Need advise on upgrading storage in desktop pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanny

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I want to upgrade my system's storage and RAM.
Here is the link to my system config detail : current pc config
I am looking to add a 2 tb 7200 or more RPM hdd in the system as the current 1 TB hdd is running out of space. Currently i have 2 X 4 GB RAM and i want to boost it to 16 gb which is the max capacity of the motherboard. I need to run virtual box , in order to run linux in it.

Is it advisable to add a SSD hdd in the current system config?

There is a issue with my graphic card (i think) because when i increase the monitors brightness the screen looks weird and when i decrease its brightness, the content on screen looks better. Is it the issue of Graphic card or monitor?

Please suggest all the options.

Thanks,

Sanny.

Attachments

• current pc config.JPG
    current pc config.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 178

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without seeing "weird" screen pics it is hard to say if it is an issue or simply poor settings.

SSD is better in all aspects if you can afford it as 250GB is the minimum one should aim for when using as an OS drive+running virtual machines.You can go for 2TB Seagate 7200rpm drive or a slower 5400rpm 2TB WD Blue.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Without seeing "weird" screen pics it is hard to say if it is an issue or simply poor settings.

SSD is better in all aspects if you can afford it as 250GB is the minimum one should aim for when using as an OS drive+running virtual machines.You can go for 2TB Seagate 7200rpm drive or a slower 5400rpm 2TB WD Blue.

How to find how many rpm's is our hdd? And how much difference does 1800 rpm's make?

sohan_92

In the zone
How to find how many rpm's is our hdd? And how much difference does 1800 rpm's make?
Crystal Disk info... A third party tool, which gives detailed analysis of all your HDDs.

More the rpm, faster the data delivery. 7200rpm hdd will give you around 33% faster data delivery than 5400rpm. And don't get confused HDD with SSD. For SSD, it is a different scenario.

Last edited:

sohan_92

In the zone
Higher rpm also means higher temps so if you constantly copy/pasting from a 7200rpm hdd,it is recommended to keep an eye on hdd temps especially if your room does not have an AC.
That's one of the important factor for HDD performance I missed out. Thanks for the heads up.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Crystal Disk info... A third party tool, which gives detailed analysis of all your HDDs.

More the rpm, faster the data delivery. 7200rpm hdd will give you around 33% faster data delivery than 5400rpm. And don't get confused HDD with SSD. For SSD, it is a different scenario.

Thanks. I know the difference between HDD and SSD though.

Higher rpm also means higher temps so if you constantly copy/pasting from a 7200rpm hdd,it is recommended to keep an eye on hdd temps especially if your room does not have an AC.

There wasn't much price difference between the two when I purchased the HDD. WD blue is loved by members here. I didn't know about rpms. So, went with the blue one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom