need help for defraging and scandisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreyadr

Journeyman
my system win 98 SE has stopped defragmentation and even scandisk progms. it starts, runs for few seconds and then gives some error message. but doesn't give any solution to fix it. please help me out.

swatkat

Technomancer
What error message does it give?
Antway try this, close ALL the running programs (also programs in System Tray like AntiVirus, Firewall etc), and then run ScanDisk and Defragmenter.
If the above method does not help, run them in SAFE mode.

OP
shreyadr

shreyadr

Journeyman
swatkat said:
What error message does it give?
Antway try this, close ALL the running programs (also programs in System Tray like AntiVirus, Firewall etc), and then run ScanDisk and Defragmenter.
If the above method does not help, run them in SAFE mode.

thanx for ur help.

i disabled all the running progs. in sys tray & tried for scandisk and it worked. however, defraging is still giving a problem. it gives message as 'drive contains error' . still try the same in safe mode.

is there any other software for such thing, or any online help ?

tuxfan

Technomancer
There is norton speed disk for defragmenting the drive. I had tried it earlier on my drive. But it created more problems and messed it up. So stay away from it. I would suggest you use the inbuilt windows defrag utility only.

Have you done the THOROUGH scandisk? If no, then do that and then once again try defrag. It should work.

swatkat

Technomancer
Yes, open ScanDisk and run it in "Through" mode, this checks for Disk surface errors, and also this scan takes a LOT of time, but you have to do it inorder to map/mask all the bad sectors once.
Then you can perform DiskDefragmenter.

aadipa

Padawan
1. Boot into DOS mode
2. Run scandisk with surface scan to correct bad sector and cross link problems
3. Boot into Windows and run scandisk again to correct long file name problems if any
4. Close all running programs like firewall, antivirus and screen saver
5. Now Try to defrag.

If possible try to use PerfectDisk or Diskeeper to defrag ur disk. Else even inbuilt windows defrag will also to fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom