Need a laptop for general purpose home use (30-35K)

dshirvaikar

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
30-35K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: DELL, HP, Toshiba, SONY, Lenovo
b. Dislike:ASUS, Acer

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Office work (Word proc/Excel - MS Office)
Occassional programming using a RAD tool with simple db like SQL Server Express
Moderate games (mostly by the kids)

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Anything will be OK, not looking for anything high-end in this budget...

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Local purchase in Mumbai...would be thankful if u indicate a good dealer...
Also, I plan to get a 15" LCD monitor and keyboard for ease of use at home which I will connect to the laptop. Would prefer wireless, if it is possible...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Lenovo Essential G Series G580 (59-324061) Laptop 3rd Gen Ci5/4GB/500GB/DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Lenovo Notebook

You can get about 1k cheaper in local market.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@dshirvaikar
1HP g62005ax
2Lenovo g580

Both would suffice all your needs.
The HP one is better for gaming.
Lenovo g580 has a bit better processor and accutype keyboard.
Both have full/numeric keyboard.

HP has much much better graphics.
Go with the hp one if you have plans of gaming.

aroraanant

Explorer
Have a look at HP 2000 2116TU, this is the best option spec wise but it is HP so I doubt whether it will have any heating issues or not.
And do check out these options also

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^spec wise Lenovo g580 is better than HP 2000 2116TU.
Comes with more RAM and usb3.0 ports.

OP
D

dshirvaikar

Broken In
Have a look at HP 2000 2116TU, this is the best option spec wise but it is HP so I doubt whether it will have any heating issues or not.
And do check out these options also

Hi aroraanant,

Had a look at the options u mentioned in the link. I am not sure about Samsung's competency in this area. Though the specs look good, I would rather go with a maker who has been there, done that, so Samsung is not really a choice I would go with. Asus looks interesting. Will check it out....

aroraanant

Explorer
Samsung laptops are pretty good many of my known friends are using them and they haven't faced any issues till yet.

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
IMO, you should go with the 3rd gen i5 and in the lowest range HP 2000-2116TU and Lenovo G580 are only available. HP is a bit heat prone as I am using it by myself for hardcore programming and lenevo is no doubt a good laptop. I suggest to go with HP, though spec-wise it is a bit lower than lenevo. The market price of HP is around 32,900 INR. Lenevo no idea... An extra 4GB (1.6K) DDR3 1600 FSb RAM on HP will make it a good one to go.

The difference is really in M/B as lenevo uses B75 (desktop chipset) and HP uses HM76 (Mobile chipset), if you are interested to know more, see the link: Intel Announces the 7-Series Panther Point Chipset, Twelve Chipset Models Detailed

OP
D

dshirvaikar

Broken In
Re: Need a laptop for general purpose home use (30-35K) - more competition and hence queries

Post my earlier message, I have received quotes from DELL as follows:
1. Inspiron 15 (2nd gen Core i3-2370, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 15.6" LED screen) loaded with Win 7 Home with 1-year warranty - Rs 35,100/-
2. Inspiron 15 (3nd gen Core i5-3210, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 15.6" LED screen) loaded with Win 7 Home with 1-year warranty - Rs 39,200/-

The DELL salesperson also offered me I15 @i3 with 3-year warranty @42800.

Now I had almost finalized on HP G6 2005AX (AMD quad-core) since I did not require anything very heavy and graphics in this were supposed to be better than Intel, when this happened, again creating a dilemma for me. The questions in my mind which I need answered are:
1. The DELL salesperson mentioned that there is no 3rd gen I3. Is this true? I thought I did read somewhere on the Net as well as in ads i newspaers advertising laptops based on 3rd gen I3 (refer Mumbai Mirror for 09-09-12- Reliance Retail is selling this).
2. Does it make sense to go for a 2nd gen I3 now (even if for low, gen . purpose requirements) when 3rd gen I5 and I7 are already here? It may be a matter of time before I3 gives way.
2. Does it make sense to pay another 7000 odd to get a 3-year all-cover warranty from DELL considering that hardly anything happens to a laptop in general use?
3. How does AMD -quad core (Trinity, I think) compare wit Intel? Is it closer to I3 than I5?

Awaiting your replies keenly.

duke123

In the zone
Re: Need a laptop for general purpose home use (30-35K) - more competition and hence queries

A g6 2005ax user here..
the processor is better than i3 but not good as i5..but i have used this for almost 2 months now...i am quite satisfied..just normal usages..i didint experience any problems or lags...i am also playing games at high settings...
HP is giving 2 year warranty free and 3 year warranty at 1700 much cheaper than DELL...i dont know about the difference in quality of service by DELL and HP...but i think HPs is quite good
Back to Campus

rider

as Kratos
@dshirvaikar I have used both hp and dell laptop and I found that quality and service wise hp is truly better for me. Dell salesman sounds n00b, he is saying that there is no 3rd gen core i3 in the market. Tell him hp india is selling new models in less price. There is no point to get 2nd gen laptop if you are getting newer one with less price.

Top Bottom