National Telecom Policy 2012 Approved

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
*telecomtalk.info/national-telecom-policy-approved-no-roaming-charges-pan-india-mnp-one-nation-one-mobile-number/94730/

National Telecom Policy 2012 Approved

Highlights : New National Telecom Policy 2012 :
•One Nation-One License to mean removal of Roaming charges on Mobile phone service.
•Full Mobile Number Portability and work towards One Nation – Free Roaming.
•Efforts Towards ‘Right to Broadband’
•Affordable and reliable Broadband on demand by 2015 and to achieve 175 million broadband connections by the year 2017 and 600 million by the year 2020 at minimum 2 Mbps download speed and making available higher speeds of atleast 100 Mbps on demand.
•To revise the existing broadband download speed of 256 Kbps to 512 Kbps by end of 2012 and subsequently to 2 Mbps by 2015 and higher speeds of atleast 100 Mbps thereafter.
•Mission is to have special coverage of Remote, Rural areas across India.
•Protect consumer interest by promoting informed consent, transparency and accountability in quality of service, tariff, usage etc.
•Optimize transmission of services to consumers irrespective of their devices or locations by Fixed-Mobile Convergence thus making available valuable spectrum for other wireless services.
•Convergence of services will cover voice, data, video, Internet, VAS
• Cloud Computing, Next Generation Network including IPV6
•De-link licenses issuances & spectrum allocations
•Spectrum to be made available at market valuations
•Seek TRAI recommendation on license framework
•Will allow trading, sharing, pooling of spectrum
•Will enact a separate spectrum act

How I love the idea of no roaming charges

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
•To revise the existing broadband download speed of 256 Kbps to 512 Kbps by end of 2012 and subsequently to 2 Mbps by 2015 and higher speeds of atleast 100 Mbps thereafter.
Should be 1 Mbps atleast IMO at the end of this year.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Wow! No roaming, consumer protection etc do seem great. Hope it is implemented soon. :)
Still only 2Mbps by 2015? :/ It may seem good now, but by that time the first world countries would be far far ahead of us. :(

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
consumers will have to wait for some time before roaming charges are abolished and one-number-one-nation concept implement as DoT will first work out modalities of the new scheme before it is brought into force

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Wow! No roaming, consumer protection etc do seem great. Hope it is implemented soon. :)
Still only 2Mbps by 2015? :/ It may seem good now, but by that time the first world countries would be far far ahead of us. :(
Still ,the more the better.:-D

India can never ever catch up with the advanced countries,regarding Broadband and price issues in Hardware components/products....because,these are Inhibiting ,retardent policies by various vested interest groups,done fully intentionally.Even if we do have the resource(education,manpower,etc.) and Technical Infrastructure,the VICIOUS circle of Political Agenda + Business Agenda will go on and on....

HailStonE

Broken In
As per many sources the 2Mbps is to be made available from immediate effect & not 2015..

Differences between National Telecom Policy 2012 and Draft NTP 2011

NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum broadband speed to be 2 Mbps, Roaming charges cancelled | Original Story | Taaza News

kg11sgbg

^Hail! @HailStonE!
Great News buddy,if implemented,then we the customers would be Thankful to the "System" and Blessed by GOD.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Wish they don't come up with crap FUP plans. I'm only afraid of that.

It would be much better that if they ordered to discontinue FUP everywhere :p

Either it's Limited or Unlimited :p

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

even in FUP it has to be the said speed.. if its 2Mbps then its 2 Mbps.. they cannot decrease the speed.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^ Upto 1mbps plans should remain without FUP. But any plan with speed over 1mbps should have reasonable amount of FUP (i.e. 100GB min) to avoid abuse.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
even in FUP it has to be the said speed.. if its 2Mbps then its 2 Mbps.. they cannot decrease the speed.

Wish it to be true.

^ Upto 1mbps plans should remain without FUP. But any plan with speed over 1mbps should have reasonable amount of FUP (i.e. 100GB min) to avoid abuse.

lol..what type of abuse..??

I'm paying for High Bandwidth, just to fetch things from Internet.

So what type of abuse..??

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Wish it to be true.

its logical.. if TRAI says "for a service to be called as broadband service , then it should have a minimum of 2 MBPS download speed" then companies cannot sell plans as Broadband which is less than 2 MBPS..

what companies will do is this..
They will still retain the same FUP crap and instead of call it "Broadband" they will call it "High Speed Internet" .. this is what will happen..

kg11sgbg

Wish it to be true.

lol..what type of abuse..??

I'm paying for High Bandwidth, just to fetch things from Internet.

So what type of abuse..??

+1.
Absolutely,well said Krishnandu.
The term "abuse" itself is relative when considering the aspect of BB plans and bandwidth.
As a responsible netizen,It's my duty not to abuse on the power of the net.But,system should not be retarded nor a barrier for knowledge,amusement,fun...within the selected authentic domain.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths

Yeah, 10mbps should be min. for the year 2015. this year it should have been 2mbps.

Unlimited? I don't think so. Even big players around the world sets FUP limits, that's how they provide quality service.

2 mbps minimum lets see what our airtel will do now :D

Lets hope by the end of this year we can get 2mbps for rs 500 :p

Top Bottom