Need a 60K Moniterless PC for Virtualization.

Adiosped

Right off the assembly line
Hello People,

(Date Question Posted: 6 June 2015)
I am trying to build a pc solely for running vmware machines(atleast 2-4 at a time using 2gb RAM each running Linux OS) and editing small videos for youtube (may be one or 2 videos a month). Being able to play latest games and watch HD movies is my secondary need.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Should be able to Run Virtualitazation softwares like vmware running running atleast 2 - 4 machines at a time. Would also be rendering just one or two 10 min videos a month.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 60k is my current budget. Can be extended to 67k max.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not at all

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Will be doind a dual boot. Primary operating system will be Windows 7 64 bit. Second OS will be CentOS 7 64 bit. (VM's will run 64 bit Linux/Unix machines so pls consider CPU's with intel vt -x/d support)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 tb ( Planning to add WD Cavier Black)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No - I already have Dell S2420L 24 inch monitor with Resolution: 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Before the end of this month (June 2015)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No - will use help from an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Living in mumbai, laminton road is a local computer market here, but I am afraid of mind manupalation :p bcas once i go into the market the vendors are very smart to divert from one config to other. Hence i would try buying most parts online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Yes

I have mad up mind to buy an i7 4690 Processor due to some of my virtuallization requirements and it is the lowest cost preffered i7 CPU(feel free to divert me :D )

This the configuration I am revolving around:

CPU - intel 4790 - 21000 Rs
Ram - Ripjaws 2x8GB F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL - 13500
Harddisk - WD cavier black 1tb - 6000
UPS - APC 1100VA UPS - 6000
DVD writer - xyz - 1500
SMPS - Not Sure which and how to buy
Cabinet - Not sure which one to buy(was looking for one with atleast 3 usb plugs in front but its ok if there are only 2 present)
Custom CPU Cooler- had planned cooler master hyper 212 evo but unsure of it
motherboard - This is the place where I am stuck, Other parts i cud manage but should i buy a z97 or z87. Probably planning to go with a mother board having integrated graphics.
Graphic card is not a requirement as I am planning to add it in a later stage in may be 6-8 months.
I can also cut down on HDD and buy a 500gb hdd for now if ur specs exceed my budget

Please feel free to suggest a different Configuration other than that stated above.
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
ProcessorIntel Xeon E3 1246 v3
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
MotherboardGIGABYTE GA-H81M-S13,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 16GB(8GBx2) 1600MHz
UPS
CyberPower BU1000VA
Power SupplyAntec VP500PC
CabinetCooler Master Elite 311
Internal StorageWD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Optical DriveAsus DRW-24D3ST DVD/RW1,000
MonitorAOC i2276VWM 22" LED IPS8,800
KeyboardDell MK200 Keyboard and Mouse800
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total62,000

OP
A

Adiosped

Thnks for the reply ... but
I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse :)
N also i dont wanna go for xeon processor bcas it does not have a graphics processor inbuilt n i dont want to spend on a seperate gpu right now ....any other config suggestions

OP
A

Adiosped

Hey thanks for the config suggesstion but,

I already hav a keyboard mouse and a monitor,
Also I dont want to use xeon processors because though they r meant for virtualization machines they dont have and inbuilt graphics processor and I will have to buy it seperately. I want to buy a good graphic card but cant afford it right away so i will spending like 8 months without it and that is the reason i would like to stick to i7 processor which have intel HD graphic inbulit for my full HD monitor that will sail me for 8 months.

Thanks a lot for your suggesstions, i will consider some parts by you, need to do some research..

Waiting for more Config suggesstions

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thnks for the reply ... but
I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse :)
N also i dont wanna go for xeon processor bcas it does not have a graphics processor inbuilt n i dont want to spend on a seperate gpu right now ....any other config suggestions

Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 has in built iGPU so need for a separate GPU so go for it.OK.

ProcessorIntel Xeon E3 1246 v323,000
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO1,600
MotherboardGIGABYTE GA-H81M-S13,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 16GB(8GBx2) 1600MHz9,000
UPSCyberPower BU1000VA4,000
Power SupplyAntec VP500PC3,500
CabinetCooler Master Elite 3112,300
Internal StorageWD Caviar Black 1TB HDD6,500
Optical DriveAsus DRW-24D3ST DVD/RW1,100
MonitorNone0
KeyboardDell MK200 Keyboard and Mouse1,000
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total55,500

My suggestion -

Processor
Intel Xeon E3-1246 V322,700
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
MotherboardAsus H97-PLUS
Memory
Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8 GB
Graphics CardSapphire R7 240 1 GB Boost
SSDnone0
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 620 W5,600
CabinetCorsair 400R5,500
Internal StorageSeagate Baraccuda 2 TB5,800
Optical Drivenone
Monitornone
Keyboardnone
Mousenone
Total62,400

This will run VM like butter. With all visualization glitters and 16 GB RAM you'll be fine with everything. The discreet graphic card will offload some work from CPU for even smoother experience. Xeons are best for such tasks. They are essentially i7s.

moonkhan1

I want to build a PC - need advise on identifying a good brands for various components & configuration?

