Need a Graphics card

hannibal2469

Journeyman
Hi guys,
My computer configuration is as follows
Flatron w1941s Monitor resolution 1366 x 768 no plans to change this in the near future.
DG41ty motherboard
4 gb ddr2 ram
q8400 2.6 ghz processor
9400gt graphics card
Power supply Circle CPH 693 wattage is not written but i heard it wont be good enough not very keen on buying a new PSU please tell me whether this is good enough

I want to play games like starcraft 2, rome 2 total war and many more.(Actually never had the gpu to play awesome and latest games and i dont want that again so please take into consideration the latest FPS, RPG and other genre games)
Please suggest a graphics card which wont force me to lower the settings i dont want to compromise on graphics quality. I dont have any idea on what budget to have i want to play the current games of course but also want to have at least a bit of future proofing maybe upto 1 year.

Note - i have looked around in the forums and it looks like i wont need anything more than the HD 7770 specially considering the resolution of my screen.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
even the 7770 will be overkill for you. also, i'm in doubt with your PSU, so any GPU with extra Power will be risky.

7750 is a safe option.

Last edited:
OP
H

hannibal2469

Journeyman
even the 7770 will be overkill for you. also, i'm in doubt with your PSU, so any GPU with extra Power will be risky.

7750 is a safe option.

Thanks for the response....are you sure about that? coz this years titles are metro last light, grid 2 etc do you think 7770 is overkill even at 1366x768 i feel it wont be, could you explain why you think that?...plus the 7770 is rs 7770 and the 7750 is rs 6100 both gigabyte editions...wouldnt it be worth it to go for 7770?

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
7750 is a safe option.
@anirbandd how do you came to the conclusion that 7770 is overkill for that resolution?

@op for current games with full settings at your resolution atleast a 650Ti boost is required. Anything below like 650 or 7790 you will have to settle for med - highest mix settings for next games in near future.
get atleast a good PSU like seasonic eco 500 ~ 3.5K

OP
H

hannibal2469

Journeyman
Guys the reason i was hesitant to go with a more expensive gpu is that i highly doubt my 4 gb of ram and the q8400 will bottleneck the GPU, do you think the cpu and ram that i have will support it then i will go with this, coz the future proofing that the 650 ti boost provides will only be valid if the ram and cpu support it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
But HD 7770 will work fine with your CPU. But a better PSU is must. Get HD 7770 + Antec VP450 (2.6K). 4GB Ram is okay.

Last edited:
OP
H

hannibal2469

Journeyman
But HD 7770 will work fine with your CPU. But a better PSU is must. Get HD 7770 + Antec VP450 (2.6K). 4GB Ram is okay.

I have a 450 watt intex PSU 6 years old will that do? also does the d41 motherboard have right version of pci express for the hd 7770?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@anirbandd how do you came to the conclusion that 7770 is overkill for that resolution?

@op for current games with full settings at your resolution atleast a 650Ti boost is required. Anything below like 650 or 7790 you will have to settle for med - highest mix settings for next games in near future.
get atleast a good PSU like seasonic eco 500 ~ 3.5K

i didnt read that OP wanted to play latest games at full settings :p my bad. corrected.

but there is something which happens when a powerful GPU is used with low res. the GPU pumps out frames fast enough, but the CPU lags behind. [something akin to that, im not completly sure, so correct me if im wrong]. earlier i had 1024x768 + HD7770. when i installe dHitman Absolution, the game lagged like hell.

then after upgrading my monitor to 1600x900, it became all right, smooth. so take that into account too. ;)

rock2702

Padawan
Your cpu will not be a huge bottleneck for the hd 7770, just a bit.I suggest you go with a 7770 or a 7790 and a decent psu.

OP
H

hannibal2469

Journeyman
@cilus thanks will go with the hd 7770 and the antec psu you suggested do i need to check whether the motherboard is prepared to handle the card?, my board has two white slots(they are probably pci express) and one black slot(AGP i think) i am not sure which version of pcie it requires and which one my mobo has please help me out with this.
This is what intel's website says about the dg41ty
Expansion Options
PCI Support - 2
PCIe x1 Gen 2.x - 1
PCIe x4 Gen 2.x - 0
PCIe x8 Gen 2.x - 0
PCIe x16 Gen 2.x - 1

My guess is the one 16x slot should be enough for my card also what about the version of PCI express

Also which version of hd 7770 should i go for? are versions of this card performing the same?

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
I have a 450 watt intex PSU 6 years old will that do? also does the d41 motherboard have right version of pci express for the hd 7770?
Intex PSUs are plain right bad. They are good for 150W to 200Wish draw anything above that and you may see the holy smoke. They are advertised as 450W units but they can barely provide 200W continuous power.

if you are short on budget atleast get this. It's bare minimum.

install the card at slot D(PCIex16 2.0)
*i.imgur.com/CetzjrZ.png

OP
H

hannibal2469

Journeyman
thanks...but does the version of PCI express supported by my mobo matter?? also which hd 7770 is the best asus, gigabyte sapphire?

OP
H

hannibal2469

Journeyman
prices, performance, reliability of the brand and experiences of users with each i am sure it is a popular card and many must have used it here at digit.

rock2702

Padawan
Go with sapphire or msi 7770.Don't get a reference blower type card, they get hot and loud when you overclock.Get the non reference version of this card.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@OP: check out my 7770 hyperlink in my siggy . its an MSI.

and dont hope to get much out of overclocking. 7770's dont OC much. and they are voltage locked.

PS: get the PSU first.

Cilus

laborare est orare
And regarding OP's query about PCI-E Versions, all the PCI-E versions are backward compatible with the older version. So the PCI-E 3.0 based HD 7770 will work fine with your Motherboard's PCI-E 2.0 slot. But for avoiding compatibility issues, update the Motherboard BIOS to its latest version.

Top Bottom