Need help! HP dv6 6165tx / 6770m users

ParaXite

Power User
Hey guys!

I notice really some micro stuttering in games while moving/scrolling. My framerate in games like LoL is a steady 60 with vsync (or with 3rd party frame limiters like RTSS etc.) but scrolling is jerky. Games like Diablo 3 are unplayable due to the jerkiness even though the frame rate is steady (Not an internet problem, I ruled it out). This happens whether my GPU is overclocked or not. This happens more if Vsync is disabled. If a game is running at between 30-60 fps I have to lock it at 30 fps for it to run a little smoother but its still not smooth as it was when I bought the laptop.

Current Situation:
6770m stock clock
Leshcat 14.4 v2.1 Drivers
Fixed mode
Recently re-installed windows (Problem started about 3 re-installs ago)

I have this problem with the stock drivers, Leshcat 14.4 v2.1 drivers and many other older Leshcat drivers. I don't know whether this is a hardware or software issue. I re-installed windows many times yet the problem still exists.

If its a hardware problem there is nothing much I can do. If you've faced a similar issue please do help me. If its a driver problem, I can try installing different older drivers to see which one works. So please tell me which stable driver (Stock or 3rd party) you are using so I can try to fix this issue. I will now try to install Leshcat 12.10 and check if its working properly.

What are the temperatures ?
Stuttering usually occurs when temperatures are high and from the info given, driver problems can be easily ruled out.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
What are the temperatures ?
Stuttering usually occurs when temperatures are high and from the info given, driver problems can be easily ruled out.

Temperature of GPU hits about 88C and CPU hits about 94C on full load after few hours of Dota 2. It was like this from the time I bought the laptop but I did not face any stuttering issues back then. Either its a driver issue or I've fried my GPU because I overclock it (stable, tested) many times while playing.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Temperature of GPU hits about 88C and CPU hits about 94C on full load after few hours of Dota 2. It was like this from the time I bought the laptop but I did not face any stuttering issues back then. Either its a driver issue or I've fried my GPU because I overclock it (stable, tested) many times while playing.

Those temps are pretty high! Why don't you repaste using ICD?

The T-Junction/Thermal threshold temperature for your CPU is 100C. 94C is what you have observed, I mean, there might be many instances of CPU crossing that temperature. If those temperatures were from start, you have some defect in unit. (I do own a DV6 with 6490M, and temperatures never exceed 60C for both CPU and GPU, provided that cooling system is same for i5 and i7 models, but TDP is around 40% less than your model).

You cannot "fry" a gpu. Ideally(like 99% of cases), if there is a temperature dependent fault in GPU, the system will power down or crash itself when stressed, and will not stutter. On the other hand, CPU on high loads may cause performance degradation, and will continue to work until it practically starts to melt, unless, of-course the hardware manufacturer have fail-safes/contingency plans for that scenario.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The T-Junction/Thermal threshold temperature for your CPU is 100C. 94C is what you have observed, I mean, there might be many instances of CPU crossing that temperature. If those temperatures were from start, you have some defect in unit. (I do own a DV6 with 6490M, and temperatures never exceed 60C for both CPU and GPU, provided that cooling system is same for i5 and i7 models, but TDP is around 40% less than your model).

You cannot "fry" a gpu. Ideally(like 99% of cases), if there is a temperature dependent fault in GPU, the system will power down or crash itself when stressed, and will not stutter. On the other hand, CPU on high loads may cause performance degradation, and will continue to work until it practically starts to melt, unless, of-course the hardware manufacturer have fail-safes/contingency plans for that scenario.

Yep, the laptop would thermal shutdown when it overheats.
Though there have been cases of mobo getting set on fire on AW 18s.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Well, I used HWMonitor to check temperatures. I left it on throughout my 2 hour gaming session and it never went above 94C for CPU and 88C for GPU. I don't know why my laptop is behaving like this so I figured it might be a software issue with the drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Those temps are pretty high! Why don't you repaste using ICD?