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=316094]moonkhan1[/MENTION],

For suggestions, You need to fill up this form to get best Pc suggestions - *www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Don't post another thread for same query. @mods please merge this thread with:
*www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...decided-please-advice-if-they-compatible.html

OP
A

Adiosped

Hey thanks a lots guys [MENTION=146650]nikhilsharma007nikx[/MENTION] and @ikhilsharma007nikx and [MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] for helping people like us. I really respect guys like you :)

I have taked mixed config from advices of multiple people and come up this config Parts decided - Please advice if they are compatible.

I am a bit confused with the processor .. I compared the i7 4790 processor with the xeon processor suggested by people on this forum and found that they are almost 99% same -- just one difference the xeon one supports something called memory correction. and the i7 one has a few more features that are not there on the xeon processsor. I dont know why i am more inclined towards the i7 processor.

I did a week of research and came up with this config: can u guys please suggest if these are compatible with each other:

Monitor Keyboard Mouse --- Already bought
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor
INTEL i7 4790
Amazon.in: Buy Intel Core i7-4790 Processor - BX80646I74790 Online at Low Prices in India | Intel Reviews & Ratings

1&keywords=i7+4790
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard
Asus H97- pro
Amazon.in: Buy H97-Pro ASUS LGA1150 Socket MotherBoard Online at Low Prices in India | Asus Reviews & Ratings
Optical Drive - Coupon code: COMPACC5 5% Extra off
Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive - Buy Online at Rs.1079 | Snapdeal.com Specifications
Storage
WD Black 1TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive: Amazon.in: Electronics
Power Supply
Antec True Power 650W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit
*www.amazon.in/Antec-True-Power-650W-Supply/dp/B00HGFYGOS#productDetails
Memory
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) PC DRAM (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)
*www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripjawsx-...dram-f3-12800cl10d-16gbxl/p/itmd8bc6bjdvpucr?

pid=RAMD8BC6AV3GXS9G&ref=L%3A3470388192694714761&srno=b_19
CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
*www.snapdeal.com/product/cooler-master-hyper-tx3-evo/592777
Cabinet
Cooler Master Chassis FORCE 500 Cabinet
*www.snapdeal.com/product/cooler-master-chassis-force-500/1427941
============ or =============
Corsair CC-9011053-WW Carbide Series SPEC-03 Steel White LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black)
*www.amazon.in/Corsair-CC-9011053-WW-Carbide-SPEC-03-Mid-Tower/dp/B00J63KSJA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_6?

ie=UTF8&refRID=0KV2S63W39VPCP3W9C4D
UPS
APC BE800-IND UPS
*www.snapdeal.com/product/apc-be800ind-ups/1754000562#prdsc

- - - Updated - - -

I want to start the shopping any how from tommorow... :)

> Memory correction is something designed for server usage, It requires ECC memory to work. You don't need it in daily use. Both will be just fine. Get whichever you get cheaper :)

> No need for WD Black. Get WB Blue instead which will cost only ~₹ 3500.

OP
A

Adiosped

thanks [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] for clearing this confusion :)
just a few more last minute doubts --
1) will that cpu cooler fit my motherboard(i didnt see lga 1150 anywhere on tht cpu coolers page) ?
2) Is that ups enough for this build ... (Can some1 suggest some better UPS option for this built - i dont mind the budget overflow)

Rest all things think i am good .. thanks a lot guys for prompt replies.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=315760]Adiosped[/MENTION] : drop the GSkill ram and go for Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Blu 8GBx2 better speed at lower price.

Cooler: get the CM Hyper 212x. stellar performance, and keeps the CPU much much cooler than the TX3 under extended periods of load.

Cabinet: Get something in the next higher range, ~4-4.5k. a cabinet is not something you'll buy incase you have a change in components.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=315760]Adiosped[/MENTION],

Overall, I like your PC build and its all compatible to each other and easily fit in cabinet, but I also noticed that you choose only HDD for storage. I'd suggest you to add the SSD in your build. The SSD mostly used as the OS/boot drive or storage drive. It all depends on your choice and budget. I agree that the SSD is expensive, however, they are worth for every penny.

Top Bottom