Need 7" tablet as phone replacement

Chetan1991

Youngling
Need 7" tablet as phone replacement

I'm looking for a 7" tablet to replace my old lg O1. It must have 3G and enough battery backup to replace a phone. I also intend to do heavy browsing and some text editing with a bt. keyboard. So the more power it has the better. Budget 16k, but can be extended by 3-4k if its really worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

If prices of some excellent devices are about to drop, I can wait a while (~1 month.)

- - - Updated - - -

:bump:

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Would it have enough power? Its a 2012 product after all. Also it doesn't support voice calling. So can't replace a phone.

Last edited:
OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
There are virtually no reviews comparing Asus Fonepad 7 and HP slate Voicetab.
The only big difference seems to be a dual core intel atom vs quad core marvell processor, and I have no Idea how much that matters in tablets. HP slate tab doesn't seem to justify the price with avg. performance while Asus fonepad 7's performance seem to be pretty good (comparable to nexus 7) while being cheap.

Are there any new voice calling tablets to be released within the coming month? I can wait if it's worth it.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
There are virtually no reviews comparing Asus Fonepad 7 and HP slate Voicetab.
The only big difference seems to be a dual core intel atom vs quad core marvell processor, and I have no Idea how much that matters in tablets. HP slate tab doesn't seem to justify the price with avg. performance while Asus fonepad 7's performance seem to be pretty good (comparable to nexus 7) while being cheap.

Are there any new voice calling tablets to be released within the coming month? I can wait if it's worth it.

Not in India, here we'll get scamsung galaxy cr@p.

Arjun609

The Don's Decision.
Go for Nexus 7C wiht voice calling
FlipKart
2013 :Google Nexus 7 C 2013 Tablet Price in India - Buy Google Nexus 7 C 2013 Tablet 32 GB Online - Asus: Flipkart.com
2012:Google Nexus 7C - 1B013A 2012 Tablet Price in India - Buy Google Nexus 7C - 1B013A 2012 Tablet 32 GB Online - Asus: Flipkart.com

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Go for Nexus 7C wiht voice calling
FlipKart
2013 :Google Nexus 7 C 2013 Tablet Price in India - Buy Google Nexus 7 C 2013 Tablet 32 GB Online - Asus: Flipkart.com
2012:Google Nexus 7C - 1B013A 2012 Tablet Price in India - Buy Google Nexus 7C - 1B013A 2012 Tablet 32 GB Online - Asus: Flipkart.com

Neither of them supports voice calling.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Re: Need 7" tablet as phone replacement

I'm looking for a 7" tablet to replace my old lg O1. It must have 3G and enough battery backup to replace a phone. I also intend to do heavy browsing and some text editing with a bt. keyboard. So the more power it has the better. Budget 16k, but can be extended by 3-4k if its really worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

If prices of some excellent devices are about to drop, I can wait a while (~1 month.)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think such will happen now. On the contrary prices will rise further than before.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling

Asus phonepad seems to be better with its powerful Atom processor, also cheap at ~12,000, I'm just worried about its standby time. The 1 GB RAM is holding me back from buying it (I browse with a LOT of tabs open.)

There are very few reviews of HP voicetab, and it doesn't seem to have a powerful processor or anything else to justify the extra 5k price.

I don't think such will happen now. On the contrary prices will rise further than before.

Why not? No new devices arriving?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA

Asus phonepad seems to be better with its powerful Atom processor, also cheap at ~12,000, I'm just worried about its standby time. The 1 GB RAM is holding me back from buying it (I browse with a LOT of tabs open.)

There are very few reviews of HP voicetab, and it doesn't seem to have a powerful processor or anything else to justify the extra 5k price.

Why not? No new devices arriving?
Just think about some of the Tablets to be launched now(even the crappy MMX company's LapTab) and others which were promised,but haven't seen the light of the day in Indian market.They may have launched elsewhere...

Actually you may have to wait till June 2014,because the bullsh!t elections will be over by then,and hopefully(!!!????) a stable Govt. might be formed.

It is after that when products will enter Indian Market responding to Geo-Political scenario then...

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
So Asus Fonepad 7 it is then.
What about accessories? Has anyone used this keyboard case? It should fit since nexus 7 and fonepad 7 are nearly the same size.
I'll also need a Bluetooth headset, so anyone knows a decent model within 2k? I wear glasses, so would over the ear designs fit?

Last edited:
OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling

Just think about some of the Tablets to be launched now(even the crappy MMX company's LapTab) and others which were promised,but haven't seen the light of the day in Indian market.They may have launched elsewhere...

Actually you may have to wait till June 2014,because the bullsh!t elections will be over by then,and hopefully(!!!????) a stable Govt. might be formed.

It is after that when products will enter Indian Market responding to Geo-Political scenario then...

Asus just launched Fonepad 7 dual sim, at 13k.
Although it looks uglier and contains the Intel Atom Z2520, a weaker CPU, compared to original Fonepad 7's Z2560. If that wasn't so, I would have definitely bought the new Dual SIM version for extra 1k.

Here's a comparison of the CPUs:
*www.anandtech.com/show/6790/intels-clover-trail-dualcore-cpu-and-graphics-unveiled-at-mwc-2013

Do you think it will make a big performance difference? If so, I going to buy the original Fonepad 7.

- - - Updated - - -

Intel Atom Z2520 vs Z2560. anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

Top Bottom