My laptop has always hits those temperature while gaming even when it was new.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Well, I used HWMonitor to check temperatures. I left it on throughout my 2 hour gaming session and it never went above 94C for CPU and 88C for GPU. I don't know why my laptop is behaving like this so I figured it might be a software issue with the drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

My laptop has always hits those temperature while gaming even when it was new.

I had similiar issues with my laptop
I got a new heatsink (custom one actually) and a new fan for my inspiron turbo
If its out of warranty,open up the laptop carefully(check youtube for your laptop model's repair guides such as ifixit etc)
then after removing components,use a vacuum cleaner or air can to get rid of dust from the vents of the laptop casing
then clean the mobo etc and change thermal paste and clean the heatsink carefully as well
re assemble properly and you should be back to normal temperatures
if possible,its best to change the heatsink and fan altogether ,if its dell,custom ones are available in the market otherwise stock heatsink is also fine

I had a 9000rpm fan earlier,now have a 12000rpm one which was made for another dell laptop and is the same dimensions etc,my laptop doesnt cross 65-70c anymore while gaming

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
I had similiar issues with my laptop
I got a new heatsink (custom one actually) and a new fan for my inspiron turbo
If its out of warranty,open up the laptop carefully(check youtube for your laptop model's repair guides such as ifixit etc)
then after removing components,use a vacuum cleaner or air can to get rid of dust from the vents of the laptop casing
then clean the mobo etc and change thermal paste and clean the heatsink carefully as well
re assemble properly and you should be back to normal temperatures
if possible,its best to change the heatsink and fan altogether ,if its dell,custom ones are available in the market otherwise stock heatsink is also fine

I had a 9000rpm fan earlier,now have a 12000rpm one which was made for another dell laptop and is the same dimensions etc,my laptop doesnt cross 65-70c anymore while gaming

I know its been a long time since I cleaned up my laptop but I had these temperatures before also and I didn't have this stuttering issue. I will get it cleaned this weekend but I'm not sure if such stuttering can occur because of dust. The frame rate in games is good and stable but there is noticeable stuttering.

Did you have such minor stuttering issues because of dust?

Also, if you guys have the 6770m please tell me what drivers you are using. I'm currently on 12.10 Leshcat but the issue is still there.

Last edited:
I know its been a long time since I cleaned up my laptop but I had these temperatures before also and I didn't have this stuttering issue. I will get it cleaned this weekend but I'm not sure if such stuttering can occur because of dust. The frame rate in games is good and stable but there is noticeable stuttering.

Also, if you guys have the 6770m please tell me what drivers you are using. I'm currently on 12.10 Leshcat but the issue is still there.

Hmm...why do you need Leshcat drivers ? I mean, if I can recall correctly; AMD is releasing "free for all 5/6+ series" drivers with native support for GPU switching.
Anyways, the argument that the laptop was running fine is little strange, since we know that temperatures above 90C are bad....very bad. I do understand that it was running fine regardless of the temperature, but in the due #slow# process, it was damaging the silicon. It can be a case of simple defective unit. You should post your problem or search for it in the dedicated series thread in this section for further help.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

yeah im on Leshcat 14.4 myself
the stuttering etc is due to throttling due to high temperatures caused by dust
my laptop is a gaming monster again once I changed thermal paste,heatsink etc
try cleaning it out,im sure itll help

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm...why do you need Leshcat drivers ? I mean, if I can recall correctly; AMD is releasing "free for all 5/6+ series" drivers with native support for GPU switching.
Anyways, the argument that the laptop was running fine is little strange, since we know that temperatures above 90C are bad....very bad. I do understand that it was running fine regardless of the temperature, but in the due #slow# process, it was damaging the silicon. It can be a case of simple defective unit. You should post your problem or search for it in the dedicated series thread in this section for further help.

Leshcat drivers are better optimised actually
with amd and dell drivers I had poor performance and overheating

Prongs298

In the zone
follow -

1. If you can, get coolsense back and set it to performance optimized mode. use HP recovery manager.

2. use throttle stop - Download ThrottleStop 6.00 | techPowerUp

The ThrottleStop Guide | NotebookReview

3. use these drivers - *www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbook...v6-6165tx-thread-post2191766.html#post2191766

4. use msi afterburner to set clocks with powerplay disabled.

Top Bottom