Need help buying a gpu at around 20k

the_potato

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys, need help in getting a gpu for a pc Im putting together. I want the pc to be sorta future resistant so that I get to play games up until a year from now. I know that that games like the Witcher 3 are very demanding and I aim to play it at a decent fps with the gpu. I also wish to know more about the prices and pros cons of the gtx 960, gtx 970, r9 380, r9 390. I was also wondering which would be the best gpu if I decide to wait now and purchase the card three months max from now so that a decent gpu comes under my budget. Thanks in advance.

. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Playing games like GTA V in ultra and Witcher 3 in moderate to high settings in 1080p

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 20k extendable to 22k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Naah

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1/ Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: N/A

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: N/A

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Anything other than the gpu

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: About a week from now. Maybe even 3 months if thr price of better gpus come down.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Calcutta, India. I want to get goods at the lowest possible price.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Also a bit more info about the r9 390, r9 370 , r9 380 and gtx 970 and gtx 960 and if their prices are gonna come down after a wait.

OP
T

the_potato

Thanks a lot. I wanted to buy the gtx 970 but the online prices seemed exhorbitant.

Btw. Can you shed light on the price of r9 390 and whether buying it would be a good idea or not. Any chances of prices being likely to drop to my comfort zone after 2-3 months?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks a lot. I wanted to buy the gtx 970 but the online prices seemed exhorbitant.

Btw. Can you shed light on the price of r9 390 and whether buying it would be a good idea or not. Any chances of prices being likely to drop to my comfort zone after 2-3 months?

2-3 months is a very long time buddy so either go with GTX960 or 970.

bikramjitkar

In the zone

Wait if you can. R9 390 is slightly faster than GTX 970 and is more future proof due to 8gb VRAM. I know someone will say that it's not powerful enough to use all that memory, but games are starting to use as much vram as possible. Just crank up the settings in GTA 5 and see for yourself. Plus, in multi-GPU setups, only a single card's memory is counted so 2x970 in SLI will only give you 3.5 gb of VRAM while 2x390 will give you 8gb. Also, 390 is a new card so it will only get faster with driver updates.

OP
T

the_potato

Wait if you can. R9 390 is slightly faster than GTX 970 and is more future proof due to 8gb VRAM. I know someone will say that it's not powerful enough to use all that memory. but games are starting to use as much vram as possible. Just crank up the settings in GTA 5 and see for yourself. Plus, in multi-GPU setups, only a single card's memory is counted so 2x970 in SLI will only give you 3.5 gb of VRAM while 2x390 will give you 8gb.

Thanks for the help man. Can you tell me what is the lowest street price of the r9 390 as of now? And what can I expect the price to be in like October/ November ?

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Thanks for the help man. Can you tell me what is the lowest street price of the r9 390 as of now? And what can I expect the price to be in like October/ November ?

Don't know about pricing man. Current prices online are way too high for both cards but AMD does tend to cut prices more often than Nvidia.

Top Bottom