Need a new cabinet in 2-3k range.

bigdaddy

Right off the assembly line
The guy at the counter told me that the SilverStone PS03 has USB 3.0. I left the place because I had to meet up with a friend. Checked online and nowhere did it say that there was a USB 3.0 version of it available. And posted about it here.

Decided to buy it if it had a USB 3.0 on the front panel. Went back. I told him the website says it doesn't. He confirmed it doesn't. Asked him about the Source 210, if it'll come anytime soon. He said they aren't ordering any new stock of the lower range NZXTs.

Dropped the plan for the SilverStone. And again to waiting for SnapDeal to ship the BitFenix Merc Alpha.

How about checking coolermaster Force 500 Cooler Master Cm Chassis Force 500
it has lot of space and comes with USB 3.0. I find prime bagb also selling this

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman

How about checking coolermaster Force 500 Cooler Master Cm Chassis Force 500
it has lot of space and comes with USB 3.0. I find prime bagb also selling this

^ OP has already bought Bitfenix Merc Alpha.

Haha :).

I brought back the cabinet to Mumbai over the weekend. Will assemble it today, most probably. Will post the pictures thereafter :D.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
As promised before, here are the photos :D.

Before (the iBall cabinet):
View attachment 13311

The BF Merc Alpha, before inserting the new parts:
View attachment 13312

BF Merc Alpha, after:
View attachment 13313

And finally, in place under the desk:
View attachment 13314

One thing that I'd want help with is the fact that one of my front USB 3.0 ports isn't working. I Googled it and found it can be either a header problem or on the motherboard side.

I checked the motherboard and the 20-1 pin for the USB 3.0 jack appears to have only 20-pins and I can see the shiny bottom of the '1' pin, as if it is broken. I checked for the pin diagram of the 20-1 USB 3.0, and unline USB 2.0 (which has the '1' pin as a NC pin), the USB 3.0 pin has a function of Vbus. Does that mean that the voltage that is to be supplied to one port, isn't happening correctly, and thus it's only one of the 2 ports which isn't working?

Because of that, I think it is the motherboard at fault and not the cabinet. If someone here can confirm this, or correct me soon, it'd be great, so that I can take further steps to get the faulty part(s) replaced.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
As promised before, here are the photos :D.

Before (the iBall cabinet):
View attachment 13311

The BF Merc Alpha, before inserting the new parts:
View attachment 13312

BF Merc Alpha, after:
View attachment 13313

And finally, in place under the desk:
View attachment 13314

One thing that I'd want help with is the fact that one of my front USB 3.0 ports isn't working. I Googled it and found it can be either a header problem or on the motherboard side.

I checked the motherboard and the 20-1 pin for the USB 3.0 jack appears to have only 20-pins and I can see the shiny bottom of the '1' pin, as if it is broken. I checked for the pin diagram of the 20-1 USB 3.0, and unline USB 2.0 (which has the '1' pin as a NC pin), the USB 3.0 pin has a function of Vbus. Does that mean that the voltage that is to be supplied to one port, isn't happening correctly, and thus it's only one of the 2 ports which isn't working?

Because of that, I think it is the motherboard at fault and not the cabinet. If someone here can confirm this, or correct me soon, it'd be great, so that I can take further steps to get the faulty part(s) replaced.

nice :)
only one front usb 3.0 port not working? assuming your mobo has only one usb 3 header, it must support 2 usb 3.0 ports. so if one usb 3.0 port works fine, i guess it may not be a mobo problem.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman

Yes, only one of them is not working. It has a single header, which supports 2 ports.

My doubt about the mobo problem is because of that missing pin, which appears broken, and the pin diagram (linked to in the previous post) has the '1' pin missing making it a 20-pin port instead of the expected 20-1 pin.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Yes, only one of them is not working. It has a single header, which supports 2 ports.

My doubt about the mobo problem is because of that missing pin, which appears broken, and the pin diagram (linked to in the previous post) has the '1' pin missing making it a 20-pin port instead of the expected 20-1 pin.

in my mobo, there are exactly 19 pins, 19th being Vbus . even in your 24 pin mobo power connector you will see missing pins. it was made available in the past and later removed as they are no longer needed. i still think the mobo is error free. can you see any signs broken pin there? upload an image if possible.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't know if it is related but when i got bitfenix merc(non-usb3),after removing front panel(it is a bit tricky) to check for front fan install,i noticed that front panel connector was not plugged in completely so i gently pushed it to fit it properly.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
in my mobo, there are exactly 19 pins, 19th being Vbus . even in your 24 pin mobo power connector you will see missing pins. it was made available in the past and later removed as they are no longer needed. i still think the mobo is error free. can you see any signs broken pin there? upload an image if possible.

I just opened it up and clicked a photo. Here: View attachment 13315.

It has 18 pins. The 19th pin which should be, appears broken. There is a silver-ish at the bottom, as if there were a pin there before but isn't now. (I hope you can see that in the attached photograph.)

don't know if it is related but when i got bitfenix merc(non-usb3),after removing front panel(it is a bit tricky) to check for front fan install,i noticed that front panel connector was not plugged in completely so i gently pushed it to fit it properly.

It is scary, rather than tricky! Just opened and made sure that all the connectors are tight. Nothing.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I just opened it up and clicked a photo. Here: View attachment 13315.

It has 18 pins. The 19th pin which should be, appears broken. There is a silver-ish at the bottom, as if there were a pin there before but isn't now. (I hope you can see that in the attached photograph.)

It is scary, rather than tricky! Just opened and made sure that all the connectors are tight. Nothing.

so there are only 18 pins ,right? i guess there must be 19(as it is 19 in my case), so the issue is related to mobo. But again, how does one usb 3.0 port work without any problem?

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
so there are only 18 pins ,right? i guess there must be 19(as it is 19 in my case), so the issue is related to mobo. But again, how does one usb 3.0 port work without any problem?

Yes, just 18 instead of the expected 19.

My assumption is that each USB3.0 bus has a separate Vbus (there are 2 Vbus pins in the pin diagram, diagonal to one another). The broken pin disables is not letting one port function, while the other works without an issue. Again, assumption.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, just 18 instead of the expected 19.

My assumption is that each USB3.0 bus has a separate Vbus (there are 2 Vbus pins in the pin diagram, diagonal to one another). The broken pin disables is not letting one port function, while the other works without an issue. Again, assumption.

yeah, the issue is with your mobo.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Yup, it was.

I kinda did a hack fix. Inserted a rolled multi-strand wire where the broken pin would've gone, left a part of it out just enough to touch the pin below.

Seems to have fixed it and can use both the USB3.0 ports.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
^ you should get it RMA'd now or you'll be denied warranty later on ti ground of presence of physical damage.

Do motherboards get RMA'd too? Didn't know that :O. Thought it would be a carry-in and thus am reluctant.

Besides, I bought the mobo a year ago. Would they still RMA it?

It's 5 years. I checked it.

Just to be clear, RMA is they picking up the faulty part from my home and delivering the new one at the same time, right?

RMA means manufacturer repairing products under warranty for free. It will most probably be a walk0in submission.

Top Bottom