Need a budget phone for dad

jibin1991

Broken In
Need a budget phone for dad. Help!

Hey guys need some advice for buying a budget phone for my dad. Phone will be used for voice call mainly with little bit of texting and songs.
1. Budget?
<6.5k.

2. Display type and size?
>2.4 inch. If touchscreen need a capacitive one

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Bar

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Nokia>Sony>Samsung>LG

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Numpad/ touchscreen

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Doesn't matter much >2MP will do

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Symbian/ASHA platform/Android

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G .Wifi will be nice if available.

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
none

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
in decreasing order of use
Calling>multimedia>texting>camera>mails>internet and gaming

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Nokia 301,501,206
Xperia Tipo

12. Any other info that you want to share
Not much into android phones because most of them lag considering this price point. call quality,build quality and battery backup will be given preference.Do Suggest Indian brands if they have acceptable built quality friends had bad experiences with micromax,karbonn etc. Dont want galaxy Y(used before)

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
With that kind of budget, requirements and choices of models, I think you have answered yourself.

Lets see what you want in short:
Less than 6.5k
2 MP cam
No Android (since for dad)

For this the perfect phone seems to be: Nokia Asha 311. With 3" screen, Gorilla Glass, 3.2 mp cam, WiFi 140 MB internal memory its perfect for your dad.

That would be a traditional choice though. Now lets see what is other option if you want to have for your dad something radical.
You can go with Windows phone, Lumia 510 at around 7200. Reason is simple. It's good for someone as our dads.

I recently bought Lumia 520 for my dad on father's day. And it's a good experience for him since he always used traditional phones till now. The hardware is awesome. UI is so fluid. And everything is just simple (large tiles, fewer options in context menu etc). And that's probably because, unlike Android, Windows phones are not meant to be a PC replacement. :)P)

I should warn you though you can't really compare Lumia 520 with Lumia 510. Those have a lot of a difference. But if you really can't spend around 2000 extra for Lumia 520, and you want to experience modern phone, then you can go for Lumia 510.

OP
J

jibin1991

Broken In
@vyom .Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I totally forgot about the 510. Wont be considering the 520 he himself said that stick with lesser expensive phone :). L510 have 256 mb ram I guess. Is the UI smooth as the old symbian phones?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Xperia E is available at that price i think.. maybe slightly more..
There's also Huawei Y300 for 7k (4 inch display, Android Jellybean, 512MB RAM, 5MP cam)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Android is something you can't recommend, if you want to buy a battery conscious phone.

L510 have 256 mb ram I guess. Is the UI smooth as the old symbian phones?

One thing I can vouch for in Windows phone is the fluidity. It will be smooth. But you may not play good games on 256 RAM. Or watch a >720p video. But I guess your dad wont have to. You can watch the video reviews of Lumia 510 on YT. Like this: Nokia Lumia 510 Review - YouTube

As said in the video, it will last a day and a half on moderate usage. So, if you think your dad can use some modern touch and charging is no problem, then 510 is your best bet.
On the other hand, if you want better battery life, then Nokia Asha 311 is perfect.

Last edited:
OP
J

jibin1991

Broken In
@Nerevarine : thanks for the reply but i think I will stay away from low end androids. I am currently using a Neo V and well.. its struggling.
@Vyom. thanks.Let me check on the L510.Saw it on univercell for 6k couple of days ago.

Top Bottom