Nee help to recover HDD data

Status
Not open for further replies.

brweb

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I was installing Kubuntu Linux in my system with the Kubuntu Alternate CD (CUI installation CD).

My system info :

- Intel Original Motherboard 102 Ggc (32 Bit)
...|- Onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Disply
...|- Onboard Realtek High Definition Audio
- CPU P4 3.06
- 256 MB DDR RAM
- 16x LG DVD Writer
- 80GB HDD
...|- C Drive 10GB fat32 for WinXP
...|- D Drive 20GB fat32 for Songs
...|- E Drive 20GB fat32 for Data
...|- F Drive 25GB fat32 for Web downloads

I had decided to install linux install in 13-14GB, and decided to resize F Drive because I have so many free space on it. But I know the risk of Data Loss. So, I had defragmented my F drive before linux installtion.

At the installtion time, I have selected to resize the F Partion
Manually. First I had shrink my F drive and then selected automatic use free space and create partition for Linux installation. At this time I got an warning that the cluster size is invalid and change with ****** this. I don't remember the number I got at this warning, there is just two buttons to select, cancel or ignore. I had selected ignore and the installation starts. The installtion is done. And Kubuntu linux is up and running without any error.

But when I booted on WinXP, my 98% data of my F Drive are currept. I think it is due to that warning. The cluster size is changed.

Now, I want to recover my data. And I need your help on this.

Thank you.

krinish

Journeyman
Youll require a Data recovery software. If linux is installed on the F: drive, you will eventually have to choose between loosing the Linux instalation or your Data. if you wish to have the data recovered, then you have to format the F: drive to FAT or its prior settings(Before Linux), and then run a good Data recovery software.PM me for more info.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
LINUX and windows has different Filesystems....

So u will not be able to access linux files from windows login and vice versa.....

Ranjya

Broken In
You can try testdisk .
It can run from floppy or your linux or win.
Try to repair your partitions and build a new
partition table and all your data will be there.
I once spent 15 days getting my data back
after a suse install. Got all my data back
and then found testdisk. All my efforts went
down the drain but a nice learning experience.
regards.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
you went about the installation wrongly and resizing using the linux installation is your biggest mistake...i think you should have ranish partition manager or norton partition magic to resize partition to simply matter..alas! it is too late for that...

the thing is can you see your data in linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom