Need help in upgrading my PC

RAMA PRASAD

Broken In
Friends. Its been a while, i have visited the forum. This is the best place for me when i need a real suggestion.*

Coming to the request, I have purchased my PC in Jan 2011. My signature is the config.
Now, I want a good suggestion of what all should I minimum upgrade in my PC to make it directX 12 games compatible and some photoshop and some java programing.
I dont want to overclock.*
Should I prefer an SSD for OS?
Pls suggest a reasonable upgrade in mid range.
I am not able to decide a fixed budget. I can spend as long as the upgrade is reasonable. Thank you.

OP
RAMA PRASAD

RAMA PRASAD

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Playing high quality latest games atleast at mid settings

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Budget is not fixed as i dont know if the psu and graphics card will stay or not in new config. The new config should be in mid to lower mid range like my original config.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 10. Or shall i stick to win 7?

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have 1 TB. Shall I include SSD?

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. Monitor should be of around 21 inch. Coming to res, 1950*1080 is ok. As the monitor is small,more higher res is a waste i think. Is it worth considering 3d monitor at this time or shall i wait some years for the tech to evolve?

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: As mentioned in my signature, I have all components of PC working fine except little stuck ups here and there rarely while playing AC or Batman etc. So I request you all to suggest the necessary components to be changed to make it smooth and directx 12 proof.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In two months.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Have some experience before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Comfortable with both local and online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The upgrade should be reasonable and not unnecessarily expensive.
Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

My present Config:
Processor - Phenom X4 955BE
MoBo - Gigabyte GA 880GM UD2H
Graphics - Asus ehs6850
HDD - Seagate 1TB 7200.12
Ram - Corsair ddr3 1333 2x2gb
Cabin - Cooler Master 430
PSU - Corsair vx450
Monitor - Samsung 22" 1680x1050
KB Combo - logitech mk320

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 50k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i5 446013,000
MotherboardGigabyte B85M-D3H-A5,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz3,300
Graphics CardAsus Strix GTX 960 2GB DDR515,000
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 120GB4,500
Optical DriveAsus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W1,000
MonitorDell S2216H 22" LED IPS8,300
Total50,600

Re-Use your present HDD, Cabinet, PSU and KB Combo.
Your Corsair VX450 is more than enough for GTX960 GPU.

OP
RAMA PRASAD

RAMA PRASAD

Broken In
Thank you Sunil for the config but it is really high. I spent nearly 50k for my PC but i think the update could be a cheaper than the actual cost of PC itself.
But I am feeling whatever you have suggested is perfectly future proof. Even then, due to the above mentioned opinion of mine, is there even a more cheaper option?
If there is no other go, then I ll try to accommodate that config within my budget.

satinder

DELHIITE
Thank you Sunil for the config but it is really high. I spent nearly 50k for my PC but i think the update could be a cheaper than the actual cost of PC itself.
But I am feeling whatever you have suggested is perfectly future proof. Even then, due to the above mentioned opinion of mine, is there even a more cheaper option?
If there is no other go, then I ll try to accommodate that config within my budget.
Mostly after 3-4 years we are stuck in old configurations.

Change or add on hdd to SSD 256GB Samsung on ebay. These are pulled out ones at 4k.

SSD makes the speed. You will see the difference. OS & Photoshop will run smoothly with SSD change.

If Motherboard is creating problem, You will have choice of chinese make always.You can opt for dual RAM type Motherboards at more cost.

I will simply say to stay with old processor for the time.
When you have the extra money, only then switch to new configuration for next level.

This upgradation seems zero to me. It is better to buy new cabinet and go for complete system change.

Keep old one for other jobs.

This is my opinion with years of experience.

Last edited:
OP
RAMA PRASAD

RAMA PRASAD

Broken In
Hmmm. Thank you Satinder. What you have said makes sense considering the fact that the upgrade is so expensive. I think of giving my pc some more time till it actually deserves a true upgrade.
The thing is since few months my mobo is giving ram issues like no display or 4 beeps. I have to remove the ram clean and refit. I also noticed that since sometime, only two of the 4 ram slots are working and that too after a couple of refits.
Rarely the graphics card requires a remove and refit thing.
And the hdmi slot of my mobo doesnt even send a signal to the monitor (when the graphics card troubles me).
And the occasional very small stucks ups while playing.
All these made me emotionally consider for an upgrade.
But let me bare this for some more time.

Can anyone suggest me a blower for cleaning my PC. I think half problems will be solved with a thorough cleaning of PC. I never touched the processor since Jan 2011. So refitting it with some heatsink paste will also work, what i feel. Any suggestions?

isaac12345

Journeyman
Hmmm. Thank you Satinder. What you have said makes sense considering the fact that the upgrade is so expensive. I think of giving my pc some more time till it actually deserves a true upgrade.
The thing is since few months my mobo is giving ram issues like no display or 4 beeps. I have to remove the ram clean and refit. I also noticed that since sometime, only two of the 4 ram slots are working and that too after a couple of refits.
Rarely the graphics card requires a remove and refit thing.
And the hdmi slot of my mobo doesnt even send a signal to the monitor (when the graphics card troubles me).
And the occasional very small stucks ups while playing.
All these made me emotionally consider for an upgrade.
But let me bare this for some more time.

Can anyone suggest me a blower for cleaning my PC. I think half problems will be solved with a thorough cleaning of PC. I never touched the processor since Jan 2011. So refitting it with some heatsink paste will also work, what i feel. Any suggestions?

Considering how polluted Indian cities are, it would do you well to clean it properly. Buy a can of pressurised air from a local computer repair shop or online and clean all components. If you dont know how to, take it to a shop. It could be that your system's getting overheated and that causes stuttering. You can check your temperatures with CoreTemp or HWmonitor.

Top Bottom