Need help assembling a 50K Hackintosh for Editing Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

racdoy

Right off the assembly line
Hi everyone,
My Mac recently died. I was told that it would cost 26500 to replace the logic board. I felt it was too much to spend on a repair. So I decided to assemble a new PC and forgo the mac for now.

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Primarily for Photo Editing & some Video Editing
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes, as long as they are Intel/Nvidia (for Mac OS Compatibility)
3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 50,000
4. Planning to overclock?
A: No
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Mac OS X 10.6
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1TB
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: 1680 X 1050, 22"
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10?
A: 7
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: No
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: ASAP
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: No. Just want a powerful enough reliable computer that will get me going for the next 2-3 years at least.
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse & Speakers. I already have them

Based on what I learnt on this forum, the internet & my computing needs I've come up with the following:

Processor: Intel i5-760
Motherboard: Want to go with Gigabyte but undecided between GA-P55-USB3, GA-P55A-UD3 & GA-P55A-UD3R. The former has USB3 compatibility and the latter two have additional SATA 6GB/s support.
RAM: 2 2x2GB DDR3-1600 cards from Corsair or G.Skill Ripjaws
GPU: GE Force GT 240, 9800 GT or GTS 250. Not sure which one to choose and whether to go for 512 MB or 1GB. Photoshop and other editing software dont seem to leverage much from it (for now) but might do so in the future. So I want to be somewhere in the middle to be safe.
Hard Drive: 1TB WD Caviar Black &/ 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7000.12
DVD Drive: One from LG or Sony
PSU: Corsair 450 VX
Cabinet: Antec three hundred
UPS: I've a APC RS 550 but not sure if that will be sufficient for my monitor & the above set up...do I need to go with a higher end one like APC 650VA?
CPU Cooler: I wont be OC'ing. Do I need one? If I do, then I was thinking about the cooler Master 212 plus.

Please let me know what you think of this set up. Also, could you please make some suggestions reg the components that I'vent made up my mind on, especially, the GPU & Motherboard. Also, is the Seagate 1TB model stable? If you happen to purchase any of the items recently, could you let me know the price. I couldn't find the Indian warranty info for some of the above items listed above. If you could list that as well, that wud be great. Appreciate any feedback/opinions/suggestions. Thank you very much.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) Hackintosh is a violation of Apple's EULA. This forum won't support "illegal" things. Sorry, but I won't be letting this thread to be run.

2) afaik, Snow Leopard Hackintosh is not available and your config "should" be fine. I'm being too generous for letting you know this.

3) Thread closed. Just make your query more "general" and start a new thread. I hope you got what I mean to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom