NEED AN EXPERT’S OPENION TO BUY A LAPTOP OF BUDGET Rs 1,00,000/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
GX said:
Apple always charges a lot more then what they should.

:lol:

here we go again....

i am out of the thread

:lol:

and Choto Cheeta, the configuration that they hav mentioned on apple india's website is old one (i.e one before apple switched to santa rosa platform)
7 they r charging a hell lot!!! but it could be possible that the site's not been updated..............

Well Arya would be best person to answer, I dont have much idea about Apple pricing, Arya owns a Apple MAC Book Pro, and more than me he is in better touch with all Apple stuff, so he is the best source of information for Apple hardwares even for me too :D

Last edited:
OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
i know dell is cheap (much cpeaher than apple's) but i really love macbook pro...their quality, design, OS X.......etc..
my first preference is apple macbook pro.

but if i could not stretch my budget then i'll definitely go for dell inspiron 1720.
BTW whats the diff. b/w 1720 & 1721?? & is 1721 available in india???
is it true that dell laptops can only be ordered thru net??

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

its actually ulta, order them via Telephone, as se in this thread, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64496&page=4

Cofig for 1520 model was Rs. 61k + TAX and Shipping and extra in the web site, where as when ordering from their toll free number it was just Rs. 53k incl all

:D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Did u tried looking at Dell 1720? Dell 1520 is hell of a deal for 15" laptop.

I just customised a Dell 1720 for you selecting the highest end parts available & comparing to MacBook Pro. It costs 93K with tax & shiping to lucknow. You can see yourself how cheap Dell is compared to Macbook Pro making it a better deal, unless you want to go specifically with Apple. here are the details for highest end config available with Dell 1720. Call them as this 93K price doesn't include the discounts that dell gives. Macbook Pro is an extortion of Apple.

*img399.imageshack.us/img399/2631/50080220az5.jpg

*img452.imageshack.us/img452/4841/29750253jn1.jpg

*img370.imageshack.us/img370/909/31470348qt6.jpg

Apple always charges a lot more then what they should. Rest is upto you to decide, even with original Office 2007, Dell will cost less then Macbook pro.
Has a poorer processor, crap operating system, no light sensor or motion sensor, no keyboard backlight, does not feature the world's best trackpad, poorer screen with much lower resolution, smaller hard drive, consumes more power, does not come in a rugged and polished anodised aluminum body and is thicker and heavier.
Plus, if someone trips on the power cord once or twice, there go your 93K down the drain. And you don't get world class tech support either.

In comparison to the MacBook Pro, it has a higher resolution camera and an internal modem.

Dunno about you but the MacBook Pro seems a lot more value for money to me.

To the original poster, I don't know why you are stuck on the Indian website when I've made it quite clear to you that it is outdated and you'll get the latest model even in India.

aks_win said:
laptops are not intended to run continuously as the desktop...i dont know if u can keep it on for lots and lots of time like your desktop !!!p
You can, if you happen to own a MacBook or MacBook Pro. I do. The current uptime is 162 days and a few hours.
I'll have to restart it today though because I have three updates waiting. :(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
v_joy said:
i know dell is cheap (much cpeaher than apple's) but i really love macbook pro...their quality, design, OS X.......etc..
my first preference is apple macbook pro.

Mac OS X can be installed on a Normal PC too, just using some jugard & illegal ways :D.

Quality, well....you have to use a dell to believe. They have a 4 sigma quality control, which is better then Apple.

Design, again...have a look at Dell 1720 & available colour options. It also comes in white if thats what u r looking for.

However, if still Apple is your primary specific concern, then go for Macbook Pro.
BTW whats the diff. b/w 1720 & 1721?? & is 1721 available in india???

1720 is Intel while 1721 is AMD

Not anymore. Dell has retail outlets in various citys now.

aryayush said:
Has a poorer processor,

Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa. The same one which apple used later after dell.

crap operating system,

Irrelevent from the mouth of a Macboy. Like I said, Mac OS X can also be installed if needed.

no light sensor or motion sensor,

Nope & yup

does not feature the world's best trackpad,

Best? How? You are the only laptop user I have seen using the trackpad
poorer screen with much lower resolution,

I selected that, There is also the 1950 pixel resolution one. Oh & Dell uses LED baklit display which Apple used after Dell

smaller hard drive,

I selected 120 GB, Maximum is 160 GB

consumes more power and is thicker and heavier.

Have you used dell in your hands? The hardware is same as MacbookPro, so same power usage.

Plus, if someone trips on the power cord once or twice,
Be careful whether it is PC or Mac
And you don't get world class tech support either.

Irrelevent from the mouth of a Macboy

In comparison to the MacBook Pro, it has a higher resolution camera and an internal modem.

Who need camera?

Dunno about you but the MacBook Pro seems a lot more value for money to me.

Irrelevent from the mouth of a Macboy

The current uptime is 162 days and a few hours.

Hmm.....why do I shutdown or hybernate when I go to sleep ;)

@ V_Joy

Hardware wise Dell 1720 is better & cheaper. Rest is your choice. If you want Apple only then talk to arya, he is the best Apple sales in this forum, & will brainwash you to spend Rs 1.5 lakh even if it is not needed

Last edited:
OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
ok..ok..ok.plz stop fighting........though dell is the best bang for the buck ...but apple.....is surely a standard in quality, they hav many innovtion, & has perfected even minute things.....but no doubt quality comes with a price......

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
v_joy said:
ok..ok..ok.plz stop fighting........

Not fighting, I m not salesman. Just showed u the truth about dell.

but apple.....is surely a standard in quality, they hav many innovtion, & has perfected even minute things.....but no doubt quality comes with a price......

Questionable. The same quality is there in Dell. Both laptops are made by Quanta if u want to know :D

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
theek hai!!!!
the conclusion is : gx_saurav is a die hard dell fan &
aryayush is a die hard apple fan!!!!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
v_joy said:
though dell is the best bang for the buck
Can't you see what is going on here?

He deliberately chose the poorer processor (2.4GHz > 2.2GHz), smaller hard drive, poorer screen to lower the price and then says it offers more bang for the buck. And he nullified some of the best qualities of the MacBook Pro for no reason at all:
1. Mac OS X;
2. Backlit keyboard with light sensors (which also control the brightness of the screen);
3. MagSafe power adapter (extremely important);
4. The trackpad (Read Nimish's review in the July issue of Digit, or read any review of the MacBook or MacBook Pro on the Internet. He has only seen me using a trackpad because only I have a machine that comes with a usable trackpad.);
5. The thickness and weight; and
6. The awesome support.

Make your own decision. Don't be swayed by him, me or anyone else. No one is an expert. You knows your needs best.

v_joy said:
theek hai!!!!
the conclusion is : gx_saurav is a die hard dell fan &
aryayush is a die hard apple fan!!!!
gx_saurav is a die hard Apple hater and Microsoft lover.

And I am a die hard Apple fan and Windows hater (not Microsoft though).

Just remember: "Make your own decision. Don't be swayed by him, me or anyone else. No one is an expert. You knows your needs best."

Last edited:
OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
YES,aayush...i got your point......
even i like apple very much....
my preference list is :
1)apple's macbook pro
2)DELL or HP. (still confused....i read the thread " HP vs DELL & there i concluded that HP is better, but now i'm again confused....)

is there anyone who's a die hard HP fan....to defent HP's name....

hey aayush which windows do u use???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I? Use Windows?!

Why would I do something so inherently stupid! :lol:

I have a full fledged, licensed copy of Mac OS X running on a fast notebook for a year straight. No viruses, slow downs or crashes. Give me one reason to use Windows.

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
ok..ok...then if u want to run an application that is designed for windows... u hav to use windows....dont u???
like games, messengers, tools or software ..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
v_joy said:
ok..ok...then if u want to run an application that is designed for windows... u hav to use windows....dont u???
like games, messengers, tools or software ..

Yup & nope.

If you buy a Mac, you can also buy a Windows XP/Vista license & run it using Bootcamp in a dual boot mode, or run it inside a Virtual Machine using Parallels. Keep in mind that running any version of Vista other then Ultimate in VM is illegal.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, only the Home version does not allow virtualisation. The Home Premium and other versions do.
And it is not as if running the Home version is difficult or requires any hacking or something. It is just a clause in the EULA. So, if you are going to use a pirated copy of Windows, like most people do, it does not matter anyway.

@v_joy
No, most of them can be run right on top of Mac OS X using a software called CrossOver. I told you this yesterday. For example, I run µTorrent even though I don't have Windows installed.

I did even have Windows till a few days ago, but I deleted it because I needed the disk space.

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
so can u run games, messengers...etc in similar way??
i want to know that does " cross over" has some limitations??

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, it does. It does not run all applications and it won't allow you to run any games. It is more of a hit-or-miss sort of thing. The application you are trying might or might not work.

But that won't be an issue because you have every sort of application for Macs too. Don't worry about that. Most Mac applications are a lot better than their Windows counterparts (but, of course, there are exceptions).

For example, I had to use µTorrent only because I wanted to alter my upload amount and that is not legally allowed and there is no way to do it on a Mac. On Windows, however, GreedyTorrent allows you to do that.

However, now that I can finally use torrents without bothering about the ratio, I don't use µTorrent anymore. Transmission is much more elegant. And µTorrent for Mac is coming soon too. Believe me, applications are the least of your worries.

The only thing you need to think about is games. For that, you will need to install Windows. Fortunately for you, Apple makes this very easy for you. Simply download Boot Camp (it will be integrated in Leopard) and it will guide you through the process of installing Windows (Vista or XP).

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
oh...this is the only drawback i can see in macbook pro (besides the price tag)....coz i'll be running games & lot of stuff. i also like to try new softwares ranging from system tweaking to anti viruses....etc.

so the only way out is i also hav to install windows if i buy this one???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Let me get this straight: you want to install Windows to try out new anti-viruses! :confused:

@Choto Cheeta, yes, but they have the 15-inch model on display. You have to order the 17-inch one specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom