Need halp to build an FM receiver with speaker

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I've been struggling a bit to build a DIY radio.

I remember doing it in school. That time, I saw it in some electronics pamphlet, which involved a copper coil with many rotations around a tube and a carbon rod inside it. Now as an adult, I am unable to do it again! It is a struggle to find all the components. Would like to know if anyone has used a circuit and built an FM receiver.

Found a circuit with unclear instructions, and components missing from the requirements list, as well as wrong labels in the circuit, which were together all a pain. I am at the end of my wits when it comes to troubleshooting the build, so I'm just chucking it and going for something else.

Now I am planning to build either this one or this one.

Need some pointers, or any help. Not sure why they were not working as well. Double checked the connections and values of the components to make sure no nF was a pF or something.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
You may also look for DIY hobby kits designed with such ICs that are available in those electronic component shops in your city.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Thanks, will look at the video. I'm looking for something cheap, to learn and to be able to write about it. Yeah, saw those kits, but do not wanna use that shortcut just yet. They also seem ridiculously expensive. Trying out various circuits from the net, I could get together one kit for as little as Rs 70.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
How are you building it? On a blank prototype board? Sometimes wiring on the other side gets too messy and difficult to trace. Do you have a multimeter? Did you check for connectivity between all your components after assembling the same?

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Im using a breadboard. I did check if I had put everything in the right place and made sure the wires and the ic, capacitors and resistors were deep inside. I did not check the connectivity, how to do that?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Though I am not familiar with this,shouldn't a multimeter be able to help you in situations like these by checking for expected amperes & voltages across sections.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
Im using a breadboard. I did check if I had put everything in the right place and made sure the wires and the ic, capacitors and resistors were deep inside. I did not check the connectivity, how to do that?
Vertical lines are shorted together in a normal breadboard.

In multimeter, there is a beep mode. I will try to upload a photo once I reach home.
It beeps if the two leads have little to no resistance between them. This feature is present in al mutimeters.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^thanks, it failed. I removed everything and tested on the breadboard then also some failed. I think the breadboard was too dusty for too long, it was an old one. Will get a new breadboard now.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
^thanks, it failed. I removed everything and tested on the breadboard then also some failed. I think the breadboard was too dusty for too long, it was an old one. Will get a new breadboard now.
Breadboards have too much capacitance. It may so happen that it may not work on a breadboard.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Oh wow. Had no clue. Thanks for the info. Will first try on the breadboard, or else will solder.

Top Bottom