and the Ram you have shortlisted is a 3-4-5-15 Ram. But sometimes Flipkart provides wrong info. Better go to the Transcend site and check the Cache Latency.

OP
Tejo

Tejo

Broken In
It means the Cache Latency which is 5-5-5-15 in your case and the Ram you have shortlisted is a 3-4-5-15 Ram. But sometimes Flipkart provides wrong info. Better go to the Transcend site and check the Cache Latency.

bro accrording to flipkart, its the same 3-4-5-15 latency. I searched in many sites, but most of them are the same 3-4-5-15 but unable to find the 5-5-5-15. So if I don't get that 5-5-5-15, does it mean I have no chance for upgrade now?

Cilus

laborare est orare
For being in safer side, get the 2GB Ram and use it for couple of days with your existing Ram. If no problem occurs then no problem. If there is any inconsistency issues, then you can get another 2GB new Ram and exchange the existing old DDR2 ram of yours.

OP
Tejo

Tejo

Broken In
For being in safer side, get the 2GB Ram and use it for couple of days with your existing Ram. If no problem occurs then no problem. If there is any inconsistency issues, then you can get another 2GB new Ram and exchange the existing old DDR2 ram of yours.

oh...that means, if both RAMS are of same cache latency, i.e. 3-4-5-15, then no problem right?

Cilus

laborare est orare
ya, but only if your current and the new one create problem while being used simultaneously. 1st give it a try before replacing the existing one.

Top Bottom